2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Started my new bumper

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 04:01 PM
Ram_Me
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it looks pretty good! It can definitely get built up as you go too! The only things I could think of that could be done is maybe have it be a little higher up, add some tow hooks, lights, and maybe a skid plate in the future?

Old 05-29-2010, 05:13 PM
TheBigRedOne

Originally Posted by longram94
I do apprciate constructive ideas, but people getting on and just being plain rude is disrespectful. This is why i think many people do not post what they do to their truck.

bottom line is its my trck. i think it matches the body lines pretty damn well. i did not angle it back to match exactly becase then i wold run into clearence issues with the tires that are going on it.

Trust me the guy who helped me build it has built alot of off road bumpers and smacked into many large things and they did not budge. That is were the factory mounts there bumpers so i think it is fine.

If you would have read the full post you would have read that it is going to be moved in as soon as i get my winch to make sure there is room. You would of also read that it is NOT finished and is NOT being driving on the road or anywhere as of now, Last night we welded in gussets from the tubes to the 3/8 mounting brackets.

SOME people ****ing amaze me. this is not out to all you who have complimented me or who gave me constructive comments such as dodge15004x45.9 and bluebeast2. its to you a-holes who never post anythign helpful to anyone but just browse arond looking for something to nit-pick apart like thebigredone.

Ill prolly just stop posting any thing.
Relax, I gave you constructive criticism. You chose to take offense instead. The bumper itself looks to be very stout. However what you have it mounted to is very very weak. The factory bumper works fine there because its designed to crush in an accident. That thing you've put there isn't going to do that. Therefor that energy is going to be transmitted back through the frame.

If you want to have a bumper like that, you need to significantly reinforce the frame. I would box it in all the way back to the front suspension crossmember, then gusset and 360 weld the entire truss.

I've built literally hundreds of bumpers for customers of the shop I work at. Over 10 of the bumper's I've built have been in serious collisions. Rollovers, headons, endo's, you name it. Most of these accidents were during races. Only one of the bumper's I've built have failed, and that was because I rushed while welding, and didn't realize the steel was improperly treated.

You say I'm nit-picking and being an *******, thats fine by me. I'm just telling you how it is. The laws of physics don't change just because you don't like them.

Last edited by TheBigRedOne; 05-29-2010 at 05:23 PM.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:16 PM
longram94

i moved the bumper in about 5 inches, added guessets, and welded in 3x3 square tubing acrosee the frame where it mounts.

A litttle more done.

Old 06-02-2010, 05:48 PM
Ram_Me
Captain

Looks good with the added clearance!

Old 06-02-2010, 06:57 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Looks a lot better. Are you going to add any plate steel on it? 1/8- 1/4? Would be nice for the top pice to rest stuff on mabye some lights?

I hope you used grade 8 bolts or 5 min.

Might not be a bad idea to add some more tube on the ends.

Since you want to add a winch to it I would take come tube and run it down to the frame where you have it the bumper mounts coming from so it can't rip off as easy.

Old 06-09-2010, 02:48 AM
canadian dakota
Record Breaker

looking good man keep it up cant wait to see her finished up

Quick Reply: Started my new bumper