2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission Shifting Late/Not Shifting Up

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 02:19 PM
cosmorphis
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Shifting Late/Not Shifting Up

Hey guys,

Want to say thanks for all the previous help. I had posted this in the 1st Gen Ram forum, but I have a 2001, 5.2 L (oops).

Well, my transmission is shifting late. Today, after taking off from a red light, with steady acceleration, I got up to 50 mph, and the rpm were at 3,700. I had to drop it in to neutral and then back into drive to get it to shift up. On my way home, the truck was not shifting up at lower rpm. When I was taking off from a red light, I got up to 30 mph, and it still hadn't shifted up. I left off the gas and coasted, and it shifted, but the next time I took off from a red light, it didn't. Luckily I wasn't going too far.

I had the transmission rebuilt about 5 years ago, and last summer I changed the transmission fluid and the filter (dropped the pan). I cleaned the magnet off really good too. I was looking on Orielly's website, and seen some different parts I could change, but I hate guessing and part swapping, with no idea about what I am doing. My Chilton's book was of no help.

Any thoughts on what it could be? It's not every time when I accelerate, but it's becoming more of a common occurrence.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:00 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

repost your question in Monte's transmission thread which is sticky'ed at the top.
he'll likely tell you the crappy dodge governor pressure sensor and solenoid needs to be replaced with the gm conversion kit, which looks like a nice simple diy.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:12 PM
cosmorphis
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will do. Thanks.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:56 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Is the ck engine lite on? Could be the throttle cable adjustment for the late shifting and for your down shifting, maybe governor solenoid. When did the problem start?

Quick Reply: Transmission Shifting Late/Not Shifting Up