2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

ABS & Brake Light Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010 | 04:33 PM
W8 a minute
Amateur

What happens if you just unplug this sensor and leave it unplugged?

Just curious because I have the same problem (with the dash lights) but I also feel my brakes "pulsing" lightly when I come to a stop. I don't feel anything in the break pedal but the truck definitely pulses when coming to a slow stop. Just wondering if I could disconnect it for a test run and see of the problem goes away?

Old 05-02-2010 | 04:40 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

not sure on the dodge systems.... but, on the GM 4WAL, i disconnected the power from the motor/controller, and no more light. All it means is that you don't have ABS any more. No biggie as far as I am concerned.

For the pedal pulsating, need to have a look at your brakes for that, generally a sign of warped drums or rotors. (or, as in my case, worn out rear shoes)

Old 05-02-2010 | 10:37 PM
Signal 2
Amateur

I don't know. ABS is damn nice to have, especialy on a pickup in the rare panic stop. Doubly so if your in poor traction conditions. I'd spend the money to fix it.

Old 05-03-2010 | 07:44 PM
bigtman07
Captain

Well I already did the unplug idea a while ago and its a no go. No power = Instant abs light. no sensor = instant abs and brake light. But did happen to find a new piece of info. Not what you all want to hear but is possible. Ok on the trucks that have 4 wheel abs there is the front sensor that is attached to the bearing. Ok so here is the idea. If the bearing is going bad or the sensor is bad you have to change the bearing. Bad news. the bearing for ABS enabled trucks is $250. No joke. I was just at oreilys and that is the quote i got. And that is for only one sensor. So lets hope to god that isn't it. But the only way I know to check for sure is to go to the dealer and pay out the nose for them to hook it up to the computer. Just a tad more info for you guys. if you find anything else in the mean time let us all know. This is seeming to be a more common issue I'm seeing. But thats just my .02.

Old 05-03-2010 | 08:41 PM
VEETEN
Captain

Originally Posted by bigtman07
Well I already did the unplug idea a while ago and its a no go. No power = Instant abs light. no sensor = instant abs and brake light. But did happen to find a new piece of info. Not what you all want to hear but is possible. Ok on the trucks that have 4 wheel abs there is the front sensor that is attached to the bearing. Ok so here is the idea. If the bearing is going bad or the sensor is bad you have to change the bearing. Bad news. the bearing for ABS enabled trucks is $250. No joke. I was just at oreilys and that is the quote i got. And that is for only one sensor. So lets hope to god that isn't it. But the only way I know to check for sure is to go to the dealer and pay out the nose for them to hook it up to the computer. Just a tad more info for you guys. if you find anything else in the mean time let us all know. This is seeming to be a more common issue I'm seeing. But thats just my .02.
You can get the sensor only, it was about $80 at dealer.
I had to replace mine, my rotor cut through mine after doing ball joints.
You can do a resistance check on them too. When good they are 900-1000 ohms depending on the position of the tone ring.
The plugs are located in the engine bay on top of the wheel wells.

Old 05-03-2010 | 09:40 PM
Signal 2
Amateur

Originally Posted by bigtman07
...... But the only way I know to check for sure is to go to the dealer and pay out the nose for them to hook it up to the computer........
I think some modern collision shops carry a reader as well. A possible option. If you're a past customer and it's understood you will handle repairs and just want it diagnosed they might check and give you the results cheaper than a dealer.

Old 05-09-2010 | 07:40 PM
bigdog2005

I have a 2005 2500 and my brake and abs light came on when we got a lot of snow this year, I was driving I was not under braking or spinning the rear end. I have cleaned all of the sensors and even replaced the rear sensor and the lights are still on. Reading a lot of previous post on this and I have tried everything, trying to reset the PC but nothing has changed. Please help this thing has ruined my weekend trying to trouble shoot this. ANy help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-09-2010 | 07:46 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Need to be able to read the codes, and see what it is whining about. Just replacing parts in hopes of finding the problem gets expensive in a hurry. (not to mention frustrating)

Most of the big "chain" auto parts stores will read codes for free.

Old 05-10-2010 | 11:01 AM
bigtman07
Captain

Bad part of that though is that the code readers that are at the parts stores are for obd2 engine codes. Not ABS codes. If I was told right there is a special reader for the ABS system. I have a code reader and my ABS codes don't show up.

Old 05-10-2010 | 11:36 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Gonna have to take it to a shop that has a better scanner then....... Shooting in the dark, without knowing what you are trying to fix, gets expensive. Probably more than what you would pay to have the codes read.

Quick Reply: ABS & Brake Light Help