2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dissolving Locktite

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 11:17 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WOW, you used locktite when people normally use anti seize on those bolts.

Old 06-07-2010, 02:11 AM
offroadjosh
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can buy mek at most stores here..

Old 06-07-2010, 02:34 AM
BlueBeast2
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You guys are all "OMG" Blue it the easy to loosen one lol. It's made for being able to take out later just not work itself out. I would try the heat idea is any sticking out at all?

Locking header bolts are your friend

Old 06-07-2010, 09:10 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
Man, can MEK even be acquired without a permit? In the Navy, the guy who ran the paint locker on board ship smoked with an open 55-gallon drum of MEK right there.
So I take it that means you were in the Navy, in some sort of mechanical job. Did you ever use a penetrating oil called oil of wintergreen? My dad used to use that when he was in the Navy and he said that it only takes a drop or two for the bolts that looked like they hadn't been removed in 20 years and were exposed to ocean air for that whole time.
I found out that it is toxic when I went googling for some and I told him about it. He thought it was pretty funny when I told him that they keep it under lock and key and you have to sign it out when you need it now a days because when he was in the Navy they just kept it in an brown bottle on an unmonitored shelf.

AIM, is there enough sticking out to get a wrench on? I found out a little trick the other day on a camaro forum, If there is enough sticking out then you can grind flats on two sides with a dremel and use a wrench to get it out. I did that on one of mine on the camaro and it worked well. I figure the rust on that bolt is about equal to blue loctite on newish bolts. The loctite might already be broken down anyway, at idle your manifolds should be sitting around 400º. My headers on my 5.2l and my dads manifolds on his 5.9l are that temperature at idle.

Last edited by Sheriff420; 06-07-2010 at 09:14 AM.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:43 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Sheriff420
So I take it that means you were in the Navy, in some sort of mechanical job. Did you ever use a penetrating oil called oil of wintergreen? My dad used to use that when he was in the Navy and he said that it only takes a drop or two for the bolts that looked like they hadn't been removed in 20 years and were exposed to ocean air for that whole time.
I found out that it is toxic when I went googling for some and I told him about it. He thought it was pretty funny when I told him that they keep it under lock and key and you have to sign it out when you need it now a days because when he was in the Navy they just kept it in an brown bottle on an unmonitored shelf.

I played Bo'sun Mate for a while before moving to Data Processing. Never heard of the "Wintergreen" stuff, but my Marine Corps brother brought home some stuff called CLP that the jarheads used for cleaning their weapons. It does a better job of freeing stuck fasteners than WD-40, which my dad will buy by the gallon. I wised up about 15 years ago and told my dad that WD-40 is total **** and to use PBlaster. I've since been informed by people that Kroil is the absolute BEST for rusted fasteners.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:16 AM
Fifthwheelin
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any real mechanic will use vise grips on the bolt and heat to loosen the lock tite.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:24 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I used loctite because those little F'ers continually back out on me and loctite usually works wonders holding them in. perhaps lock washers are in order.

The spare bolt must have been weak as I only used a closed end wrench on it, The unset loctite does act as a lubricant though, and might have allowed for more torque than I thought possible on a hand wrench.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:29 AM
BlueBeast2
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Your just too damn strong. Better put down the wrench

Old 06-07-2010, 10:35 AM
plumbob1968
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

prob over 25 yrs ago or so but i remember dad used to get the bolt cherry red and then throw a cup of water on it...that was on the really stubborn bolts...it never failed him to the best of my recollection

Old 06-07-2010, 10:36 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Maybe I should use my left arm. The right arm is stronger from constant master....

Quick Reply: Dissolving Locktite