2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Seafoam Treatment!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 04:55 PM
yakkier
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's simple dude, the Brake booster is an open hose, the PCV is a valve which sucks it up into the system, the brake booster hose is larger and doesnt get it as deep into the system as the PCV does. IE it's like using a water hose vs using a spray bottle.

PCV speads it a little more evenly inside the intake and the brake booster doesnt create as much vaper as the PCV does.

Use whatever you want im just saying i use the PCV and not the brake booster and have seen better results because of it, i have no charts or breakdowns to prove it does a better job but seafoam even states on their website that the more smoke/fog you see the more carbon that is being removed/flushed from the system. i have done this on my truck my wifes truck and a **** load of other cars/trucks iv owned in the past and i have always seen a difference in between using the PCV over the booster.

And judging by the posts from other members and their experiences im not the only one.

Originally Posted by Laramie1997
Yak, prove to me how fogging the intake via the brake booster does nothing? It all goes to the same place and IE, it fogs. Fog means light mist in which case there would be no puddling. Just show me how and why you think this to be so.

To the OP, you can pull the PCV valve and do it there or just take the air hat off and pour small amounts of it down the TB blades manually operating the throttle there to keep her running. Personally, I don't buy into the idea of putting it in your oil. Just fog the intake and put the rest in your gas if you want but even that's not required.

Last edited by yakkier; 04-25-2010 at 05:31 PM.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:56 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, that's all fine and well, but it's not going to pool in the intake like you think. It will still fog just fine. These trucks already move a lot of air at idle and if you rev up to about 2K then even pouring it into the intake will fog it out like you want.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:58 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I preferred the Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner myself.

Since I went strictly to chevron gas about 2 years ago, I don't get much smoke with any cleaning products anymore.

Old 04-25-2010, 10:47 PM
bekins01ram
Veteran

I'm not sure if this is proof, but it changed my mind.
Two weeks ago I seafoamed my truck with the brake booster line.
When I took off driving, I got 1 large puff of smoke, then it slowly diminished

Yesterday, after reading this thread, I used the PCV valve hose. You wouldn't think it'd smoke much, since it was only two weeks ago I did it with the booster hose. Well this time, I got large smoke clouds thru 8-10 revs of the motor, and it diminished much slower than it did last time.

So, in my eyes, I think the pcv hose is the way to go. Makes sense that it would disperse it more evenly thru a smaller hose.

I posted this in another thread, too, but you wouldn't think it'd smoke this much, if the carbon had been cleaned out the first time.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:10 AM
Nando Vazquez
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used the PCV valve instead of the booster. I got a **** load of smoke, I guess those almost 200,000 miles did some work on that engine. I got incredible results, better throttle response, acceleration, and I havent checked the MPG yet. She idles alot smoother and is running great.

Old 04-27-2010, 01:11 AM
Gerehead8
Record Breaker

When using SeaFoam you will not notice results the first round. I did 1/3 of a can in three seperate applications before I noticed an improvement. FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS ON THE CAN TO THE LETTER. The results are much better.

The arguement between the pcv and breather hose is just dumb. The fluid flows to the same spot, under the same vacuum ect. You are supposed to pour it through the TB anyway, the hoses just make it easier.

I really doubt the cleaning the intake is where the improvements are made. I am going to guess that none of you have seen the back of an intake valve after the plenum has been blown for awhile. When I tore down my 360 (out of a 2500 with 100k and had a blown plenum) I could not believe the amount of carbon on the back of the valve. There was easily an 1/8 of build up to maybe 1/4 in the middle. I had to scrape it off with a puddy knife and a razor blade before I could clean the valves. With that much carbon flow is significantly reduced. I would bet that the sea foam (throughly vaporized by now no matter how it got in the intake) starts to dissolve the carbon and by the third application it is breaking up and flowing into the cylinder and out the exhaust causing the mass amounts of fumes.

Belkins the reason it smoked more is because it was your second application. Not becuase of how you got the fluid in there a different way.

Old 04-27-2010, 01:38 AM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gerehead8

The arguement between the pcv and breather hose is just dumb. The fluid flows to the same spot, under the same vacuum ect. You are supposed to pour it through the TB anyway, the hoses just make it easier.
That was the point I was trying to make, but I chose to let the challenger arrive at the conclusion himself.

Old 05-23-2010, 06:59 AM
M Laborde
Rookie

How long should you wait between uses (via the PCV) for best results?

Old 05-24-2010, 11:46 AM
Nando Vazquez
Veteran

Originally Posted by M Laborde
How long should you wait between uses (via the PCV) for best results?
I waited about a week before I put another can in. I put 1/3 of the can in the gas tank, oil, and intake the first week.

1/2 a can in the intake and gas the next as you have to change your oil right after putting seafoam into the crankcase.

The real improvement is felt after the second application or even third application.

Old 05-24-2010, 02:06 PM
DukeSupes
Captain

So what does Seafoam do in the crank case to where you have to change the oil within 100 miles?

Quick Reply: Seafoam Treatment!