2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Whats a good spark plug wireset

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 12:51 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 95RAM360
what do you mean i got nothing? at least i can drive lol
Nice burn! What ya got to say to that Purpl?

Originally Posted by xjarhead69
5.2/5.9 Misfire TSB 18-48-98
This bulletin involves rerouting the coil wire for all engines listed and rerouting the 4, 5, 7, and 8 plug wires for the 5.2/5.9L applications to minimize induction effects...
Holy service bulletin! Next time I'd ask that you just post the link rather than the whole thing in one massive post.

A year or two ago when I purchased my first set of wires for the truck, I nabbed a set of Autolite Professional wires from Advance Auto. They are only 7mm, but they seem to work pretty good, no complaints.

Last edited by jasonw; 03-13-2010 at 01:13 AM.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:25 AM
BigRedRam95
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by brokenroads37502
Not trying to stir the pot here or anything I'm asking this cause Im curious... I've looked at advance auto parts and the only thing I've seen that was bigger than a 7mm wire was the mallory wires but they only have a 90 warranty due to being considered performance wires and the ones that are replacement wires with lifetime warranty are all 7mm! The Beldens are 7mm as well they have a limited lifetime warranty and they are $32.99 plus tax. So either I'm missing something or else dude you got burned there.

Please help me understand! Cause I'm sincerely interested in knowing what set of wires you got from them!
I dont know I still have the box out in the shop I will go out and look today. My dad got them for me and he told me thay were the best they had.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:33 AM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonw
Nice burn! What ya got to say to that Purpl?

hes not old enough to know of the good comebacks, he only knows his stoop, his school, and the purpl dodge lol....

Im just messin around lol, i have no grudge purp, nor am i starting one...just in good fun

Old 03-13-2010, 10:54 AM
WaynesWorld
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used genuine Mopar wires, cap and rotor. Re-routing them did make a seat of the pants differance IMO.

Old 03-13-2010, 09:39 PM
mnewbolds
Veteran

Originally Posted by jasonw

Holy service bulletin! Next time I'd ask that you just post the link rather than the whole thing in one massive post.

A year or two ago when I purchased my first set of wires for the truck, I nabbed a set of Autolite Professional wires from Advance Auto. They are only 7mm, but they seem to work pretty good, no complaints.

I bought a set of the wires from Advance Auto. No copmlaints but I did make the mistake of not tying it up from the demise of the exhaust manifold. That was the diagram I was thinking of. Didn't think it was that big, but still VERY informative. Should be in the DIY maybe? Thanks everyone!

Old 03-14-2010, 12:18 AM
brokenroads37502
Rookie

Originally Posted by BigRedRam95
I dont know I still have the box out in the shop I will go out and look today. My dad got them for me and he told me thay were the best they had.
Well like I said I'm not stiring the pot I'm just curious about this. So please if you will let us know the Part Number and brand you were sold.

Old 03-14-2010, 10:53 AM
BigRedRam95
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well like I said I'm not stiring the pot I'm just curious about this. So please if you will let us know the Part Number and brand you were sold.
You were right they are 7mm. they were $37.29. I have a frend that works there and he told me I can get one free replacement. http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...R%7CGRPTUNEAMS____

Old 03-14-2010, 10:32 PM
brokenroads37502
Rookie

Originally Posted by BigRedRam95
You were right they are 7mm. they were $37.29. I have a frend that works there and he told me I can get one free replacement. http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...GRPTUNEAMS____

Oh ok, well Autolite is a good company but for the retail price being $5 higher than the Beldens at NAPA also the Fact that my old boss gives me a discount their I'll stick with the NAPA Beldedn Blue Maxx Wires. Still though $37.29 is not a bad price on a set of quality replacement wires. I've heard nothing but good things about Autolite Wires and Plugs So I think you got a good deal! Let the good times roll!!!

Old 03-15-2010, 10:06 AM
mnewbolds
Veteran

When I get some time I think I may need to check the same thing on my truck. I know the firing order is wired right but they maybe touching causing some interference with one another due to the EM field around them. Hmmmm had forgotten about this small detail till you mentioned it! Great Post Guys!
I know, I was racking my brains trying to figure out why this was happening. Then out of the blue while working on my old Ford, I remembered. Dopped everything I was doing and got to work on it. Runs 100% better. especially up these Michigan hills. Now I have noticed leaking Trans cooler lines by the Radiator. Does it ever end?

These are the wires I ended up with, I was told they are warrantied FOR LIFE. Even if they melt from engine heat, they will replace them for free. http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Det...+50022+2022009

Last edited by mnewbolds; 03-15-2010 at 10:10 AM.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:45 PM
brokenroads37502
Rookie

Originally Posted by mnewbolds
I know, I was racking my brains trying to figure out why this was happening. Then out of the blue while working on my old Ford, I remembered. Dopped everything I was doing and got to work on it. Runs 100% better. especially up these Michigan hills. Now I have noticed leaking Trans cooler lines by the Radiator. Does it ever end?

These are the wires I ended up with, I was told they are warrantied FOR LIFE. Even if they melt from engine heat, they will replace them for free. http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Det...+50022+2022009
Yeah you bought the Belden's They upgraded their Insulation material back around 2004 if my memory is correct. I was with them from 03-05 and it was some where in that time frame. The new insulator material was supposed to be able to withstand even more heat than the previous material! Haven't been driving my truck much lately so haven't bothered to look and see if I've got wires crossing or touching like that TSB said!
Guess I'll get to it around the same time that It finally ticks me off like the little Orange Shift Indicator finally did the other night. It never did line up properly on the dash! I thought at first that the linkage just needed adjustment but, it turned out to be the PRNDL Cable beneath the steering column that was never adjusted properly from the factory! 10 years and finally fixed it lol. For those who have this same problem with their automatic trans. equipped trucks the fix is simple.

The panel that is below your steering column is held in place at the bottom with 3 screws and at the top of the panel with a few push type body clips that will just come out if you gently yet firmly apply hand pressure to them. be careful not to brake anything. Behind that panel you'll find what looks like a white wheel that has a thin copper colored cable going to it simply turn the wheel the direction that corrects the misalignment of your shift indicator in your instrument cluster shift through all of the gears with the engine off a few times. When satisfied with the alignment of the shift indicator put the panel back in place under the steering column and presto you are done! Takes about 10 minutes give or take a few!

P.S.

If it ever ended it would be in a junk yard along with the Chebbies and Furries! hahahaha Just Kidding! Sorry, couldn't resist!

Quick Reply: Whats a good spark plug wireset