2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Regearing Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 09:23 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dodge15004x45.9
If anyone is looking for good gear prices check out this site.

http://completeoffroad.com/c-69615-g...-packages.html

They come with install kits.
I'd call and make darn sure they come with master install kits. I highly doubt they do, they more than likely come with minor install kits, which as I stated before, if its been over 30,000 miles since you last touched the bearings in your axles, you need master install kits.

Even if they are master install kits, I even more highly doubt they are the more expensive Timken bearings type of kits.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:38 AM
gipperkid
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the problem with thick gears for the 3.73 and down carriers?

Old 05-19-2010, 06:31 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
this looks more realistic except I bought that yukon master (comes with timken bearings) install kit on ebay for much cheaper (for the rear though) when I had my rear end rebuild because someone didnt install the 4.56 gears right and the lsd also blew up and had to be rebuild...
Yeah, for some reason the Chrysler 9.25 is much cheaper on install kits about anywhere you look.

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
Silly question: For just about a hundred bucks more, why not go with the Detroit Locker?

I've never had an Auburn unit so don't know the difference, but I absolutely loved the Detroit in my old Cherokee.
The Detroit Locker is a complete locker. Wheels have to turn at the same rate. I rarely plan on going off-road, mostly the truck is my DD, so the Auburn Limited Slip is a better choice for me and my needs.

Originally Posted by 97tn4x4
I've heard bad things about the thick gears. Anybody have any experience either way? Not meaning to thread jack.
I've heard other say the same, but they could never explain why, and I've seen others on here use them without ill effect.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:46 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jasonw
I'd call and make darn sure they come with master install kits. I highly doubt they do, they more than likely come with minor install kits, which as I stated before, if its been over 30,000 miles since you last touched the bearings in your axles, you need master install kits.

Even if they are master install kits, I even more highly doubt they are the more expensive Timken bearings type of kits.
dodgeboy7, and big.red.ram both ordered 4.56's gears from them and they came with master install kits. I'm not sure what brand it the install kits where I'll Have to bug dodgeboy7 later.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:00 PM
94Beater
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just did 4.88 gear in my 9.25 rear.
getting ready to do the front with the same gear.
I did all the work myself. Yeah, I did need to get few more tools, but it outweight what I would have to spent on installation.
If you have to use THICK gear in your stock carrier you'll need to grind down one of the teeth as the cross pin will not slide through. That is what i had to do.
But boy, it took me about good 20-25 tries before I could get everything setup to the specs.
Not counting all the booze I had to get. Setting up process took me about 2hrs.
I've used Yukon Gear with their installation kit.
This is my first axle - I've never setup an axle before.
Just thought someone there done it so I can do it too.
Well now I got about 100 miles on the rear end and no noises, no funny sounds. Everything inspects tight. Looks great too. I got some small gussets welded onto the axle and I've flipped the U-bolts. They actually install from the bottom now with the bracket sitting on top of the springs.

Quick Reply: Regearing Questions