2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

I am diving in, wish me luck!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 11:03 AM
Whaack
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 004x41500
youre good if you bought automotive grade bolts, and advance and autozone both list an intake bolt set for our trucks. as far as getting new bolts dont worry about it, TTY just means Torque-To-Yield, basically meaning once their torqued down to spec, they cant be retorqued because the bolt has already been stretched to its max, and wont hold down like it should.

basically a TTY bolt is a one time use bolt, unless you use it on something that doesnt require torquing

Ok, that makes me happy to hear. I know Advance and Autozone list the bolts but none of the stores keep them in stock around here and I needed them yesterday so I could finish the fix.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:11 AM
Flue
Veteran

good job getting that plug out. I need to do the plenum fix this summer along with heater core, woo hoo. Could that video get any more boring and/or annoying?

Old 05-17-2010, 11:25 AM
Whaack
Rookie

Originally Posted by Flue
good job getting that plug out. I need to do the plenum fix this summer along with heater core, woo hoo. Could that video get any more boring and/or annoying?
No doubt. I started out thinking about removing the plug shield for easier access but realized that wasn't going to happen. That thing was in there good. I used one of the short EZ outs vs. the longer ones so I could get more torque to the threads. Popped right out!

Old 05-17-2010, 07:48 PM
truegent81
Captain

thats good to know about the TTY bolts. never really understood what that actually meant. either way, i planned on ordering the plenum from hughes and their bolt/gasket pack for an extra 45$. so after doing this project, if i already had a tune up last year, all i should really do is a put on a new dis rotor and cap correct? what brand wires and plugs did you use? lookin forward to your pics.

what do you mean by torqued them in order? is there an order like when torquing a wheel on the truck? and with TTY do you have to use red locktite? still trying to get familiar with when to use locktite, sealants, etc. what about "plumbers tape" that they wrap around the threads. is there something similar to that for automotive use especially near the engine?

Old 05-17-2010, 08:08 PM
004x41500
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by truegent81
thats good to know about the TTY bolts. never really understood what that actually meant. either way, i planned on ordering the plenum from hughes and their bolt/gasket pack for an extra 45$. so after doing this project, if i already had a tune up last year, all i should really do is a put on a new dis rotor and cap correct? what brand wires and plugs did you use? lookin forward to your pics.

what do you mean by torqued them in order? is there an order like when torquing a wheel on the truck? and with TTY do you have to use red locktite? still trying to get familiar with when to use locktite, sealants, etc. what about "plumbers tape" that they wrap around the threads. is there something similar to that for automotive use especially near the engine?

loc-tite can be use pretty much anywhere, and yes there is a order to torque them in, as well as steps such as 1-3-5 to 12lbs then 2 4 6 to 12lbs then 1 3 5 to 18lbs then 2 4 6 to 18 lbs... that was just an example.

the factory champions seem to work best or the champion truck plugs. im runnin MSD street fire 8mm plug wires, and yes it would be a good idea to replace them and be done with it, im actually thinking of doin crank, cam, and oil press sensors, cap, and rotor, just to do them and be done with them, and know their good as well. expensive? fairly, though worth it in the long run.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:35 PM
2001Ram
Captain

Hell > Background Music

Quick Reply: I am diving in, wish me luck!