2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hemi Swap into a 2nd Generation Ram

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 03:40 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,205 Likes on 2,957 Posts

Tubing bender.

Basically, ANY round object, of the correct diameter of the bend you want to make will work. I have even used broom handles......

Old 09-09-2010, 03:59 PM
DDIRI
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sweet I'm gonna give that a try

Old 09-14-2010, 01:05 PM
HemiDak-Quad
Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I put a Hemi in my Dakota Quad cab.If you have any wiring question, I can help when you get that far.

Mine's under Hemi Dakota swap with pics.There are some pretty good pictures there.

Last edited by jasonw; 06-02-2011 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Merging double posts.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:33 PM
DDIRI
Professional

Thanks hemidak I actually read your entire post, possibly twice. I'm sure I will need some wiring help. I'm trying to figure out my frame mounts now. Also I was wondering what you did about the A.A.P.S. My truck didn't have one when I bought it and I can't find one anywhere. BTW you have one good looking truck.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:40 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you should not have taken ALL the wiring out from under your hood. Just the engine harness.

YOu could have saved cash on the lights.

Good job though!!!

Old 09-15-2010, 12:06 PM
HemiDak-Quad
Captain

I have a TCM for a 5-45rfe.$100.00.
I don't think you're going to have to do anything to your axles.
The lights,interior,guages,etc...work off the pdc from your truck.I wouldn't mess with any of that.I realize you've already replaced the dash wires,That's O.K.But you'll save a lot of time not getting into the lights or anything like that.Unless you just want to.
What do you mean A.A.P.S? Power Steering ?
When I built mine I ended up buying a LOT of parts I didn't need.So I still have them.
If you need a TCM for your Hemi "I'm assuming",You're going with a 2003 wiring harness Is that the year of the doner truck?. If I could do mine over again I would have went with a 2004 harness.
Let me know what all you need.I might have it.

Answers: If your truck came with a EFI and you have an electric fuel pump in your tank.You shouldn't have to change it. Whatever powered the 360 should be enough.I didn't change mine.I went from a 4.7 v8 to 5.7 v8.It works fine.If I go with a higher Cam,and want more than 390 HP Then I'll have to change it.

Your Radiator and A/C condinser "If It's Good",will work with the 5.7. Then you'll have to have a set of Hoses made to fit.
CAD Vacuum: That's something that will probably never get hooked up"Completely".Mine's not. Iv'e talked to several people who have done this swap and they say the same thing.BUT you will need the boxes that the wiring harness and hoses plug into.There's two"I THINK" one under the truck and one beside the battery."I Have the one that goes under the hood" if you don't.
DRIVE SHAFTS: It shouldn't be hard to find a Drive line shop "or" speed shop for that,but as you know,that will be one of the last things to do.
POWER STEERING:Should be a matter of just hooking up the two lines and hoping the box don't leak.If anything ,you might have to find one from a 2003-2005-Hemi Ram.Mine had a Rack-&-Pinion . 2x2."It leaked"when I first hooked the Hemi to it.I bought a new one for the Dakota,It works good.

Last edited by jasonw; 06-02-2011 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Merging double posts.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:14 PM
dodgeboy7
Veteran

http://www.pavementsucks.com/board/t...-and-lots-more

Found that long time ago maybe it well help

Old 09-15-2010, 05:36 PM
DDIRI
Professional

I appreciate the help guys

Accelerator pedal position sensor "fly by wire" my donor was missing the whole assembly. This is my biggest headache because I can't find it any where. I'm also wondering if I can use the 2004 PCM to replace my ECM I have a 2004 PCM I think I don't know how to tell the difference the guy I bought it off said it was off an 03 or 04.

Hemi-dak I was just thinking of going to a manual cable setup and just getting rid of my CAD Vacuum. I'm not sure I know what boxes you are referring to.

I also am kind of confused on the wiring. I wanted to use my stock second gen lights but use the Gen 3 controls for them. I haven't completely gutted the wiring in my truck yet just the engine harness and dash wiring. I have everything off my donor so I was hoping that would make the wiring easier. I keep going back and forth on the fuel pump. mostly because my fuel lines don't seem to be the same as the hemi ones. I was considering just swapping the fuel tanks if they were close to the same.

