2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-06-2015, 12:16 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

Low Beams not working

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 11:17 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Originally Posted by rafael505
yes, yes, lol, i have searched everywhere seeing if otheres have had the same prob as me, That is exactly my problem too, please let me know hows its going on fixing the prob, right now my lights don't turn on even when i tilt the wheel up or down im not good at stuff like this but Ill get in there and give it a try hehe
Check and make sure the bulbs are good first, then have a look at the headlight switch.

Old 05-25-2014, 02:12 PM
iampocket
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a similar problem on my 2001 1500. Low beams don't work, but high beams do. I checked to make sure the connections were good on both the master control switch (on the steering column) and the headlight switch itself. It seems all the connections are fine. Was thinking about putting in new headlight switch to see if that fixes the problem, but I was wondering if there is a way to check to see if the switch is bad. I don't want to buy a new switch and replace just to find out that's not the problem. Any help would be greatly appreaciated. Thanks

The following users liked this post:
mello (12-01-2021)
Old 05-25-2014, 03:14 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

See where you run out of power at. This assumes that the bulbs are good.

Old 10-11-2015, 07:52 PM
Dawnygirl
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turn signal causing low headlight to not work.

Hello, my name is Dawn and I own a 2001 dodge ram sport. I am having the same problem but I took my steering column apart and the connection to the turn signal is burnt up, I can find the turn signal but the main plug in to wiring harness I can't find, the only way I say to wiring harness is because I took pictures and that's what the autoparts stores keep saying. Is there a easy way to fix besides buying a wiring harness?

Old 10-12-2015, 09:50 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Dawnygirl
Hello, my name is Dawn and I own a 2001 dodge ram sport. I am having the same problem but I took my steering column apart and the connection to the turn signal is burnt up, I can find the turn signal but the main plug in to wiring harness I can't find, the only way I say to wiring harness is because I took pictures and that's what the autoparts stores keep saying. Is there a easy way to fix besides buying a wiring harness?
Might be able to get the connector from the dealer, or, they should at least be able to point you at somewhere to get one... Other alternative would be to cut one out of a donor truck in a junk yard somewhere....

Old 02-05-2018, 03:30 PM
Justin rowley
Default 97 ram 1500

I had very similar problems with my 97 dodge ram 1500 I replaced the head ight switch last year one of the contacts on the harness had melted and this year it seems to happen again but it was the connection at the splice that melted so I just reconnected The Wire I guess every year that wire will get shorter unless it melts the harness again glad I bought the lifetime warranty for the switch

Old 02-05-2018, 04:43 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Justin rowley
I had very similar problems with my 97 dodge ram 1500 I replaced the head ight switch last year one of the contacts on the harness had melted and this year it seems to happen again but it was the connection at the splice that melted so I just reconnected The Wire I guess every year that wire will get shorter unless it melts the harness again glad I bought the lifetime warranty for the switch
Get the heavy duty headlight harness from LMC truck. It's plug and play, and uses relay to power the headlights, instead of the switch. Much better.

Old 06-06-2019, 07:17 PM
Rinn
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for leaving these threads posted. I had the same problem on my 97. Found the blue wire with the white stripe had pulled out of the harness at the multi switch. The previous owner had tried to fix it by shoving the end of a zip tie in the coupler to hold the wire. Im going to the junkyard to hopefully find a good coupler since the lock tab for that wire is broken. Just want to take the opportunity to thank everyone on here for the hours of head scratching and the money you save me with all the help you give on here. Thanks again

Old 06-06-2019, 07:23 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Rinn
Thank you for leaving these threads posted. I had the same problem on my 97. Found the blue wire with the white stripe had pulled out of the harness at the multi switch. The previous owner had tried to fix it by shoving the end of a zip tie in the coupler to hold the wire. Im going to the junkyard to hopefully find a good coupler since the lock tab for that wire is broken. Just want to take the opportunity to thank everyone on here for the hours of head scratching and the money you save me with all the help you give on here. Thanks again
We aim to please. Glad we were able to help ya out.

Old 11-21-2019, 04:22 PM
Steve Sutton
Default No low beam on one side on 02 ram 1500

Originally Posted by rocoforce
Hi, I'm new to this site and hope someone can guide me to the right area or is able to help fix my problem. I have a 2001 Ram 2500 5.9L Diesel and it's been a champ up until this fall when I crossed the 100,000 mile marker. At first, my low beam headlights seemed to quit working, then they would be OK.
When they would not work, I could switch over to the high beams and then back, usually it would fix the problem. I looked at a wiring diagram for the multifunction switch and figured it must just be a bad switch. Got a new multifunction switch from AutoZone ($59) and installed it with no problems. The lowbeams seemed to work normal again, but for just a day. Has anyone else had this issue and what was the fix? I've seen where someone said it was a loose cable, but which one? It appears that the controls to the headlights are all "Ground" related. Is it possible to hardwire a new ground with a relay and have the lowbeams on all the time, even when the highbeams are triggered? Thanks, looking forward to many great responses.
I read a and I tried it,seems stupid! Took the fcmoff of the side of fuse block and bent the tabs down toward the fuse block.... bolted it down and lights work.so I'm thinking of that is a bad design and going in too far and shorting out!

Quick Reply: Low Beams not working