2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

York 210 OBA Install

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 09:13 PM
EricCartman
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking York 210 OBA Install

I decided that I wanted OBA for my truck. After some research, I decided that I wanted to go with a York 210 compressor. The only problem was that there was not any readily available brackets to mount this onto my engine. After some searching, I found a website (TXWheelers) that drawings of brackets! Link: http://www.txwheelers.com/modules.ph...g2_itemId=9709.

The pictures below are from my build using the above plans. I made some minor modifications, but the ideas came from the TXWheelers page.

I made some ghetto-fabulous circle jigs for my plasma cutter… Thirty cents in miscellaneous parts seemed a whole heck of a lot cheaper than the $100 tool that Miller was selling.. I drilled and tap the steel plate so that I could attach the jig, allow it to move and not have it walk all over the place.

Name:  HPIM6781.jpg
Views: 1338
Size:  121.7 KB

Here is what it looked like once I got all of the blanks cut out. I was able to get all of this out of that one piece of steel shown above.

Name:  HPIM6784.jpg
Views: 1241
Size:  143.5 KB

I had to make another ghetto fabulous jig for drilling the adjustment slots. I didn’t trust myself to try that with the plasma cutter… but the drill and air file seemed to be a good combo.

Name:  HPIM6791.jpg
Views: 1224
Size:  154.7 KB

I had to tack weld it all together to make sure the pulleys and stuff were lined up correctly. It looks like it might be a little off in the photo, but it lines up perfectly on the back groove of the compressor.

Name:  HPIM6794.jpg
Views: 2504
Size:  156.5 KB

Here it is finished welded, and half installed into the truck:

Name:  HPIM6799.jpg
Views: 1293
Size:  105.6 KB

Now, with the York mounted up:

Name:  IMG_3205.jpg
Views: 2309
Size:  151.4 KB

Coalescing filter and check valve, mounted on passenger side fender well:

Name:  IMG_3207.jpg
Views: 1155
Size:  112.7 KB

Air manifold:

Name:  IMG_3208.jpg
Views: 1184
Size:  161.8 KB

This continues on to a 3 gallon air tank mounted on the frame rail (in front of the gas tank).

This is probably one of the better modifications I have made to my truck. It is really nice to have a shop grade air compressor bolted into my truck. The compressor can keep up with just about any air tool I would ever need to use.

[EDITED TO ADD NEW PICTURES]

Some toys to use the OBA... Horns, mounted on the outside of the driver side frame rail:

Name:  pano.jpg
Views: 1105
Size:  47.0 KB

And here is a shot of the air tank. It is mounted on the inside of the driver side frame rail:

Name:  HPIM6811.jpg
Views: 1218
Size:  76.3 KB

Cartman

Last edited by EricCartman; 05-03-2010 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Added air horn & tank pictures
Old 03-21-2010, 09:29 PM
BIGRED97
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

now its time for a train horn!

thats a really sweet mod, i like it alot! great writeup

have you noticed any loss of power or anything of that nature with it on?

Old 03-21-2010, 10:11 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

So were gonna fab one up for mine next weekend right? Haha, very nice job!

Old 03-21-2010, 10:42 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Great job!!! This is much a much better idea than buying a shop compressor for my garage!

Old 03-21-2010, 10:54 PM
iwhitne
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hiw much to make me the same set-up?... NO JOKE I want one!

Old 03-21-2010, 11:13 PM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nice work man!!! hows your truck idle while using it?

Old 03-22-2010, 12:14 PM
EricCartman
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the comments.

I've got some train horns... just didn't get around to taking pictures of them yet. I went with the Shocker XL from HornBlasters. I'm pretty happy with them. They are plenty loud. They seem to have a deeper tone than a typical train horn - which is fine by me. They definitely get people's attention. Even people that knew it was coming, jumped when I honked them.

I haven't noticed any problems at idle. I'm sure it adds some drag, but not enough that I notice it. It starts/idles fine, even if I have AC/Defrost and the air compressor on at the same time. I have not really noticed a loss of power while driving either.

At idle, it will charge the system from 0psi to 150psi in about 40 seconds (at idle). If I'm driving down the road at about 2000 RPMs, it will fill in about 25 seconds.

The next thing I am planning on doing is adding a hand throttle so I can raise the RPM of the engine if I'm not in the truck. I've seen a couple of write-ups on doing this... just need to carve out some time to do it.

It's definitely worth doing if you ever need air. It was relatively cheap to do. I was able to do it for just a little more than it would have cost to get a decent Viair compressor and the rest of goods to go along with it. It could be done even cheaper if you wanted to eliminate the coalescing filter, but I didn't want to deal with having oil in my air lines that could find it's way into my tires.

The major components:

York 210 from junkyard: $25
1/4" plate steel: $13
Alternator Pulley (Kilby Enterprise): $65
1/2" NTP adapters for compressor (Kilby): $45
Coalescing Filter: $45 <-- same one Kilby sells for $115
V-belt: $10
Check Valve: $18

Then you have to add the cost of whatever hose, fittings, manifolds, etc you want to use (but you would have to buy these anyways if you were going to use an electric compressor too).

This can be done without hose adapters for the compressor, but it makes it easier to hook up hose in the end- so I decided to purchase them.

My motivation was that I plan on towing some things this summer, and I wanted to add some helper air bags. The trains horns are for entertainment. Now I just need to find an impact gun to keep in my toolbox. Maybe an air over hydraulic jack too.

Thanks,
Cartman

Old 05-02-2010, 12:23 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,395 Likes on 3,135 Posts

Dont suppose we could talk you into marketing the brackets could we?

This is an extremely worthwhile mod, excellent job.

Old 05-02-2010, 12:37 PM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ya I believe a lot of work went into this mod... I remember this thread when he did it.... props to ya Cartman!

Old 05-02-2010, 12:38 PM
lord0fsal3m
Captain

that thing is awesome, i have no need for air, but thats just cool to look at lol. great work

Quick Reply: York 210 OBA Install