2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

I have a hunch on why I get such bad MPG

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 12:24 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001Ram
Ok, I have used Seafoam before. Guess I need to use it again. I changed out the distributer and rotor today, and used the Napa Echlin one that was reccomended. here is a pic of the old one:

Its pretty worn out. So, with that and driving easy, that should help.
Doesnt look all that worn out. The one thats in my truck now looks worse than that. But it should help anyway.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:03 PM
yakkier
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats not too bad, the only time you really need to worry about changing them is if the fins are paper thin or if they look like and old battery terminal, curroded as hell.

i wish i still had the pics of the one i pulled off my Jimmy when i first bought it, mine was missing 3 fin's and the others were paper thin and ready to burn off and the damn thing still ran.

GMC's are awesome trucks lol

Originally Posted by 2001Ram
Ok, I have used Seafoam before. Guess I need to use it again. I changed out the distributer and rotor today, and used the Napa Echlin one that was reccomended. here is a pic of the old one:

Its pretty worn out. So, with that and driving easy, that should help.

Last edited by yakkier; 02-16-2010 at 02:08 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:36 PM
2001Ram
Captain

Yeah, it wasnt bad, but I had no idea how old it was, and the rotor was kinda bad. The POS rotor was STUCK on, had to use vice grips to literally break it off.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:13 PM
jakehale

My apoligies to the OP i dont mean to hijack your thread (but it beats starting another),, but all the tire talk got me wondering. Like some of the posts here my door says 225 as the tire size, when i bought the truck it had 245's on it (even the spare). i put 265's on it. I've read on here about tire size and gearing,,,,, 265's arnt to big are they? i have nothing major in my axel except anti-slip.... so no "sup'ed" up gearing. Like the OP, my milage sucks and after reading this thread I realize i "must" be getting a little bit better milage than the "9" the overhead console is telling me based on my speed no being right (BTW what's it run moola wise to get that adjusted),, but would i be in that situation where, with the bigger tires my gearing isnt right????

thanks (and again, sorry for the hijack)

Old 02-18-2010, 10:17 PM
Gerehead8
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jakehale
My apoligies to the OP i dont mean to hijack your thread (but it beats starting another),, but all the tire talk got me wondering. Like some of the posts here my door says 225 as the tire size, when i bought the truck it had 245's on it (even the spare). i put 265's on it. I've read on here about tire size and gearing,,,,, 265's arnt to big are they? i have nothing major in my axel except anti-slip.... so no "sup'ed" up gearing. Like the OP, my milage sucks and after reading this thread I realize i "must" be getting a little bit better milage than the "9" the overhead console is telling me based on my speed no being right (BTW what's it run moola wise to get that adjusted),, but would i be in that situation where, with the bigger tires my gearing isnt right????

thanks (and again, sorry for the hijack)
265's are only like 32s max so no they are not too big. You speedo is probably barely off so the 9 you are seeing is probably close to correct.

Old 02-19-2010, 01:06 AM
KY BIGRAM
Veteran

Your truck is a heavier extended cab powered by the smaller 5.2, it will get a lesser miles per gallon. Do you carry a heavy sound system or a bunch of tools? That may factor in the mph along with the mentioned HUGE tires. I had my converter hollowed out on my 5.9 2wd and it runs much better with more throttle response and better mpg. It is a little louder but it sounds good with the stock muffler, good rumble and not too loud. I bought this truck new Aug '96, 172,xxx mi, and it runs better than ever other than the chattering valves when I hammer on it.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:16 PM
pentec

Over the past couple of days I have borrowed a GPS from a friend to find out exactly how far and fast I am going. If I use the numbers from the GPS with the 305-70/16 size tires on my extended cab 2wd 5.9L truck I am averaging 12.47 MPG. This over 5 tanks of fuel. When I get to work which is almost exactly 40 miles from home there is almost a 5 mile difference in reading from the odometer and the GPS.

Old 02-20-2010, 03:22 PM
dungholio

2000 ram 1500 4x4 reg cab short box. 285/75/16. 12.5 mpg, pod lift, superchips, i run it hard, babying it will just cause more problems in the long run. i only use stock parts in tune ups. if you use after market cap rotor and bosh/autolite anything other than stock it will not perform as it should. that engine is designed around champion. when the truck had 60k miles, it started getin gutless, kinda took a little while to start in the am. replaced the fuel pump and what a difference! these trucks are like women, so freakin high maint!

Old 02-20-2010, 03:49 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by dungholio
2000 ram 1500 4x4 reg cab short box. 285/75/16. 12.5 mpg, pod lift, superchips, i run it hard, babying it will just cause more problems in the long run. i only use stock parts in tune ups. if you use after market cap rotor and bosh/autolite anything other than stock it will not perform as it should. that engine is designed around champion. when the truck had 60k miles, it started getin gutless, kinda took a little while to start in the am. replaced the fuel pump and what a difference! these trucks are like women, so freakin high maint!

Your truck got gutless because the lower intake gasket is blown!

Old 02-20-2010, 05:44 PM
2001Ram
Captain

Originally Posted by dungholio
i run it hard, babying it will just cause more problems in the long run.

Please explain to me how this is possible.

Quick Reply: I have a hunch on why I get such bad MPG