2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Plenum Repair Materials

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 12:38 AM
Nando Vazquez
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks ill take a look at those.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:30 PM
truegent81
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

purpl i understand you emphasize rock auto and i agree with SOME of the products but what do you say about moparonlineparts.com

its cheaper than dealer (a little more expensive over rockauto) and you won't have to worry about the parts not fitting correctly. ive been tempted to use rock auto but i dont wanna risk a part not properly fitting or not being made with same OEM material

Last edited by truegent81; 06-02-2010 at 09:30 PM.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:36 PM
truegent81
Captain

ive used the goodyear gator belt on both of my trucks. they really hold up and i havent had an issue with them. no squeaking, fraying, cracking, nothing. worth the $30

Old 06-02-2010, 02:21 PM
truegent81
Captain

hey purpl on rockauto what do the three choices mean? economy, regular, CAPA? if i was to order anything from RA, should i get the CAPA? tia

Old 06-02-2010, 02:37 PM
J McWillis
Professional

Got my fuel pump from rockauto. Pretty good little website.

Old 06-02-2010, 02:54 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by truegent81
purpl i understand you emphasize rock auto and i agree with SOME of the products but what do you say about moparpartsonline.com

its cheaper than dealer (a little more expensive over rockauto) and you won't have to worry about the parts not fitting correctly. ive been tempted to use rock auto but i dont wanna risk a part not properly fitting or not being made with same OEM material
Its just like going down to NAPA, Advance Auto, or Autozone (except you dont have to deal with the idiots at Autozone ). Seriously, would you buy a timing chain, water pump, spark plugs, oxygen sensors, etc from your local dealer or the online dealer? I've never worried about a part I have got from an auto parts store. There are some parts like my heater core for example that it was worth it to me to get the Mopar part instead of an aftermarket part. Just use common sense when you buy parts, you get what you pay for.
hey purpl on rockauto what do the three choices mean? economy, regular, CAPA? if i was to order anything from RA, should i get the CAPA? tia
What the hell are you talking about?

Old 06-02-2010, 09:30 PM
truegent81
Captain

when you go to rock auto and you have looked up a part IE headlights you have to choose which one. in the drop down box there are choices: economy, regular, and CAPA. they each have a different price associated with them...

Old 06-02-2010, 11:00 PM
J McWillis
Professional

Originally Posted by truegent81
when you go to rock auto and you have looked up a part IE headlights you have to choose which one. in the drop down box there are choices: economy, regular, and CAPA. they each have a different price associated with them...
You got me curious with that question so I hit their FAQ page. Might help.

Q: Why is there such a wide range of prices between brands?
A: Some customers insist on "nothing but the best." Others say, "I just want something that will work." We try to satisfy both by offering parts at different price/quality levels. Premium brands like Wagner and Raybestos are often identical to the parts that came on the vehicle originally. Sometimes they are even "better than new" because they're designed to solve problems the car manufacturer overlooked. They are made from top-quality materials that will last a long time. And of course, Premium brands spend a lot on marketing.
Economy parts like Guardian, Pro-Tec, and Tru-Tech are usually made outside North America. They may look different than the OEM part they replace (though they will fit the vehicle). They may lack features like grease fittings or chamfered edges. They may use lower-quality materials and wear out sooner. These parts are designed to meet, but probably not exceed, OEM requirements. They're functional parts at a great price.
If you're an aggressive driver, travel a lot of miles, use your truck to haul heavy loads, and plan to keep it a long time, it's probably worth the extra money for a Premium part. If you're just running errands around town and your car has so many miles that the engine is likely to die before the brake pads or ball joints wear out, Economy parts are probably fine.

And CAPA - Certified Automotive Parts Association. Those are the fancy-shmancy parts.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:56 AM
truegent81
Captain

good call mcwillis. thats exactly what i was talking about. well i guess either reuglar or capa will work. not gonna invest in the economy line..

Old 06-03-2010, 03:35 PM
J McWillis
Professional

Yeah, I wouldn't either. Regular would probably work for most of what you need, but for any important part I'd go CAPA if there's not a huge price diff. I went reg on my fuel pump and haven't had any trouble.

Quick Reply: Plenum Repair Materials