2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Brake job parts list

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 07:16 PM
redheadhunter21
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its your money if your bearings and seals are good and your having no problems I would keep them and just repack the bearings.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:19 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

They really aren't that expensive. (in the overall scheme of things, what with 90 dollar rotors....) Having everything new is kinda good for the peace of mind too.

Old 05-13-2010, 04:44 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you know...you can input your make/model/year/engine/drivetrain in summit to make sure the application fits the part.

I would call them to be sure.

I would also not waste my money on drilled and slotted rotors. Unless you have added performance parts that create a NEED for stopping faster, then it is a waste of money. Good brake pads and turning the rotors will be fine.

With the cash you are spending here, you could get a SCT and tune frome hemifever for 275.

--Dan

Old 05-13-2010, 04:46 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CPTAFW163
you know...you can input your make/model/year/engine/drivetrain in summit to make sure the application fits the part.

I would call them to be sure.

I would also not waste my money on drilled and slotted rotors. Unless you have added performance parts that create a NEED for stopping faster, then it is a waste of money. Good brake pads and turning the rotors will be fine.

With the cash you are spending here, you could get a SCT and tune frome hemifever for 275.

--Dan
Not only that, but drilled rotors have a tendency to crack. They're best left to use on motorcycles.

For greater stopping power, install the ¾-ton rear wheel cylinders. No regrets and it's an affordable mod.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:55 AM
notanexit7
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
link/pic ?

early model 2wd had rotor with hub 94-?
last couple of years 00-01 switched over to 4wd parts - sealed bearing/hubs and slip over rotors.
My 99 still has the hub/rotor. I really with I had the rear disks like the late 01's do. I just finished up replacing my shoes and cylinders on the drums and my god what a PITA.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:11 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Having the right tools makes it SO much easier. Brake spring pliers is my personal favorite. Granted, changing slave cylinders can be challenging..... brake lines tend to break, rather then unscrew..... but, consider where they hang out. Not exactly an environment conducive to staying clean, and rust free.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:27 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Having the right tools makes it SO much easier. Brake spring pliers is my personal favorite. Granted, changing slave cylinders can be challenging..... brake lines tend to break, rather then unscrew..... but, consider where they hang out. Not exactly an environment conducive to staying clean, and rust free.
That's why I clean them up well and use a bit of anti-seize on the threads.

Quick Reply: Brake job parts list