2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-06-2015, 12:16 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

Low Beams not working

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 11:39 AM
t78allgood
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by halfamil
If we knew what kind of truck you have would help you alot more.
sorry.. lol.. i have a 1997 ram 1500 regular cab short bed, with the 5.2 V8 318.

although i just found the problem on mine. the problem i was having is that when you tilt the steering wheel it would pull on the wires in the steering column and the low beams would shut off. i was taking some things apart when i tilted the wheel all the way up and the low beams came on.. lol.. so now i just need to get into the column and fix the shorted wire.. but thanks!!!!!

Old 02-26-2010, 11:53 AM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

glad ya found the problem! chasing wires is no fun

Old 02-26-2010, 12:43 PM
t78allgood

yeah.. now on to the O2 sensor.. lol..

Old 07-04-2010, 08:03 AM
2000Magnum

Having the same problem here. 2000 1500 Magnum 4x4 quad cab. High beams work, low beams do not.

Is the consensus here that the headlight switch is bad? I hate throwing parts at a problem, so I guess I need to trace the wiring.

Old 10-31-2010, 02:14 PM
murphster01

I am having the same issue with the lights but my lights turn off and on in various positions when the steering wheel is being adjusted. Could this still be the headlight switch?

Old 10-31-2010, 03:45 PM
OhioChuck
Rookie

You can try this and not spend anything. Take the plastic covers off the steering column (either 2 or 3 screws in the bottom section) - the top and bottom halves separate. You'll need to unscrew the lever for the tilt adjuster. On our 1999 2500 there was a big plug on the multifunction switch (where the turn signal/wiper stalk is) - can't remember which wire color it was but it was very obvious that one wire had pulled completely out of the connector and the one next to it was on its way out. It will be the longest wire, farthest away from the dash - it's about a quarter inch too short. I spliced in a short piece of wire, covered the splice in heat shrink, and wire-tied it to the next wire to keep it from moving. I then soldered the new end of the spliced-in wire to the connector still in the plug. I also soldered the wire that had started to pull out (they're crimped on). Problem solved. Symptoms were that the low beam headlights wouldn't work when steering column tilted down, but did work when it was tilted up. High beams worked. IIRC, factory fog lights worked OK.
Another place to check if you have factory fog lights is the relay (in the big relay/fuse box next to the battery) for the fog lights. The fog light relay can get flaky and affected operation of both the high and low beam headlights.

Hope this helps.

Chuck

Old 11-04-2010, 06:55 PM
murphster01
Smile Thanks

Originally Posted by OhioChuck
You can try this and not spend anything. Take the plastic covers off the steering column (either 2 or 3 screws in the bottom section) - the top and bottom halves separate. You'll need to unscrew the lever for the tilt adjuster. On our 1999 2500 there was a big plug on the multifunction switch (where the turn signal/wiper stalk is) - can't remember which wire color it was but it was very obvious that one wire had pulled completely out of the connector and the one next to it was on its way out. It will be the longest wire, farthest away from the dash - it's about a quarter inch too short. I spliced in a short piece of wire, covered the splice in heat shrink, and wire-tied it to the next wire to keep it from moving. I then soldered the new end of the spliced-in wire to the connector still in the plug. I also soldered the wire that had started to pull out (they're crimped on). Problem solved. Symptoms were that the low beam headlights wouldn't work when steering column tilted down, but did work when it was tilted up. High beams worked. IIRC, factory fog lights worked OK.
Another place to check if you have factory fog lights is the relay (in the big relay/fuse box next to the battery) for the fog lights. The fog light relay can get flaky and affected operation of both the high and low beam headlights.

Hope this helps.

Chuck
Thanks Chuck:

It was the purple wire with the white stripe. As soon as the covers were off, you could see the wire pulled right out of the crimped connector.

Thanks again

Mike

Old 08-01-2013, 09:02 PM
Scarfie

Originally Posted by murphster01
It was the purple wire with the white stripe. As soon as the covers were off, you could see the wire pulled right out of the crimped connector.
I found this same condition, but could not restore low beam functionality. High beams work fine. Can anyone point me to a pin-out diagram of this connector? I would like to investigate other connections in this loom and verify proper location of this purple/white stripe wire. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Scarfie

PS: I pulled the light switch and could not see any melted wires as per the discussion above

Old 08-01-2013, 10:13 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Look in the faq section for the Service Manual thread. Download the one for your truck. (or, close enough. 95 will be good for 94-95, 96 will do 96-97, 01 will do 98 and up, for the most part.)

Old 10-22-2013, 11:00 AM
rafael505

Originally Posted by t78allgood
sorry.. lol.. i have a 1997 ram 1500 regular cab short bed, with the 5.2 V8 318.

although i just found the problem on mine. the problem i was having is that when you tilt the steering wheel it would pull on the wires in the steering column and the low beams would shut off. i was taking some things apart when i tilted the wheel all the way up and the low beams came on.. lol.. so now i just need to get into the column and fix the shorted wire.. but thanks!!!!!
yes, yes, lol, i have searched everywhere seeing if otheres have had the same prob as me, That is exactly my problem too, please let me know hows its going on fixing the prob, right now my lights don't turn on even when i tilt the wheel up or down im not good at stuff like this but Ill get in there and give it a try hehe

Quick Reply: Low Beams not working