2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Put on my Poormans TB today

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 09:43 PM
zje400ex
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ohh. Haha. Must be! In the stars put dodge talk (no spaces in between dodge and talk)

Old 05-31-2010, 11:58 AM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ya some people buy them on ebay for like 4 bucks "the blades"

Old 06-01-2010, 07:42 AM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sheriff420
I was looking for 1.988 or 1.99 for a while and didn't find any, all I could find was 2", so I'm gonna have to play with them and the belt sander to get them right.
So what I'm saying is good luck finding some that will work for 52mm.
Also keep in mind that the plates sit at about a 14º angle and have the edges cut in such a way as to keep them from sticking to the bore on the TB. So if you but 52mm plates for a 52mm bore then they will be too small.
My stock plates are 1.978 and fit perfect if they lay flat, but when they are in the bar then there is a gap since they are at an angle.
If you're just removing the stepdowns inside the bores of a stock 50mm TB, you will need to adjust the blade angle slightly to close up the gap around the blades.

After removing the stepdowns and before installing the TB, on the front top of the passenger side of the 5.2 and 5.9 TB's, you'll see what looks like a very small freeze plug inside a hole. Using a 13/64th drill bit, drill out and remove this plug. Behind it you'll see a screw that uses a T25 torx bit. Insert the blades in the throttle shaft, insert the four 4mm x 6mm screws but DO NOT TIGHTEN and DO NOT FORGET TO USE A DROP OF BLUE LOCTITE ON THE TIP OF EACH SCREW. With the blades loosely mounted in the throttle shaft, using the T25 tox bit, back the adjusting screw out until it no longer touches the tab on the linkage. At this point, you'll want to open the blades and let them snap closed about 3-4 times as this will center the blades in the bores. With the blades in the closed position, snug up the screws in the throttle shaft to hold the blades in position. When you're opening and closing the blades, you'll feel the blades stick inside the bores. Turn the adjusting screw clockwise a little at a time until you no longer feel the blades stick. After you reach this point, turn the screw 1/2 turn and if you haven't removed too much material inside the bores, you should see very little gap between bores and the blades. If the gap is still too large, you will have a high idle issue that the IAC sensor will not be able to compensate for increased air flow. At this point, you'll either need to consider increasing the bore to 52mm using new 2" blades or buy another TB and start over because this one is now junk.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:07 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I thought about adjusting that screw but I figured that it would throw off the TPS since the end of the bar is what turns the little screw deal inside the TPS.

Have you adjusted one like that before? If that will work then I'll do it and be happy.

The throttle body itself is good, I bored it out to .002 under what the fastman bores them to for the 5.2l motor. 52mm is too big for my little motor.

Here's mine that I still haven't finished yet

Old 06-01-2010, 09:41 AM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sheriff420
I thought about adjusting that screw but I figured that it would throw off the TPS since the end of the bar is what turns the little screw deal inside the TPS.

Have you adjusted one like that before? If that will work then I'll do it and be happy.

The throttle body itself is good, I bored it out to .002 under what the fastman bores them to for the 5.2l motor. 52mm is too big for my little motor.
It will not interfer with the TPS sensor and yes, I've adjusted literally 100's of these TB's like that.

Your TB looks real good and looks like all you have to do is adjust the blade angle and you'll be set on go.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:56 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds good to me, I'll have to get on that tomorrow since I have to work tonight. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Put on my Poormans TB today