2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Bodywork for beginner???

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 10:18 PM
codyselcamino
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the bed side was hit pretty good, you can fix it but its alot of work, the rust holes like said before cut it out and weld a new piece in, the surface rust you can sand it off, i wouldnt recommend using fiberglass on the rust holes, your just putting a bad aid on a hemmorage, i use a lincoln 135, just a little 110 volt mig welder, very easy to use and set up, i think i got mine from lowes for $140 and a bottle of argon/carbon dioxide mix for $40 more, if you do fix that bedside try and find a slide hammer, you prolly wont budge it by just prying unless your hercules, you will need a sanding block too to get you filler sanded down, if your still thinking about fixing it i can give you a list of materials you will need to fix it right

Old 04-19-2010, 11:18 PM
dodgeram07
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you want cheap on the holes?

aluminium tape............it works great

Old 04-19-2010, 11:29 PM
JediSky671
Rookie

Originally Posted by codyselcamino
the bed side was hit pretty good, you can fix it but its alot of work, the rust holes like said before cut it out and weld a new piece in, the surface rust you can sand it off, i wouldnt recommend using fiberglass on the rust holes, your just putting a bad aid on a hemmorage, i use a lincoln 135, just a little 110 volt mig welder, very easy to use and set up, i think i got mine from lowes for $140 and a bottle of argon/carbon dioxide mix for $40 more, if you do fix that bedside try and find a slide hammer, you prolly wont budge it by just prying unless your hercules, you will need a sanding block too to get you filler sanded down, if your still thinking about fixing it i can give you a list of materials you will need to fix it right
Thanks guys and Cody a list of what I need would be great.I have never tried welding before but I know some people who have experience so I could have them tack weld the rust holes with sheet metal.What mm should I use to cover the holes with?

Old 04-20-2010, 12:05 AM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What about using 2 car batteries and jumper cables to stick weld? When I was in iraq, that is how they weld.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:42 AM
dodgeboy1979
All Star

I think 16 ga. sheet metal would be what you're after.

Old 04-21-2010, 07:54 PM
codyselcamino
Professional

alright well this is what i would do
for the rocker
cut out the holes and weld new metal in
get either some duraglass filler or bondo to "rough it in" i would recommend duraglass its basically fiberglass and bondo mixed
then find a light weight filler like iceing or any finnishing glaze that will fill in any in perfections in the previous coat
you will sand alot of filler and the longer sanding block the better it will look, dont get in any hurry or you will never get it to look right, and dont push hard or you will dig in and cause a dent just let the sand paper do its job, for the duraglass id go 36 grit then finnish with 80 grit and on the top coat go with 80 grit then finnish with 180, the smoother you get it the easyer it is to find high/low spots
now for the bed
i would reccomend replacing it but if thats out of the budget find a slide hammer and go to town, its pretty bent and you wont get it to look right but you can atleast get it out to put in a tail light, if that bracket for the light is bent you wont get it to fit right no matter what you do because that metal is streched
so materials
duraglass or bondo
icing or final glaze
36, 80, and 180 sandpaper
a good sanding block, hard not soft
14 or 16 guage metal
a good primer (dont get that cheap spray can primer get a good SEM or 3M high build primer, it is in a spray can and isnt cheap but it will last)
and mostly patience, lots of that haha

Quick Reply: Bodywork for beginner???