2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Freeze plugs...please clarify

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 07:37 PM
lblair04
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[quote=J415;2072267]Yeah, we do. I have a 5.2 block. So I guess we just figured out that the 5.2 block takes two 1 5/8 plugs and the 5.9 block takes one 1 5/8 plug and one 1 1/4 plug. Sounds good. This should be in the FAQ page.

So, everyone is in agreeance that I need one 1 5/8 and one 1 1/4 freeze plug, since I have the 5.9? Dealer**** didnt know what the hell I was talking about...hell, they even brought up a pic and asked if the rear main seal was what I needed...

Thanks

Old 04-01-2010, 08:24 AM
dkishton1486
Professional

Yes you need a 1 5/8 and an 1 1/4 for the ones on the back of the block if you have the 5.9

Old 04-01-2010, 10:09 PM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So, everyone is in agreeance that I need one 1 5/8 and one 1 1/4 freeze plug, since I have the 5.9? Dealer**** didnt know what the hell I was talking about...hell, they even brought up a pic and asked if the rear main seal was what I needed...

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Some auto parts stores call them freeze plugs and other call them expansion plugs. I would get 2-1 5/8 plugs and 2-1 1/4 plugs just in case you mess up. I messed up when I did mine. It didn't go in straight. So I took it out and put a new one in. I didn't wanna take any chances.

Old 04-02-2010, 12:27 AM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lblair04
Im pretty sure its the rear ones. Im putting it up on a lift on Friday to check it out more and fix whatever it is. Its dripping off of the bell housing. Also going to check the rear of my intake manifold, since I just did my plenum and noticed it after that. I smelled antifreze before the plenum tho, so thats why I assume its a freeze plug.

Either way, I will definately check it out real well before I pull the tranny for it to turn out to be an accessible one.
I feel your pain, I also have a freeze plug on the back of the block that's leaking, I've been way too busy to mess with it so I just dumped a tube of stop leak in it for now, it's actually working great so far.

Old 04-02-2010, 12:48 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Hahns5.2
I just dumped a tube of stop leak in it for now, it's actually working great so far.
++++10 why pull a trans unless there's just no other option.

Old 04-02-2010, 01:35 AM
lblair04
Veteran

I thought that stop leak was a no-no? I would much rather pull the tranny for a bad torque converter or a rebuild!! Whats the chance that if I keep driving around with a leaking freeze plug that they will completely pop out or corrode completely out?

THanks guys

Old 04-02-2010, 09:43 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by lblair04
I thought that stop leak was a no-no? I would much rather pull the tranny for a bad torque converter or a rebuild!! Whats the chance that if I keep driving around with a leaking freeze plug that they will completely pop out or corrode completely out?

THanks guys
there's a lot of undue concern over stop leak products. everyone assumes thats its like glue and will immediately stop up the radiator, heater core, thermostat, radiator hose, radiator cap, and block. first off, if it did, then nobody would continue to sell the products, because they'd be no satisfied customers and everybody would be suing them. the way all coolant stop leaks work is that they go into solution and swirl around inside the cooling system. while in solution, they do nothing. when they ooze out of a leak, and are subject to heat, air, etc, they solidify and guess what - seal up minor leaks. this is true of simple products like black pepper and egg as well as the modern high tech products using names like copper, aluminum, and/or glass.

there are no guarantees. the only guarantee is that it might work and it might save you a lot of trouble. if it doesn't work, then the corrosion will continue and it will continue to get worse. while it could advance from a minor leak to a major leak, its likely to occur gradually. it will never pop out. its a band-aid that might buy you a year or two or five. hopefully to some day in the future when you remove the engine or transmission for a major repair.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:55 AM
gobbell1
Professional

I've used stop-leak on domestic engines for years and never had any adverse effects.

However, some years ago, I had a Porsche with an oil cooler (oil is channeled in the middle of a mini radiator mounted to the block) that I used stop-leak on. When I rebuilt the engine, I noticed that 50% of the coolant passages in the oil cooler were completely clogged with stop-leak.

Moral of the lesson...if you have large coolant passages, stop-leak should not be a problem. Smaller coolant passage is a no-no!

BTW...if you use stop-leak it will tend to gather at the lower points of the circulation system which on the 5.9 is around the rear driver side freeze plug. I know this because when I replaced my freeze plugs on my 5.9, the area around the driver side plug was completed caked in stop-leak!!!!

2nd BTW...if you have to replace your rear block freeze plugs, you will have to remove the tranny, not just slide it back a few inches. It would be a good time to rebuild it while you have it out. And go ahead and replace the drive-shaft u-joint(s).

Old 04-02-2010, 11:54 PM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will say I was apprehensive at first about using stop leak but it was really my only choice, so far so good!

Old 04-03-2010, 12:01 AM
yakkier
Banned

eh stop leak isnt so bad as long as it's not used more than a couple times to stop the leaks. Eventually it will start backing up the heatercore

Quick Reply: Freeze plugs...please clarify