2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hemi Swap into a 2nd Generation Ram

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 09:41 PM
HemiDak-Quad
Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, Hemi's have a very small bolt pattern for motor mounts compared to other Dodge Motors.
I have an 04 Dash wiring harness if you need it, But I don't think the differences between 03-04 dash wiring is enough to be concerned about,as long as you don't get into the cruise control,Lights-"OR" the wires that go to the inside fuse panel.As long as you stick with the guage wires you'll be O.K.
As for figuring out what year your PCM is : a 1003 is missing many of the pins. They go to the TCM. They were added to the Orange and black plug in 2004..and the TCM Plug was eliminated from the harness. If you don't know how to read the pin-outs now's a great time to learn.You'll need a pin-out for your 97 . You can find it by googeling 1997 Dodge PCM pin-out,then hit view on the top of your screen. Then go through the many pin-outs there..I can give you the pin-outs for the 2003 Hemi.If you decide to go that way...
Here's some info about the "2003" C-1 "Black Plug", Pin-out.......
Pin # 2, 7, 10, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19, 23, 24, 28, 33, 34, 35. are missing.
I don't think the 2004 C-1 plug is missing all these pins.They used them to replace the TCM.If you have them,chances are good that you have a 2004 PCM...

Sorry " Go to Images",on your computer.

Last edited by jasonw; 06-02-2011 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Merging double posts.
Old 09-18-2010, 05:11 PM
DDIRI
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SO no way a 04 computer will run an 03 motor. I guess I might have to switch over to a 04 harness then. ahh now I get to wait on funding.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:31 PM
HemiDak-Quad
Captain

Yes ,An 04 Harness "With the same 04.computer" will work on an 03 Motor.Mine is a 04 Motor with an 03 Harness and computers. I was told by the seller that my motor and tranny was a 2003, so that's what I got for it. If I had only known the difference at the time I would have went with the 04 Harness and computers..You can do a 03 or 04 BUT you have to match the harness and computers, You can't use a 2004 Harness with 2003 computers,or vise versa....
HOWEVER, Since you have a TCM and PCM, Both on your existing truck wires , It might be easier to figure out which wires go where from your PCM if you go with the 03.In the long run there is more options when it comes to performance "chips" and parts for a 2004, computer. This is an option that's good to weigh now while you're just starting and not have to change later.....

I have parts, Let me know which way you want to go,I might be able to sent something just to get you started..If it's something I don't have much into , I'll only charge for S/H...Not the harness or whatever you need..
By the way . Did you figure out what year your computer is ???

Last edited by jasonw; 06-02-2011 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Merging double posts.
Old 09-19-2010, 01:43 PM
DDIRI
Professional

Mycomputer is def an 04 I bought it still thinking that the 04 had a TCM as well. I think it will be better to go with the 04 harness. Seeing as I will still need to scrounge up a TCM. It will be better long run to get something with after market support. I want to keep the truck as stock as possible so I'm going to try to find an APPS at the pick a part. What all parts do you have? That is too generous an offer to turn down. I'm still waiting on my frame mounts. so I'm kind of at a stand still. don't really want to wire everything up, just to have to pull it again to weld in the frame mounts.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:34 AM
HemiDak-Quad
Captain

Frame mounts and cross member...Those are the first steps along with the transmission cross member and drive-shafts...I have a chopped up 2004 wiring harness with all 4-plugs.One plug is cut off.I think it's the Black one.It could easily be spliced back together.
I also have a 2004 dash wiring harness "Not cut up"..I have a 2004 PDC..and a light harness that operates the"Lights-Horn, exc...I don't know if you'll need that,, If you do,,,I'll sell it ALL with PDC, for $200. I will gather it all tomorrow and send pictures- VIA-- Email if you send me your email address.I can't post pics on here for some reason...I will build you a plug and play harness for $500.00. When you get it -all you'll have to do is plug it into your Hemi-Computer- Then transmission...But you will have to use your 2004 Computer....Let me know if you'r interested in that,I might be able to do it for less...
Thanks............"George"..aka ...HemiDak-Quad...

Old 10-04-2010, 06:56 PM
DDIRI
Professional

sorry for the thread dying. Getting married end of this month so I really have't had any time to work on the truck.I decided I am going to ditch the 03 harness and go with an 04 much easier I also found these motor mounts online tell me what you think. Will these work?

http://www.shopatron.com/products/pr...googleshopping

Quick question what do I need to salvage off my existing wiring to save lights and everything. do I just need to run two fuse boxes????

Last edited by jasonw; 06-02-2011 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Merging double posts.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:36 PM
HemiDak-Quad
Captain

Your going to leave the PDC"Power Distrabution Center" also known as the Fuse box under the hood alone.That's what runs your light,turn signals,interior lighting power windows"Pretty much everything except the motor and transmission..And even some things there too...
You should have two plugs on the top "inside" the PDC..They will have about 16 wires between the two of them..I will send a pin out explaining where each wire goes..
There will be a few wires on the Black plug and a few on the White plug that you will have to cut, "I'll send that too",But not all of them..You will cut the Gray plug completely off...But befor you do, Make sure you follow the pin-out and mark each wire with a piece of masking tape..Pin number and what it goes to.This is the most important thing you could do..
Be carefull which wires you cut.If it don't have to be cut leave it..You're going to use the Fuse box that's under your hood...I'll send more info tonight when I get home...

Hey, DDIRI are you Russ?

DDIRI- Do you still need a TCM?

Last edited by jasonw; 06-02-2011 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Merging double posts.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:24 PM
DDIRI
Professional

Originally Posted by HemiDak-Quad
Hey, DDIRI are you Russ?
No my name is Kyle. So since I swapped my dash willI need the PDC off m 03 as well??? I was thinking of using an 04 wiring harness so I can use chips and programmers and being that I have an 04 computerI think it will be an easier cheaper fix to just swap the harness. especially since my plugs are all smashed upon my harness.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:14 PM
HemiDak-Quad
Captain

The differences in the 03 and 04 don't stop with the TCM and PCM.If you're motor is a 2003 I would use a 2003 wiring harness and computers. I have a 2004 Motor and Trans. I wish I would have known that before I used the 03 wires and computers.
2004 has the EGR, I think that can be bypassed if you don't have one on your motor,or you could add it.
You said you changed the dash ? Does that mean you took the gauges from a 03 Hemi and installed them into your Dakota ? If so you opened a new can of worms.
It would be better to leave the gauges -PDC - and the rest of that wiring alone.
But if you did change the gauges I have the Dash wiring harness you need to plug all that in..I'll send pictures if your interested.
I also have the complete PDC and harness from a 2004 Hemi..
I would like to take my 2003 wiring back off and replace it with an 04 harness..But I need a computer ..It won't be any time soon if I do, My truck runs too good..
Let me know what you need and if you decide to change the PDC and I'll try to help..

Old 11-10-2010, 10:38 AM
DDIRI
Professional

Yeah I swapped my whole dash out for the 03 dash. I thought it would be easier. I have an 04 computer with an 03 engine and harness. I was thinking of running both pdcs together. I was also thinking of swapping out my harness for an 04 harness that way I could use the computer I have. If I go that route I will need the 04 wiring harness and then I will be set if I try to use my 03 harness I will need a tcm and new pcm connectors. (mine hot all smashed up in the wreck) I was thinking I could just switch my lights interior and exterior over to my new dash controls. And just splice my door controls into the new dash harness. I need both wiring diagrams for a 97 ram and a 03 ram. If this is possible. Let me know what you think. I also still need the accelerator pedal position sensor setup.

Quick Reply: Hemi Swap into a 2nd Generation Ram