2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Slow Start

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 09:29 PM
RonMcF
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel pressure regulator

1994 ram van 250 5.2
From a cold start, the engine will not start (it cranks fine)
if I leave the ignition swich on for 15 minutes, I hear the relay clicking then the engine will start. I replaced the relay and that did not help.
Does this sound like the fuel pressure regulator is going bad?
after it starts, I can shut it off and it will start unless it sits for a while.
Where is the fuel pressure regulator located? (is it on the fuel pump?)

Old 03-05-2010, 09:36 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

did you do any work to your truck where you needed to take off the evap purge solenoid? I had a fire under the hood of my 1996, and when I redid the wiring harness and replaces everything burnt...I PUT THE EVAP PURGE SOLENOID ON UPSIDE DOWN. Had the same problem. Then I noticed that the arrow was pointing on the wrong direction.

There are 2 places the evap purge solenoid can be, depending on year:
1. The intake manifold: On the drivers side near the firewall attached to the fuel rail bolt
2. On the left side (passenger) wheel well by the air conditioning pipes.

Try replacing that bad boy with a good junkyard piece.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:38 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

to test for fuel pressure:
Get a fiel pressure guage. And attach it to the vent on the fuel rail. YOu need to test it with the system primed.

Primes means before the starter starts spinning, so a 3/4 turn of the key. I believe it should be 49PSI.

THen start the engine, it should be about 53 PSI. But consult a haynes manual. If you do not have one, PM me, and I will check my manual tomorrow.

BTW< if you have one of these trucks...you need a Haynes and Chiltons manual. Chiltons is better for wiring diagrams.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:05 PM
lblair04
Veteran

Also, mine tested good primed and running, but didnt hold pressure for over a minute when I shut it off. Replaced fuel pump assembly and it starts within a second.

Old 03-06-2010, 12:21 PM
dungholio
Default i know what the problem is !!!!

i have a 2000 ram with the 5.9 gas. i had the exact same problem. so i changed the fuel pump. then problem solved. after i changed it. i noticed a huge difference in power and gas mileage. there is a valve in the fuel filter thats on the top of the pump, when that valve goes bad it slowly releases the fuel pressure back into the tank. the only way to change the filter/valve is to replace the entire pump/sender unit. so if that valve is going bad then more than likely the pump isn't operating at full pressure. this is very good advice so i hope this helps you

Old 07-04-2013, 01:23 PM
Nick Bain
Professional

So after Im reading this, I will buy the fuel pump assembly as I am sure that supercedes the evap valve immensly. But just for poops and giggle how could the evap valve cause a long/slow start?

And what kind of bump in mileage did you get after the new fuel pump?

Old 07-04-2013, 04:22 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Evap issues can cause a vacuum leak, witch will contribute to long crank times, but, isn't the sole cause. Low fuel pressure is a more likely culprit.

Quick Reply: Slow Start