For the AC cooler and Radiator mine are good but the hemi AC cooler looks like it is bigger than mine plus it has its own Efan so I,m thinking of using my Rad and the AC cooler of the hemi

I think I will take you up on that TCM if I can use my harness and an 04 computer otherwise I might just get an 04 harness if it will run the 03 hemi which I don't see why it wouldn't.

Last edited by jasonw; 06-02-2011 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Merging double posts.
Old 09-16-2010, 03:08 PM
HemiDak-Quad
Captain

The A.P.P.S.BOX, Is hard to find on a Hemi truck,They are neatly tucked away under the battery tray way out of sight. Any junk yard that has a 2003-2004 Hemi Powered Ram will most likely have one.
2003 was the first year of the Hemi.So Dodge used a TCM and PCM setup just like the years before.
"In 2004" they figured out they could put it all in one box,So they did away with the TCM and added the Tranny,wires to the C-1 and C-3 plugs in the PCM.
IN 2005 Dodge changed EVERYTHING. They put the A.P.P.S in the cab under the pedel and made the Motor drop 4 cylinders when it's not under a load.They also added a few more sensors and gadget's no-one needs.
So you're choice is: Make "Sure" the computer you have is a 2004.They are NOT interchangable, Then get a 2004 wiring harness....I MIGHT have one.$150.00 with PDC."Fuse Box"....
OR :Buy the TCM for a 2003,and go with the Harness and computer you have."IF IT'S A 03'....
Why didn't the 2003 Ram Hemi"Doner" Have a TCM in it ?

THE Only way to change your A.P.P.S. over to a manual cable drive is to change the throttle body. OR change everything over to TBI. The TBI is around $4,000.00 ... You can get a cable operated throttle body for "around" $900.00. I think that's right ?
The easiest and cheapest way is to just find the A.P.P.S. Box in a junkyard somewhere and hook it up under your Battery Tray...
As for the Radiator and A/C cooler. You're right in thinking it will be easier and BETTER to use the one out of the Donor. I would use both fans.ELECT...And Clutch.Then you will never have to worry about overheating....
THE FUEL LINES; ..My Hemi Came with a cut fuel line.I wanted to use the line from the Dakota,But the connection was too small for the Hemi Fuel rail on the Motor....SO,with a small pipe cutter..I cut the fuel line from the Hemi off in the steel section,then cut the Dakota off in the steel section. Then I took a piece of 4" x 3/8" Hose and slid it over the steel sections of the lines meeting the two sections in the middle with J.B. Weld coating the steel lines to lube it and also glue it when it dries.. I put 2 Hose clamps on each side and It works like a charm.It will never build enough pressure to make it come apart.
IF you're harness from the Donor Don't have a Long 60 pin,plug with a bolt in the middle, then you have a 2004"That's the TCM,Plug.. I probably have a lot of things you need to help do the swap, but you have to pick a year either:2003 or 2004.
The Motor can be either> But The Computer(s) and harness have to be the same..
I hope this helps...."George".......

Yours is a 2003 Motor and trans.Like you said...Here's a number to call for the A.P.P.S. Box and about anything else you need. I had a hard time finding anything for a 2003 Hemi,there's just not a lot of them out there.The good thing is "The A.P.P.S. IS one of the few things that are interchangable between the 03-04, so you shouldn't have a hard time finding it...
SPALDING AUTO PARTS; 1-800-366-2070. Ext..603..Ask for Mike.
He'll help if he can,he helped me...

I can't tell from the pics.> Did you get the Transmission cross member ,rubber Trans. mount and Motor mounts from the Donor truck ? You'll need them..

Old 09-16-2010, 04:14 PM
DDIRI
Professional

thanks you have been a lot of help. . Is there any way to look at the computer and tell what year it is off of? The reason I am lacking parts is because the guy I bought the truck from had been selling parts off it he told me I only need the ECM and an alternator and ac compressor. he didn't tell me he had sold the APPS and the PWS pump TCM etc. So I have been having to piece everything back together I picked up my ac comp alternator and PCM for $280. I would like to use the 2004 if it is better the only question I have is will an 04 harness work with an 03 dash? I have heard it is a different code.

I actually was able to use my trans cross member and mount they line up perfect with the 545rfe. I do have the motor mounts from the Hemi I cut off all the excess differential mount stuff on them to make them just motor mounts. I have a friend who is a commercial welder who is going to weld me up some frame mounts. because mine don't even come close to lining up. they are about two inches too wide.

Quick Reply: Hemi Swap into a 2nd Generation Ram