2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

axle work

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 08:40 PM
willstruck
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default axle work

So, I posted a while ago that the hubs don't lock in my Dana 60. The CAD system is fine, it's probably the bearings in there. What all is involved with changing those bearings? Do I need anything besides the 2 bearings, like seals or anything? Any special tools? Is there a writeup anywhere?

Old 04-30-2010, 09:25 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

zman17 posted some pictures recently. i think both were bushings, not bearings.

did you ever try to slide your collar back and forth by hand?

i've not seen the d60, but on the d44 you would remove the passenger side wheel, brakes, bearing. then pull the outer axle. contact zman and get him to fill in the details. he hasn't posted anything recently.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ml#post2094197

Last edited by dhvaughan; 04-30-2010 at 09:39 AM.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:37 PM
willstruck
Professional

I read that the D44 comes apart the same was as the D60, thanks. I'll contact him. I haven't slid the collar by hand yet, but I'm going to do it Saturday and hopefully take apart the axle right afterwards, if it won't slide. The noise from the axle is getting worse, and I recently checked the wheel bearings, they were fine.

Old 05-01-2010, 12:41 PM
willstruck
Professional

The collar does not slide freely over onto the other shaft. How far is it supposed to go? I can barely get it over enough to just barely catch the shaft, and that takes a fair amount of effort by hand. I went everywhere trying to find someone that carries the bushings, I guess I'll have to order them from quad4x4.com

While under the truck, I noticed the bushing for the brake caliper was falling out. Now my caliper is loose, I gotta pull the pin and get the bushing back in.

Last edited by willstruck; 05-01-2010 at 04:05 PM.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:18 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

the collar should slide the same distance the shift fork moves. its not a lot, maybe 2 or 3 inches. look for any burrs on the shaft or the collar. you can clean those up with a file. i can't remember how much room there is - see if you can slip a screwdriver under one side to shift it vertically, simulating better alignment. see if it slides any better.

you can try getting those bushings at the dealer. they can't be too terribly expensive.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:24 PM
willstruck
Professional

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
the collar should slide the same distance the shift fork moves. its not a lot, maybe 2 or 3 inches. look for any burrs on the shaft or the collar. you can clean those up with a file. i can't remember how much room there is - see if you can slip a screwdriver under one side to shift it vertically, simulating better alignment. see if it slides any better.

you can try getting those bushings at the dealer. they can't be too terribly expensive.
Ya, I should have called them up yesterday to check. Now I have everything back together. The only way I could get it over was with the passenger side jacked up, and spinning the tire around I could coax it over. It only slid onto the other shaft less than .1" but I'm sure it's supposed to be more.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:29 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

what's the width of the collar, about 1 to 1-1/2 inches. it should slide over and be about equal more or less on both shafts.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:47 PM
willstruck
Professional

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
what's the width of the collar, about 1 to 1-1/2 inches. it should slide over and be about equal more or less on both shafts.
That's what I thought. It's definitely not sliding over that much.

Has anyone ever gotten a noise like mud tires make on the freeway, when their bushing went out? My wheel bearings seem to be fine, but I am getting this whirring noise.

Old 05-06-2010, 06:35 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The collar only slides over like about half it's width. It needs to be in contact with both splines to be engaged.

Quick Reply: axle work