2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

46re brand new, wont shift into the next gear

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 08:53 PM
foxracing584
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 46re brand new, wont shift into the next gear

i just bought a rebuilt transmission which i was told to be bullet proof... kevlar bands, red line clutches, blah blah... when 200 miles or so down the road it stops shifting...
it will go into reverse and first gear and neutral, but it wont shift from 1st to 2nd to 3rd or forth.....

anyone have any ideas? its got to be something simple.

transmission gods please help

Old 04-05-2010, 08:58 PM
CSXfan
All Star

Throttle valve cable not adjusted right.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:13 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

have you brought this to the attention of the builder yet? I assume you have a warranty on this transmission? The first thing id to is unhook the cable and see if it shifts, if it does then you need to adjust the cable properly.

Check the cable then get back with us.

Old 04-06-2010, 04:04 AM
foxracing584
Amateur

okay, i'll check the cable in the morning.... thanks guys, i'll let yal kno asap when mess around with it if it fixs it or not

Old 04-06-2010, 06:24 PM
foxracing584
Amateur

Originally Posted by MonteC
have you brought this to the attention of the builder yet? I assume you have a warranty on this transmission? The first thing id to is unhook the cable and see if it shifts, if it does then you need to adjust the cable properly.

Check the cable then get back with us.
okay, so.. i spent the majority of the day at the parts store.....

checked the cable, there was a little slack in it.... unhooked the cable and it still does not shift... hooked it back up and adjusted it with little to no slack and still does not shift....

replaced both speed sensor in the rear end and the tail shaft of transmission..... still not shift..

took it down the road to a shop... they put a snap on scanner that looked like a dam computer on it and found no codes...

so now im official stumped on this.... i have no clue.... brand new trans with no shift.... in first i can do i freakin donut with my truck if i wanted to.. goes in reverse no problem....

any suggestions?

Old 04-06-2010, 06:28 PM
foxracing584
Amateur

MonteC, this place i bought the transmission from is two and a half hours away.... they said it has to be something little and if i wanted to let them look at it i would have to trailer it up there. figured if its "that simple", i could figure it out myself somehow

Old 04-06-2010, 09:06 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by foxracing584
MonteC, this place i bought the transmission from is two and a half hours away.... they said it has to be something little and if i wanted to let them look at it i would have to trailer it up there. figured if its "that simple", i could figure it out myself somehow

Sorry man. Sounds like they messed something up on the rebuild. Seems pretty shady. Its one thing to diagnose something that is going bad on its own but its a completely different ballgame to try and diagnose something someone built into the unit, especially over the internet.

Old 04-07-2010, 04:12 AM
foxracing584
Amateur

Sorry man. Sounds like they messed something up on the rebuild. Seems pretty shady. Its one thing to diagnose something that is going bad on its own but its a completely different ballgame to try and diagnose something someone built into the unit, especially over the internet.
so your sayin that, there a possiblity that something inside mechanically is wrong, or something electronically? it couldnt a bad or faulty solenod or some sort... what else that consists of the transmission has to do with the shifting...... the guy showed to a diagram of the eletrical wiring of the transmission and i was like ""holy sh*t""... but for it to start acting the way it is now from acting completly normal is a little odd.

or maybe i was geting my hopes up that you could give me a quick fix .

Old 04-07-2010, 07:36 AM
MonteC
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by foxracing584
so your sayin that, there a possiblity that something inside mechanically is wrong, or something electronically? it couldnt a bad or faulty solenod or some sort... what else that consists of the transmission has to do with the shifting...... the guy showed to a diagram of the eletrical wiring of the transmission and i was like ""holy sh*t""... but for it to start acting the way it is now from acting completly normal is a little odd.

or maybe i was geting my hopes up that you could give me a quick fix .
Everyone wants a quick fix. lol. But not everyone gets one.

If youve checked the cable, replaced the external sensors, checked all of your transmission electrical connections to make sure they are plugged in, everything external, then its inside the transmission.

The transmission is not in limp mode. If you had a shorted wire a check engine light would come on or you would have other electrical indicators. You can check all of your fuses, but normally a blown transmission fuse would put the trans in limp mode. There is a possibility the governor pressure sensor is not working properly. But if you drop the pan and start changing things around, is the builder still going to warranty the trans?

Old 04-07-2010, 04:58 PM
foxracing584
Amateur

Everyone wants a quick fix. lol. But not everyone gets one.

If youve checked the cable, replaced the external sensors, checked all of your transmission electrical connections to make sure they are plugged in, everything external, then its inside the transmission.

The transmission is not in limp mode. If you had a shorted wire a check engine light would come on or you would have other electrical indicators. You can check all of your fuses, but normally a blown transmission fuse would put the trans in limp mode. There is a possibility the governor pressure sensor is not working properly. But if you drop the pan and start changing things around, is the builder still going to warranty the trans?
well he was never that clear about the warrenty in the first place... but lets just say the next thing to check is the govenor pressure sensor... is that a sensor that would need to be tottally replace or is there a possibly that the sensor could be cleaned/cleaned out.

Quick Reply: 46re brand new, wont shift into the next gear