2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Aged Tires, a Driving Hazard (MUST WATCH!)

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 05:30 AM
halfamil
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my mind, the tire industry is much like the auto, and oil industry. They must sell tires to stay rich. There is no doubt tire technology is being suppresed. Tires can be produced that will, last much longer, be safer, and have less rolling resistance. It's just not profitable. Many years ago NASCAR cup cars had two tires to choose, Goodyear, and Hoosier, Geoff Bodine ran Hoosier and actually finished races in the top 10 on 1 set of tires, and then all of a sudden Goodyear had the exclusive contract, and Hoosier was out. Tires are still a 10 times better than they where 30 years ago, and a 100 times better than the early days of Henry Ford, and Harvey Firestone.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:19 AM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Weldor
They are.

Since my wife and I now own a Yukon, does that mean I no longer pull any maintenance with my truck , or just the Denali?

Old 01-23-2010, 02:22 PM
Weldor
Veteran

Originally Posted by dakotas ram
where does that generalization come from? can i say that since you have a badly leaking tranny that truck owners are bad at maintenance?
Come up to Ft. McMurray and work on your truck in -55c weather and see how well that works for ya. The tranny leak is getting fixed in spring. I didn't mean to say all SUV owners are bad at maintenance, just 99.9%

Old 01-23-2010, 03:10 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Come up to Ft. McMurray and work on your truck in -55c weather and see how well that works for ya. The tranny leak is getting fixed in spring. I didn't mean to say all SUV owners are bad at maintenance, just 99.9%

Oh boy, c'mon now guys. Wheres my waders?

Where exactly did that percentile figure come from? Uranus? Sure, tire life is greatly effected by tire maintenance. But how can anyone honesty think that someone who drives a SUV does not pull maintnenance... well, 99.9% of them anyway?

I don't like being nit-picky by any means, but that is just ridiculous.

Old 01-23-2010, 04:22 PM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[quote=olyelr;1963830]Oh boy, c'mon now guys. Wheres my waders?

Where exactly did that percentile figure come from? Uranus? quote]

lol

Old 01-23-2010, 04:51 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i think the maintenance free theory comes from so many women driving them that don't even know how to (or care to learn) check the tire pressure.

Old 01-23-2010, 07:26 PM
97thumpinram

Originally Posted by Sheriff420
i think the maintenance free theory comes from so many women driving them that don't even know how to (or care to learn) check the tire pressure.
I agree, a large percentage of s.u.v. owners are soccer moms, old women, or preppy girls (near me at least) and they wouldnt know how to answer if you asked if their vehicles was up on its maintanence.

Old 01-23-2010, 08:10 PM
Weldor
Veteran

Originally Posted by 97thumpinram
I agree, a large percentage of s.u.v. owners are soccer moms, old women, or preppy girls (near me at least) and they wouldnt know how to answer if you asked if their vehicles was up on its maintanence.
Thats all I was trying to say, sorry if it rubbed some of you guys the wrong way it wasn't what I was meaning to say. And the 99.9% was from mars actually.

Old 01-23-2010, 08:28 PM
yakkier
Banned

Im finally getting around to watching that video, that is actually damn scary.

great find though

Old 01-23-2010, 09:03 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Thats all I was trying to say, sorry if it rubbed some of you guys the wrong way it wasn't what I was meaning to say. And the 99.9% was from mars actually.

Its no big deal man, I just thought your figure seamed a little far fetched...

I understand your guys thinking and all, but I wouldn't relate it with only SUV's. Its like that with all kinds of vehicles... and it surely isn't only the female's cars either.

I went out and checked the dates on my new tires. All of them were made between the 37th and the 43rd week in 2009. Im good to go for a while.

Last edited by olyelr; 01-23-2010 at 09:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Aged Tires, a Driving Hazard (MUST WATCH!)