2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fuel line quick connetor leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 09:28 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

At this point I don't know what to tell you(without actually seeing it myself). Either the orings are the wrong size, the internals of the line itself are damaged or you can try pushing the line on further before engaging the clip.

Old 02-25-2010, 02:15 PM
cmckenna
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check to make sure you've got the correct size fittings mated.

There's two sizes- 5/16 and 3/8 if I remember correctly and, in this case, it sounds like you've got a mismatch at the inlet thus causing a leak. There's only two sizes to choose from so, it's got to be one or the other.

The stainless clip on the outside of the flex line, at the fuel rail inlet is a failsafe mechanism per industry standard design. But, on the inside, there's either a plastic or metal sleeve / insert that mates onto male inlet at the fuel rail. Check to see it's not rusted bad thus not seating 100% against the O-ring.

If it's the correct size on BOTH halves, there should be no movement from side to side and, when rotating it, it will rotate smoothly but, firmly. If there's wobble, it's not mated correctly.

If there's side to side movement -either two different size fittings are being used or, the inner-sleeve is missing or, rusted through thus allowing the fuel to escape.

CM

Old 02-25-2010, 02:50 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

I'm beginning to see the picture here. If you forced the line off after removing the safety clip, then you damaged the line by not using the special tool.

Old 02-25-2010, 02:56 PM
cmckenna
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by zman17
I'm beginning to see the picture here. If you forced the line off after removing the safety clip, then you damaged the line by not using the special tool.
This too, ran through my mind when I noted the mention of an absence on the composite insert. But, for the sake of argument, there's always that "rare" case where, it's some fuel fitting design that I am not familiar with but, as far as I know, Dodge uses composite inserts. I believe that the older ones used metal types but, I believe those were phased out due to affects of corrosion.

CM

Old 02-25-2010, 03:15 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

I know at least on 97's they use a plastic fuel rail. The special tool is not required as there are two clips. One is for securing and the other the safety/fail safe. The OP never answered my questions ,so I'm just blowing wind! lol

Old 02-28-2010, 01:56 AM
jamesnb
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm currious how this was resolved. I have a 2001 and it has a stainless steel cage inside the quick connect fitting that connects to the fuel rail. I didn't see any plastic piece or o-ring inside the connector. It does have the failsafe bracket on the outside of the connector.
I disconnected the fuel line from the rail and I didn't use the plastic tool; I used a small screwdriver to disconnect it. I bent the stainless steel clips and I'm having trouble getting them back in shape. Dodge doesn't sell just that stainless piece but they will sell the entire fuel line for $80. I'm not inclined to pay that but I don't want a leak either.
Is there a simple, safe, and cheap way I can re-connect the line to the rail?

Old 02-28-2010, 12:32 PM
Robertb6963
Rookie

At this point I don't know what to tell you(without actually seeing it myself). Either the orings are the wrong size, the internals of the line itself are damaged or you can try pushing the line on further before engaging the clip.
I thought that I wasn't pushing it in far enough either but it can only go so far. And it is the o-ring that came out of it (and it wasn't leaking before).

Originally Posted by cmckenna
Check to make sure you've got the correct size fittings mated.

There's two sizes- 5/16 and 3/8 if I remember correctly and, in this case, it sounds like you've got a mismatch at the inlet thus causing a leak. There's only two sizes to choose from so, it's got to be one or the other.
The fitting that came out of this fuel rail is going back in it. I haven't changed anything; it is the fuel rail that was on the truck before the motor swap. I just swapped fuel rails over when I swapped this 1999 motor into my 97.

The stainless clip on the outside of the flex line, at the fuel rail inlet is a failsafe mechanism per industry standard design. But, on the inside, there's either a plastic or metal sleeve / insert that mates onto male inlet at the fuel rail. Check to see it's not rusted bad thus not seating 100% against the O-ring.
But we are talking about the fuel rail that has a female connection on it, not the rail that requires a special tool to remove because I have the rail that doesnt have the fuel line that needs the tool.

If it's the correct size on BOTH halves, there should be no movement from side to side and, when rotating it, it will rotate smoothly but, firmly. If there's wobble, it's not mated correctly.
OH it has ALOT of play. Like 1/4" or more in the back and forth motion. And I will def look at the sleeve! Thanks!

I know at least on 97's they use a plastic fuel rail. The special tool is not required as there are two clips. One is for securing and the other the safety/fail safe. The OP never answered my questions ,so I'm just blowing wind! lol
Sorry been really busy at work. But I think you hit the nail on the head....there are 2 clips? Everything I have found shows there is only 1 clip. And it really seems like there should be two clips!!!!

Old 02-28-2010, 03:35 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

You still have not said if it's a plastic or steel fuel rail.

Old 02-28-2010, 08:44 PM
Robertb6963
Rookie

You still have not said if it's a plastic or steel fuel rail.
Oh sorry, I believe it is steel. I need to check thought to make sure.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:20 PM
cmckenna
Record Breaker

OH it has ALOT of play. Like 1/4" or more in the back and forth motion
That's not right. Something is hosed up. You have the later style rails I take it. Sounds like these have a female connection vs. the older style which have male, protrusion style inlets which, it slides into a female fitting & sleeve.

So, you've taken a 99 and put it into a 97. I have a question. Did you change the supply line to match the 99 fuel rails or, are you still using the old supply line that went to the 97?

I am confused here. I read this:
I haven't changed anything; it is the fuel rail that was on the truck before the motor swap. I just swapped fuel rails over when I swapped this 1999 motor into my 97.
I can't figure out what is going on here. The first line reads that it's the OEM rails that came with the truck. I am ok with that until, the next sentence reads, that the fuel rails were swapped over? So, if you could clarify what you meant by that, it would make it clearer to me.

See, the reason I ask is, if you swapped rails (which it reads that way) but your still using the OEM supply line for a different year etc etc...

You see where I am leading up to? But, since it's not clear to me as to what fittings are being used here, I can't figure anything out until I have more information.

Plus, there's supposed to be two clips and not just one so, somewhere along the line, there's a mix up in hardware along with some missing information causing a misunderstanding on my behalf.

cm

Quick Reply: Fuel line quick connetor leak