2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Royal Purple

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 12:37 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well then, I don't think that lucas is a detergent. It is just an oil stabilizer.

THat is why this thread was confusing. I read in a car magazine about 3 years ago, that they pulled some old military diesel pickup, and kept flushing the engine with synthetic to clean it out. They said they needed 20 quarts before the oil was not completely black. They flushed it in a day.

I would say that you can clean your engine very well if you do a synthetic oil change once a month for 3 months. Just get the cheap oreilleys synthetic for 1.99 per quart.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:41 PM
Flue
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't much care if syn is better than conv. Everyone else swears the "other" is better. But I was told once, pick and oil and stay with it. Don't go swapping and switching every change cause you can get brand X cheaper than brand Y this month. That said. I only run Valvolene(sp?) in my engines (car,truck,van, lawn mower) Is it better or worse than Mobil, AMS, Purple? I don't know, don't care. It's the only brand I've put in any of my vehicles for the last 25 years. Change it regularly, keep from dropping crap in it when adding and you "should" be just fine with what ever you choose to use.

Is it bunch of bull? I don't know, but I've not had any problems with any of my engines in that 25 years. It's too damn bad Valv won't cover my car with their 250k warranty, it's been past the cut off mileage point for years.

Old 06-04-2010, 03:54 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

14 mpgs city, 17-18 highway in my 4x4 5.9L

and also, Halfamil, a registered user here, only used super tech oil from walmart, and he has 450k on his ORIGINAL motor....still going to this day i believe (he bought a Cummins)

Old 06-04-2010, 04:10 PM
DukeSupes
Captain

Since I was a kid I always used Havoline oil 10w-40 in everything that I drove and a fram filter. I dont know what the story is, but Havoline is no longer sold at ANY parts store or walmart in the KC area. Really pissed me off at first but got to looking and Mobil 1 makes a "Clean 5000" conventional oil and they dropped the price to match what Havoline was selling at $11 per 5 quart jug. So I started using the mobil 1 conventional stuff and walmart is now selling mopar brand filters so I use them. I have not noticed any differences, but everything is apparently still very clean so I cant complain.

Old 06-04-2010, 04:16 PM
DukeSupes
Captain

Also would like to give my opinion on the whole oil maintenance conflict. I personally dont think that it makes a difference what oil you use as long as you change it on a reasonable frequency. I saw that some think that oil starts to show signs of breaking down around 10k? If that is the case, changing it at 3k or even 4k would mean that you are ensuring that your engine is using the best time on the age of that oil.

When I bought my ram a month ago the first thing I did was buy the supplies to changing the diff oil, tranny oil and engine oil. No telling when the guy that owned it before my changed it or his beliefs on this subject. But I noticed a WORLD of difference after my second oil change and the second application of seafoam.

Old 06-04-2010, 04:32 PM
nopower318
Veteran

i run Mobil 1 full synthetic with a mopar filter, when I bought my truck that's the first I did and noticed that it idled better and felt like it had more pep and not one drop of oil out the rear main. Just my .2

Quick Reply: Royal Purple