2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

MonteC's Transmission Corner (For Info Only)

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 01:58 AM
sprntpshr
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In a couple of posts the term "TPS" has been used when talking about transmission shifting issues. I don't want to assume what this acronym means so, does TPS mean Throttle Position Sensor or is it something else?

Having the trans in my 99 1500 5.9 truck not shifting 1 - 2 unless I play with the throttle. Only happens when the truck is hot ie running more than 1/2 hour. It happened once out on the track when I was pushing a sprinter off. Had the "Oh xxxx" feeling. Removing the cooler line check valve later today anyway.

Don't push snow just sprint cars with this truck, Thanks, sprntpushr

Old 05-25-2010, 03:44 AM
ladodgerfan

thanks for the reply I bine really debating this for the past 2 years now if i need a rebuilt or is it just somthing simple to fix ..thanks for your expert advice

Old 05-25-2010, 03:04 PM
Kaldir
Veteran

Hey MonteC, I just had a quick question, and sorry if you have answered it before. I did a search of the thread and couldn't find anything. I have a 2001 dodge ram, and its an automatic transmission. I had my transmission rebuilt a few months ago, and every thing has been find except one minor thing. When just starting the truck and putting in to reverse or drive I give it some gas, and it seems like the clutch is half way in. I can leave it be and it "grabs" or just throw in to park, then back in to drive and its fine. Any insight?

Thanks!

Edit: This only happens when I first start the truck after its been sitting for a 4-5 hours +.

Old 05-25-2010, 03:40 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

Been doing a bit of research on rebuilding my trans, (Thank You VERY much to J415.) and came up with a question...

The truck: 96 Ram 2500 4X4 w/46RE trans.

The question:

22582E Planet, A727/A518/A618 Forward
22584C Planet, A727/A518/A618 Rear(6 Gear)

Considering that my truck is generally just a daily driver, occasionally used for towing a car trailer, and off roading as often as I can.... are these two parts a 'good idea' for me? My engine is stock, and I don't have any real plans to beef it up much. No internal engine mods are in my future. (though a new set of heads might become a requirement at some point....) For my intended use do I need these? or will the stock parts be adequate to the task?

Old 05-26-2010, 08:44 AM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

THANK YOU MONTEC!!!!!!!

my problem was the hesitation to 3rd gear (i took on water remember) Well i talked to my old boss, and he has a RAM as well, we swapped out TPS' with each others, and with his TPS my tranny shifts perfect....so my TPS is the culprit now, ive got about 70 miles on the flush, and i still dont see any signs of water contamination.

So all i got to do is get a new TPS....thank god.

even with my TPS, the hesitation is starting to go away, it shifts to 3rd gear at 2200 rpms, when going easy, usually its like 1800-2000 rpms....but only the best for my truck, so new parts it is....

im going to do another flush just to be safe, should i put in a trans-go shift kit, or the sure cure? if any at all? whats the benifits?

ive overheated my tranny, taken on water, and basically beat on it when off-roading, and it was shifting perfect still (with the TPS from my boss' truck)....i guess this guy really did beef it up, and not just do a normal rebuild....PO showed me recipt of rebuild (2400 and change), and he said he had it built for towing....maybe this is why shes still ok.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:48 AM
longram94

I was hoping you might be able to guide me in the right direction.

I have a 1994 dodge ram 4x4 1500 with the 360 cid motor.

Truck as 253,000 miles I dont know wether the motor and trans are stock or not. The motor runs good with plenty of power and the trans fluid is in great shape and does not runn about 210 at any given point ( i have a temp gauge in the outlet of the trans line)

The problem i am having is going from 3rd to OD it is a delayed shift goes up to about 3k before shifting. all the other gears are fine. and if you let off the throttle it will shift to OD as soon as you do that.

any ideas?

Old 05-26-2010, 10:51 AM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

not to answer for MonteC, but the overdrive units do have a tendency to give out...have you replaced the Govenor pressure selenoid?

Old 05-26-2010, 12:35 PM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 95RAM360
not to answer for MonteC, but the overdrive units do have a tendency to give out...have you replaced the Govenor pressure selenoid?
I think we should leave it to Monte unless we have a definitive answer. The last thing I would want, if I was Longram94, is to get some maybe/maybe not answers.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:37 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by J415
Hey Monte, I just installed the tranny I rebuilt and I had a question. I took it out for a test drive to see just how it shifts...it's smooth as silk. No bind up in reverse and no jerking in drive whatsoever. I don't know if it's because of the sure cure kit I installed or what, but it just feels way better then I'm use to. Does this sound about right. I'm just hesitant because this is my first tranny I rebuilt and there's always that little bit of doubt in the back of my mind that says "You f*cked something up, you just don't know it yet". I'm gonna adjust the TV cable to see if I can tune it right. Are there any things in general that I should look out for? I had the battery disconnected for over a weak. Would it have to do with my computer reprogramming? BTW, I ended up buying that Precision of NH converter that you recommended. I went with a stock low stall converter and it feels great. Way better then the OEM one I had on before. Again, thanks in advance.

Edit:
I noticed today that manual 2 on my shifting lever doesn't "catch". I can shift it in park, reverse, neutral, drive, and manual/low 1 but manual/low 2 doesn't catch. It will limbo from drive to manual/low 1.
Drive it like you stole it. But so far it sounds like you did a good job with it. The sure cure will be night and day.

As far as the shifter i would check the cable first. It could be the linkage on the valvebody, worst case.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:38 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lblair04
Monte,

Can I use the gm solenoid conversion from DNJ Components on my truck? I have 94,500 miles, and as far as I know the tranny has not been rebuilt, but shifted great before the governor pressure solenoid went out. If you wouldnt recommend it, I looked at the tranny parts website you gave me (something like wittparts.com) and it listed 4 governor pressure solenoids...which one do I get? I already bought the transducer from Dodge.

Thanks for all of your help.

As long as the pan is clean and the fluid looks good, go for it!

Quick Reply: MonteC's Transmission Corner (For Info Only)