2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help with front bearing removal!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 04:26 PM
95ram5.9
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with front bearing removal!

Can someone please tell me how to get the other half of the wheel bearing off please. All 3 bolts are removed and it wont budge!

Attached Thumbnails Help with front bearing removal!-dodge.jpg  

Last edited by 95ram5.9; 03-17-2010 at 04:28 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:38 PM
sit22 II
Rookie

If you have an air chisel and extra bolts you can
put the old bolts 1/2 way back in and with the air chisel just chisel the bolts heads to push the bearing out.
or..
put the bolts 1/2 way back in and start the truck and turn the steering slowly till the bolts hit and push it out that way ( havent tried this but read it here)

Old 03-17-2010, 05:13 PM
95ram5.9
Rookie

Using an air chisel do you mean using it like a wedge between the bolt head and knuckle to drive it out?

Old 03-17-2010, 05:23 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

He means to put the air chisel on the head of the extra bolts and drive them toward the bearing.
You'll want the bolts threaded into the bearing a few threads but have them at least 1/2" from touching.
Just use plenty of penetrating fluid.

Old 03-17-2010, 05:27 PM
yakkier
Banned

i just did this a couple days ago, my thread is still alive. I used a catclaw side of a crowbar and a hammer. took a few good hit's and it poped out, also helps if you soak it down in some liquid wrench or PB blaster and let it sit for a hour or so.

Edit: nvm i dont think that'll help you.

Old 03-17-2010, 05:35 PM
95ram5.9
Rookie

Thanks for the help guys! Will try the prybar first since I have no extra bolts on hand.

One more question... Once I get the bearing off will the axle slide right out? I need to replace the u-joints as well. Thanks again for the help!!!

Old 03-17-2010, 05:39 PM
yakkier
Banned

yep, theres ALOT of pics in there, some on the first page and alot towards the end. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-tomorrow.html

Old 03-17-2010, 07:44 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 95ram5.9
One more question... Once I get the bearing off will the axle slide right out?
yes. you have 2 sticky points holding the bearing (or bearing half) in the knuckle. the inner part of the hub is splined, so it can be all rusty on the axle. you might have already split this half off. the outer part of the bearing is in the knuckle, and it can be all rusty as well.

once you get the hub out of the knuckle, the axle will sort of fall out.

before you do anything else, you want to stop and think about your delicate little axle seals that live at the pumpkin. as soon as your axle end comes loose, you want to be very GENTLE sliding those sharp, dirty, heavy axles in/out of those delicate rubber seals. f*** them up and you'll be doing it again to replace the seals.

even now, if your axle is flopping around - stop and secure it so its not f***ing up those seals.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:48 PM
95ram5.9
Rookie
Unhappy

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
yes. you have 2 sticky points holding the bearing (or bearing half) in the knuckle. the inner part of the hub is splined, so it can be all rusty on the axle. you might have already split this half off. the outer part of the bearing is in the knuckle, and it can be all rusty as well.

once you get the hub out of the knuckle, the axle will sort of fall out.

before you do anything else, you want to stop and think about your delicate little axle seals that live at the pumpkin. as soon as your axle end comes loose, you want to be very GENTLE sliding those sharp, dirty, heavy axles in/out of those delicate rubber seals. f*** them up and you'll be doing it again to replace the seals.

even now, if your axle is flopping around - stop and secure it so its not f***ing up those seals.
I did already split the bearing, I beat on the rotor with the sledge hammer for a good hour and a half before it finally came off. This $15 u-joint replacement is getting expensive real quick

Quick Reply: Help with front bearing removal!