2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

P0500 - Vehicle Speed Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 10:42 AM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default P0500 - Vehicle Speed Sensor

So my dad just stopped in here with his 99 2WD wanting me to hook up my scanner to it. The CEL, ABS light, brake light all came on a day or 2 ago apparently all at once. So I scanned it and got this code... And he showed me a clump of melted plastic on the back of the passenger manifold, he's gone home now to check it out and see if he melted a wire or 2 somehow. Will the VSS throw the ABS and brake warning light on as well as the CEL?

The tranny was JUST rebuilt a couple weeks ago at a reputable shop. We both noticed a whine coming out of it only when in OD, so he's taking it back to have them look at it again. I told him to mention the P0500 code and get them to check it out, but he's just curious if this is all related, or if maybe he DID burn some wires and the VSS issue is separate from the brake issue, albeit possibly due to the same cause...

Old 06-01-2010, 01:02 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,274 Likes on 3,021 Posts

See where the wires from the burnt connector go... if they go down to the trans.... trans shop needs to fix their screw up.

VSS will set the ABS light as well. It kinda needs that input to work right. Does your speedometer still work?

Old 06-01-2010, 01:23 PM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker

Crap forgot about the speedometer, no it's not working right either. It doesn't kick in til around 60 km/h or so I think... I dunno if he's had a look at that burnt mess yet, so I don't know if there are actually any burnt wires or not... Makes perfect sense about the VSS/ABS relationship heyyou, I shoulda known that anyways...

So basically he's either got some melted wires to take care of, or the VSS itself is causing all of this, right? If so, then how likely is it that the tranny shop fudged it up? Or perhaps maybe it was just time for it to go, but seems coincidental for it to go bad right after a rebuild. He still has to take it back regardless of what he finds out due to the whining noise it's making.

Old 06-01-2010, 02:01 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

If his truck is four wheel drive, VSS is in the transfer case. They would have to play with that to drop the trans in any event.... so, it is possible the some wires shifted about, and they either didn't bother, or didn't notice. (yeah, that happens.... ooops....) In any event, it is rather likely that this was their goof.....

Speedo not working, and the codes, and assorted lights there are on are perfectly reasonable. I think fix one issue, and you will solve them all. (aside from the trans whining.)

Old 06-01-2010, 02:17 PM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker

well his is a 2 wheeler so where is the VSS on them? I thought it was in the OD unit on the back of the tranny? For what it's worth, the OD unit is what let go in it in the first place to require the rebuild...

Thanks for the help heyyou, always good to have another knowledge head on the forum

Old 06-01-2010, 04:34 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

On a 2wd, VSS will be on the tailshaft of the trans. If ya crawl under there and look, it should be pretty easy to find. (I think on these tranny's, the O/D unit IS the tailshaft? or some such.... )

Old 06-21-2010, 11:37 AM
ramario99
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So my ram is doing the same thing. Except mine is a 2wd with automatic transmission. I went to Autozone and they only sell the VSS that is located on the differential, BUT its for Rams with manual transmission only. My question is, does my automatic have a VSS on the differential and/or will the sensor that Autozone shows me work on my automatic. Also if Autozone doesn't have it, where else can I get it?

Old 06-21-2010, 11:49 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

I think in 98, or thereabouts... the VSS on the trans went the way of the dodo, and the sensor in the rear diff now serves double duty. (wheel speed sensor, and VSS)

Old 06-21-2010, 12:07 PM
bigtman07
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's the way my 98 is set up.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:11 PM
ramario99
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So will the one that Autozone offers me work? Supposedly its only for manual transmissions.

here's the link: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...searchText=vss

Quick Reply: P0500 - Vehicle Speed Sensor