2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

May need to replace heads!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 09:49 AM
bigtman07
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question May need to replace heads!!

Ok so I have come to the conclusion since I have had my miss coming back off and on for the last week that I have an issue with the heads or the cylinder. You can see most of my symptoms in my too many opinions. I am taking it to the stealership I know bad move but its not for the heads I hope. I am sending it in there for the ABS so maybe I can get an answer to all the folks on here with the ABS Brake light. But back to the heads. I think they may be cracked which I doubt cause its intermittent. I think its more of a bad valve seat. So my question to the experts. *cough* CM *cough* is how should I go about this. Should I have the stealership pull the heads while its there and check them out or should I try to do it myself or should I just go get a new head and slap it on there. What is the best way to do it? I know I can do the work I just don't trust myself 100%. So any info on the heads would be greatly appreciated.

Things like where to get new, how to fix the old, should I do it, should a shop do it,tips or other ideas.

Thanks experts!

Old 06-04-2010, 11:15 AM
dodgeram07
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well seeing that you can do the plenum gasket your self you sould beable to pull one head

Old 06-04-2010, 11:25 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,382 Likes on 3,122 Posts

is your truck your daily driver?

As I recall, you did a compression test, and it came out ok didn't it?

dodgeram07 has the right of it too. The heads are just a few more bolts after removing the intake.

Did swapping the injectors have any effect?

Old 06-04-2010, 11:27 AM
bigtman07
Captain

Yea I know that. But after i get it off what do I do. I know the obvious check for cracks bent valves and what not. But how do I fix the head. I'm assuming you just buy a whole new head or take it to a shop.

You were posting as I was lol.

I did a compression check came back at 145 for all but number 7 it was 115. I know it's a few more bolts. Don't think it's that hard. My truck is and isn't my DD. I have been driving the stang while trying to figure this out. The injectors did nothing btw.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:37 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Once you have the heads off, send 'em to a shop to have 'em checked. (cracks are not necessarily visible to the naked eye.....) See what the shop has to say.

If you just wanna swap 'em, you can get stock replacement heads off of ebay for about 275 each. Granted, you end up with the same problematic heads....... but, if money is a consideration... there ya go. You can spend a LOT more on them, and pick up a bit of performance as well, should you so choose.

Another option would be to have the stealership diagnose the problem....... and take it from there. I would REALLY hate to see the price tag on having them put new heads on there though. You will get the same problematic heads, but, you will pay over 500 each for them... or more. Have them give you a diagnosis, and then you fix it.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:44 AM
bigtman07
Captain

That's the way I was thinking of going. Hell while I'm at it might as well throw on some RR while they are off and have both sides done at a shop. How does that sound?? Better idea. Trying not to spend a fortune. Want to keep it under a grand. and as low as possible.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:47 AM
nopower318
Veteran

If you replace one head you might as well do both of them, and it would also be a great time to brake out the drimel and do some port work.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:47 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

See what the problem is, and run with it from there. It might be something simple, that we have just overlooked, or, something completely unrelated....... (that has happened more times than I care to admit.....) If it is indeed the heads, go for the inexpensive replacements, and your RR's, and just do the work yourself. If you have a decent torque wrench, that is the only special tool you need.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:51 AM
bigtman07
Captain

No special springs or compressors or anything?? I know my way around an engine but as far as the inner workings I am a complete noob. So yea lots of dumb questions are going to be asked and I'm gonna get flamed a lot. Oh well.

Flame on!!!

Old 06-04-2010, 12:09 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Not from me you won't.

When you pull the heads, you need to be sure to keep track of the order on the rockers, and pushrods. They need to go back into the same positions they are currently in. (ignore the rockers part though if you replace them.)

When you send the heads to the shop, just leave the valves/springs/and such intact, no need to take them off. The shop will want them anyway. If the heads are still usable.... you can have a valve job done, and have that out of the way as well.

Quick Reply: May need to replace heads!!