2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-12-2015, 12:45 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

2nd Gen Rams are actually pretty safe...

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 08:23 AM
Duck Vader
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd Gen Rams are actually pretty safe...

I know I bought this thing a couple of months ago, but I was never able to get some pictures of it until this past weekend, even though I had some people request them...

Name:  SSPX0055.jpg
Views: 983
Size:  51.3 KB
Name:  SSPX0056.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  67.5 KB
Name:  SSPX0057.jpg
Views: 652
Size:  59.9 KB
Name:  SSPX0058.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  62.6 KB
Name:  SSPX0050.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  46.3 KB
Name:  SSPX0051.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  51.9 KB
Name:  SSPX0052.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  58.3 KB
Name:  SSPX0053.jpg
Views: 562
Size:  63.3 KB
Name:  SSPX0054.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  58.4 KB

The wife and I walked away from this accident with only a few bumps and bruises for the most part. Just more mentally shaken up than anything.

Hit a snow covered bend going 40mph (speed limit was 55 and others were going same speed I was), but truck decided to go straight, hit a guard rail, ramp over said guard rail, and proceed to roll downhill into a ravine.

I am not getting another truck for right now, but in the future I will be. I am just getting a Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland with the insurance money.

If the truck was not so well built, I honestly don't think we would have been so lucky.

Last edited by Duck Vader; 02-04-2010 at 08:26 AM.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:03 AM
MrRuckuss
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i say OUCH!, glad to hear that you and the wife walked away

Old 02-04-2010, 09:07 AM
StukaJU87

It looks like the truck sacrificed itself so you guys could be ok. Glad neither of you were seriously injured.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:18 AM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

holy ****! Glad you and the wife are ok! too bad about the truck, but they are replaceable

Old 02-04-2010, 09:21 AM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

damn...glad to hear everyones ok

Old 02-04-2010, 09:41 AM
xray99
Banned

Yikes, scary as hell when vehicles glide like that.
Last winter I hit a patch of black ice at about 30 mph, there was a light with vehicles stopped at it coming up in half a block.
Started applying brakes, and far from slowing down, it seemed to pick up speed.
Kept right on coasting, and there was no way I was going to stop - To my right were trees, poles, signs and houses, to my left other vehicles and oncoming traffic, I figured I'd rather hop the curb and slam into a tree than rear end a guy like that or risk a head on collision, but I wasn't even sure I had that option, since steering & brakes were basically out of the equation.

Nudged the steering, and it responded just before I would have pounded into him.
Hopped the curb, went between a tree and metal light pole which I missed by inches, went down the other curb after just missing the corner house, barely missed cars coming from the other street [I hopped the curbs diagonally at an intersection].
Was still probably going 30+, the momentum would simply not stop.
I flew up into a smallish parking lot for a dental office, and saw the end of the line in front of me, a big old reinforced fence with concrete parking blocks in front of it.
I remember feeling relieved that at least I didn't mess anyone else up, and I calculated that although the car would not survive, I almost certainly would.

With nothing left to do, while bracing for impact I punched the accelerator and sharply cranked the wheel counter clockwise, and I did about 8 wild donuts right on the spot, which was my desperate intention.
I bled the speed off in circular motion.
So that finally stopped me, and I was sitting there in a daze, wondering if all of that actually happened.
Probably didn't take more than 8 seconds ,,, But anyways, I was amazed the car was intact and drivable.
Got out and checked it, seemed none the worse for the wear, so I creeped on home.

Close to home I was switching lanes and looked in the passenger side mirror, it wasn't there.
Came so close to that tree that it shaved it clean off, but that, and a popped front body panel, were the only casualties of that wild ride and, aside from the last gasp donut, it was all out of my hands.

Glad you made it Ok, sometimes there is nothing you can do.

Last edited by xray99; 02-04-2010 at 10:00 AM.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:24 PM
dodgeram07
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

now thats a hell, of a truck truck to take a hit like that

Old 02-04-2010, 12:33 PM
halfamil
All Star

20 mph or less is my limit on icy roads. Even if it's just a patch here and there. A slick road is very unforgiving. Glad ya'll are ok.

Old 02-04-2010, 03:32 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow, that truck took a beating! I'm glad that you and your wife are both okay! Trucks are replaceable, people arent.
but truck decided to go straight, hit a guard rail, ramp over said guard rail, and proceed to roll downhill into a ravine.
Its in the Truck's DNA. It said: "If I cant Dodge it, I'll Ram it!"

You gonna part it out?

Old 02-04-2010, 04:09 PM
yakkier
Banned

Our trucks are bullet proof, i rolled my cherokee sport 4 years ago, when it was all said and done you could stick your arm through the passengerside dash and touch the ground.

I'd rather drive off a cliff than be in another rollover, that is the most painfulw freaking wreck possible, it doesnt hurt at first but your neck and back KILL you after a few days, i was back at work the next day and everytime i tried to lift one of my ladders i couldn breathe

i can honestly say that if i wrecked my truck, i would look back on it an smile saying "that ***** went out fighting"

Last edited by yakkier; 02-04-2010 at 04:16 PM.

Quick Reply: 2nd Gen Rams are actually pretty safe...