2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

oh my crazy dodge

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 07:22 PM
mopar723
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oh my crazy dodge

I have a 94 1500 dodge, It will start fine when cool, but after reaching running temp if I shut it off it will not restart. I have replaced the battery, starter and the alternator. Could this be the computer??

And actually today (a warm day) it would not start even after sitting all day had to arch the starter. I does not spit, spudder or stall... any answers anyone?

Old 05-11-2010, 07:33 PM
ghost4321
Professional

What does it do when it won't start? Does it crank? Does it try and just not quite get going?

Old 05-11-2010, 07:37 PM
mopar723

no crank no click,

Old 05-11-2010, 08:43 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Bad connection somewhere, or, failing starter motor.

To test, when the starter FAILS to operate, check for voltage at the brown wire AT the starter, should be 12 volts when the key is in the start position. If there is, and the starter still doesn't wanna work, replace the starter.

If not, check for power at pin 86 of the starter relay. (key also in start position) have to remove the relay for this, pins are labeled on the bottom side of the relay, if not on the PDC itself.

if you have power there, and putting everything back in, and the starter still fails to turn, replace the relay.

If not power there, ignition switch is prolly bad.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:07 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd guess that it's the relay in the power distribution panel. The cute little electromagnet that pulls the relay has a ferrite core inside that moves when the current is applied to the relay coil, and over time the cores become magnetized so they don't pull as hard. Hot cores also don't pull as hard. So add the magnetization and heat together and what you've got is a relay that works best or only when cold. (Yes, by golly, I am an electrical engineer! )

You can check this when it's hot and won't start by swapping the blower motor relay for the starter relay. If it will then start, and especially if the blower motor won't run, you've nailed it without ever touching a voltmeter.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:51 AM
KYHI
Rookie

Based on your comment that you "arched the starter" I would think a bad starter relay (solenoid)

Quick Reply: oh my crazy dodge