2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fixing the Plenum, with out using the hughes kit. :(

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 05:23 PM
JackJ
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Fixing the Plenum, with out using the hughes kit. :(

Well, I was planning on ordering the hughes kit for this weekend but I lost my billing address, due to friends moving and not having time to fix it due to work. I don't have an actual mailing address either.

I was going to to just go buy a new gaskete for now and see if that will make any difference. Was just wondering if doing that for now until I can get a new shipping and billing address set up is actually worth it, and if I will see any change. I have a feeling mine is shot and prolly never changed, I got carbon build up on the TB last time I looked and I can barely brake free my 32's.

Old 05-01-2010, 05:30 PM
98formulaLS1
Professional

you will see a change, it will fix it for now. BUT, it's inevitable that the gasket will break again. And it's quite a job too. I recommend that you only do it ONCE. btw, I just did mine too, and I used the Hughes kit. Went perfect.

Old 05-01-2010, 05:33 PM
yakkier
Banned

I would wait man, im waiting i'v got the gasket already i just need the plate and i'v been tempted to just replace the gasket for the time being but iv weighed the pros and cons and honestly i dont want to break into the engine to replace it knowing i have to do it again in another 10k miles or sooner.

Old 05-01-2010, 05:45 PM
JackJ
Captain

I know I should wait, but I am having a fix it day on my truck tomorrow, doing ball joints on the right side, and I'll already have it in the shop on base.

Old 05-01-2010, 05:47 PM
yakkier
Banned

it's gonna take more than a day if you're doing balljoints ontop of the plenum, plenum is gonna take you 4 hours atleast if it's the first time you've ever done it.

Old 05-01-2010, 06:13 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

ID WAIT....it would be pointless and a waste of money if you just got a new gasket

Old 05-01-2010, 08:00 PM
DukesOfHazzard
Record Breaker

Could they ship it to a nieghbors , friend, base , shop... i would do that for someone if i could...

Old 05-01-2010, 08:22 PM
revvinram
Professional

Well I had mine replaced a few years back before I was a member here and knew about the updated plenums, all they did with mine was send the intake to the machine shop to check it for cracks and make sure the surfaces were flat on it, and replaced the plenum bolts, intake bolts and gaskets along with ultra copper gasket sealent. Its the same way he has always done these Dodge Rams and also his own personal Ram, he said he only had one issue in 13 yrs and that was because the intake was no good, but anyways I have over 32 thousand miles on my plenum since it was done, with no issues..
Just my two cents.. your opinions will vary!!

Old 05-01-2010, 08:31 PM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My one suggestion if you are gonna just do the gasket: Go and get new plenum bolts that are a little shorter than the stock ones. It would be interesting to see if that alone makes any difference in gasket life... and it's a cheap fix to one of the known problems with these motors

Old 05-01-2010, 09:04 PM
98formulaLS1
Professional

also, one important thing to mention is MAKE SURE YOU TORQUE TO INCH POUNDS and NOT FOOT POUNDS!!!! I learned that the hard way.

Quick Reply: Fixing the Plenum, with out using the hughes kit. :(