2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Headliner Fabric Larger than 54"???

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 09:06 AM
redheadhunter21
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do and cant stand it, its only coming down across the front the just cut it and didnt wrap it, will be taking care of that though this summer

Old 04-19-2010, 05:36 PM
junkyardjeff
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the foam is not completely rotted its hard to get it off the board,the boards are not that tough and you cant take a wire brush on a drill to get the foam off and has to be done by hand which takes some time. I miss the boards from the late 70s to late 80s on the GM and Ford products as they were the easiest to get the old material off of,the newer ones suck in my opinion.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:37 AM
gobbell1
Professional

I just recovered my headliner. Here are a few tips/tricks I learned along the way.

1. My truck is a Club Cab, thus I need 2 yds of 60" wide material (54" would not reach)
2. Get 2 spray cans of adhesive. My first can ran out with 20% left to go. Fortunately I had a 2nd can.
3. When removing the headliner from the cab, lay both seats as horizontal as possible and the steering wheel in the up position. Remove headliner from passenger side.
4. I was able to get most of the foam off with a wire drill attachment without damaging the board. After using the drill, take a wire brush and remove the rest of the foam.
5. When spraying the adhesive, DO NOT let any get on the fabric side of the headliner. This is easy to forget when you are on the bottom side spraying the edges and look up and say "oh crap" (ask me how I know)
6. Take your time and go slowly.

$40 later and I have a new headliner!

Old 06-01-2010, 01:28 PM
truegent81
Captain

what material did you go with and what store had the 60" cloth?

so after doing this do you recommend removing the foam or leaving it?

Old 06-01-2010, 02:19 PM
gobbell1
Professional

Normal fabric stores (i.e Hancock) did not have 60" material. I had to get the stuff from a local auto trim shop. 2 yards of the material cost about $25 and the spray adhesive was about $13.

You MUST REMOVE the foam, there is no way around it. The new headliner comes with its own foam. Failure to remove the old foam will result in adhesive failure. No doubt about it, removing the foam is the PIA! However, it is a must.

Old 06-01-2010, 02:26 PM
truegent81
Captain

did you take pics of this project? if you did, can you post them?

btw, thanks for the info.

Old 06-01-2010, 05:22 PM
gobbell1
Professional

I did take 1 pic of the foam removal.

1. After you have removed the entire headliner from the truck, place it on a large flat surface (for those of you that are married, DO NOT do this inside the house!!!)
2. Pull the fabric off the headliner
3. At this point you will still have alot of foam attached to the headliner board (see pic). to remove this, you can use a wire brush on a drill, just be careful and do not gouge.
4. The drill will remove a large portion of the foam, but you will still need to use a hand wire brush to remove it completely.
5. Once all the foam is gone, you can lay your new headliner on the board (foam side to the board) and check for proper sizing.
6. Fold half of the fabric back and spray adhesive on both the foam and the board. Wait 5 minutes and press the fabric onto the board starting from the center. Once complete, do the other side. Don't do the whole headliner at once, it is too much material to move around.
6. After you have completely glued the new headliner down, then go back and cut out all the holes for lights, sun visors etc... Leave 1" of overhang on the material and fold it around/under all the edges (use adhesive of course). This folding procedure will prevent the headliner from "letting go" from the edges ever again.

Here is a link to a great "how to" video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MmT72NDtTs

Enjoy.

Attached Thumbnails Headliner Fabric Larger than 54"???-headliner.jpg  

Last edited by gobbell1; 06-01-2010 at 05:26 PM. Reason: link
Old 06-01-2010, 08:13 PM
mr freeze
Veteran

Yup,gotta take the foam off.I did it a couple years ago and its a pain to get it off but it makes better bonding surface.Mine turned out very nice considering I've never done anything like it before.Then again,that goes for alot of things with my truck.

Old 07-04-2010, 11:58 AM
1997DodgeRam
Professional

Doing my headliner this weekend and stuck at removal of the handle over the passenger door, anyone know how this comes down? 1997 regular cab

Old 07-04-2010, 12:03 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

Originally Posted by 1997DodgeRam
Doing my headliner this weekend and stuck at removal of the handle over the passenger door, anyone know how this comes down? 1997 regular cab
There are either 'plugs' on the ends, that cover screws, or, the entire end trim piece comes up, to expose the screws. According to theory, you should be able to pry them up with a small, flat-blade screwdriver.

Quick Reply: Headliner Fabric Larger than 54"???