2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Regearing Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 09:37 PM
ramsport-99
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If u do it urself u will need torque wrenches, a dial indicator, and a good manual. The problem is if u dont get ur pinion depth right the first time, u have to take everything back apart to adjust it, basically, if u have never done one and r a little timmid about it, i wouldnt do it, Paying someone else is cheaper than tearing everything up that u just worked so hard on, and remeber, once u get a noise in a diff, its almost imposible to get rid of it, and its very easy to be off just a little somewhere and get a that anoying whine from the diff. This job isnt hard, just technical

Old 05-18-2010, 09:43 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by gipperkid
Oh I wouldn't be installing the gears. I've got a local that gives me good discounts. He originally rebuilt, or I guess refreshed, the front diff in my truck for $500. Bearings, seals, u-joints, and hub bearings and labor. But as long as I'm keeping the original carriers, I would just need new ring & pinion sets and install kits?
You'll need everything in that list I typed out earlier (minus maybe the LSD if you don't want one).

Glad you have a local trusted guy. Its jobs like these that you sometimes find out if your normal maintenance guy is a real mechanic or a joker.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:53 PM
gipperkid
Veteran

Yea my local guy is pretty cool. I had a 94 Dakota that rear brake kept locking up on and I was burning up shoes and the drums were stuck. He had the truck for 3 or 4 days on and off. Turned the drums, new wheel cylinders, and shoes. Charged me $50. And he always mounts and balances tires for me for nothing. SO he always gets something extra in his Christmas card each year. LOL.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:58 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonw
Mine isn't done yet, but I've got all the materials and done all the research (quotes, brands, etc.). All I have to do is schedule the appointment. Unfortunately, due to budget constraints with some unexpected expenses, I may have to postpone the actual install until the next tax refund.

I got one heck of a deal from a member here on the forums last year for a 3.92 ring and pinion set, for both axles. Slightly used, but great shape, should work just fine, otherwise I'd be going with 4.10s... those are about $250 per axle for cheap sets, and I wouldn't necessarily recommend cheap ring and pinion gears.

$75 - Used "thick" 3.92 ratio ring and pinion gear for Dana 44 axle
$75 - Used 3.92 ratio ring and pinion gear for Chrysler 9.25 axle
$210 - Yukon Master Install Kit for Dana 44 axle (including shipping from Randy's Ring & Pinion)
$100 - Moe's Master Install Kit for Chrysler 9.25 axle (free shipping from Moe's Performance)
$435 - Auburn Gear Limited Slip Differential for Chrysler 9.25 axle (free shipping from Moe's Performance)
$1000 - Maximum possible labor dollars (or so they quoted me).
-----------
$1895

If you were buying brand new gears, obviously you may get more than a little over $2000 into it. On top of that, make sure you get Timken bearings like I did. They cost a little more, but any other brand seems to have issues. Yes, you should get new bearings (hence the "Master Install Kit" rather than just "Install Kit" or "Minor Install kit") if you've put over 30,000 miles on the current units.
this looks more realistic except I bought that yukon master (comes with timken bearings) install kit on ebay for much cheaper (for the rear though) when I had my rear end rebuild because someone didnt install the 4.56 gears right and the lsd also blew up and had to be rebuild....cost me $800 for parts and labor to replace pinion bearings and rebuild the more expensive older type lsd so... and I had my jeep wrangler converted to 4.56 gears about 9 years ago for $1200 parts and labor (spicer gears)... all depends on where you go and where you livew.

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 05-18-2010 at 11:02 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:04 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If anyone is looking for good gear prices check out this site.

http://completeoffroad.com/c-69615-g...-packages.html

They come with install kits.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:39 PM
MrRuckuss
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

accu autoparts is a good place if your just looking for gears. both front and rear d60/d70 for my truck is $300ish.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:00 AM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonw
$435 - Auburn Gear Limited Slip Differential for Chrysler 9.25 axle (free shipping from Moe's Performance)
Silly question: For just about a hundred bucks more, why not go with the Detroit Locker?

I've never had an Auburn unit so don't know the difference, but I absolutely loved the Detroit in my old Cherokee.

Old 05-19-2010, 01:19 AM
97tn4x4
Record Breaker

A LSD is alot more street friendly. I've heard bad things about the thick gears. Anybody have any experience either way? Not meaning to thread jack.

Old 05-19-2010, 02:26 AM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
Silly question: For just about a hundred bucks more, why not go with the Detroit Locker?

I've never had an Auburn unit so don't know the difference, but I absolutely loved the Detroit in my old Cherokee.
A detroit lockers is almost 600 smacks. I will be placing one in my 9.25 once i get the $ I'm about half way there.

Old 05-19-2010, 03:54 AM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dodge15004x45.9
A detroit lockers is almost 600 smacks. I will be placing one in my 9.25 once i get the $ I'm about half way there.
I loved mine in my Dana 60, kinda liked feeling the ratcheting turns that confirmed it was still working. With a Detroit in the rear and an ARB in the front the only way to stick the thing was to sink it or high-center it. I never did manage to sink it, but I once got frame-hung enough that I needed help because there was nothing to which I might anchor the winch cable. The wrecker that got me out ended up buried in the mud so I swapped him recovery for recovery and got out for free.

Mine's an open diff today, but there's a Detroit Locker in its future. And maybe an ARB for the front, if I can convince the old woman to let me spend the money on it. I might have to get into a stick with her in the jump seat first.

Quick Reply: Regearing Questions