2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Still pass WA emissions sniffer with hollowed out cat?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 07:40 PM
Ugly1
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Still pass WA emissions sniffer with hollowed out cat?

My motor is still pretty new and so should be running about as well as possible. Would a strng running 360 pass emmissions without a cat?

Stupid cat started rattling yesterday and when out on errands today clogged up so bad the engine wouldn't even run. I had to pull out the O2 sensor to limp it home. When I got home I cut a hole in the side of the cat and emptied out the insides. When I was done I just patched up the hole. Holy crap that thing is loud now since I took off my mufffler a while back and just run a straight pipe. I ordered a new magnaflow cat off ebay but I was wondering how close I'd get to passing emmissions without hte cat. It sure does run good with that thing hollowed out. It would be cool if I could just leave it that way since it runs so much better like that.

Old 05-13-2010, 07:42 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

If tests aren't too much money, give it a run, and see if it passes. It has a pretty high likelihood of doing so. Make sure to change the oil RIGHT before you go though.

Old 05-13-2010, 07:47 PM
DukesOfHazzard
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah whetaver it takes! AND Whearabout's OF GOOD OLE WA... also....

Last edited by DukesOfHazzard; 05-14-2010 at 07:33 AM.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:49 PM
Ugly1
Record Breaker

It's only like 10 or 15 bucks for the test. I might just have to get it tested in the name of science. If it passes I might be a bit lazy about putting the new cat on. Maybe just placebo affect since it's so loud but I swear that thing revs up alot nicer now. It sounds like a drag strip over here now when I start it.

Old 05-13-2010, 07:51 PM
Ugly1
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by DukesOfHazzard
ALL i gotta say is hellllllll yeah whetaver it takes!!!!!!!! AND Whearabout's OF GOOD OLE WA... also....
Right here in the heart of liberal tree hugging militant Seattle. I'm the white trash redneck that brings down the value of the neighbors houses with my car lot in the front yard. lol!

Old 05-13-2010, 08:11 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if its not a breathe test you should be good, my neighbor said iif my engine light isnt on ill pass and i did with one cat on the one side

Old 05-13-2010, 08:54 PM
DukesOfHazzard
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LMFAO @ nieghbores , so true here also....!~! FROM LONG BEACH ,WA ... ABOUT 3 HRS SOUTH OF SEATTLE/..

Last edited by DukesOfHazzard; 05-14-2010 at 07:32 AM.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:45 PM
Ugly1
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by lastrights
if its not a breathe test you should be good
LOL! maybe I should have clarified. We are the tooth brushin kinda hill billies here. My breath isn't all that bad and I try not to hit the JD too hard until I'm off the road for the night.

I don't know what the test type is called the just shove a sniffer wand up your tailpipe (yikes) idle up to about 2-3 grand. Wow that sounds kinda funny, but that's what happens. lol. After that you get a printout with CO2, CO, and HC's.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed on the emmissions but man I just drove to the store and I think I'm going to put my muffler back on if it does pass. That thing is downright obnoxious now. I think it would even **** me off if I heard that thing starting up at 6AM.

Originally Posted by DukesOfHazzard
LMFAO @ nieghbores , so true here also....!~! FROM LONG BEACH ,WA PENINSULA.... BORN AND RAISED IF YOU KNOW WHERE THAT'S AT... ABOUT 3 HRS SOUTH OF SEATTLE/..
Oh yeah. Love Long Beach. That's one of the favorite places for me and the kids to go hang out. Cruise the shore, do a little dune jumping, and maybe a little sea bass fishing from the shore. Man I might have to try and make it down there this summer. That sounds like some good times.

Old 05-14-2010, 01:03 AM
2k10HemiRam
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ugly1
Right here in the heart of liberal tree hugging militant Seattle. I'm the white trash redneck that brings down the value of the neighbors houses with my car lot in the front yard. lol!
Well if Seattle is the heart then I wonder what that makes my hometown of Tacoma...Don't live there anymore, family does, but yea... Love the state but seriously hate the liberals...

Old 05-14-2010, 01:36 AM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my sniffer for my 2001 ram passed california bay area emissions. It was not even close to the max allowed for the bay area (most stringent testing). But I have 3 cats.

Give it a try. I doubt it will pass though. Highly doubt it.

Quick Reply: Still pass WA emissions sniffer with hollowed out cat?