2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hemi Swap into a 2nd Generation Ram

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 10:46 PM
DDIRI
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an 03 ecm on an 03 wreck. My truck has the transponder but when I had the lock smith come out to cut me a key they had the numbers wrong at dodge so he charged me 35 bucks to break my cylinder. I could have done that myself. But since the computer I'm using apparently had a transponder too now I may be in trouble unless I can find a work around. I don't know maybe a remote start guy would know I was reading that they make a bypass for remote starts but I can't find one. Thanks for the compliments always give to get some encouragement.

The Stealership closest to me is a bunch of stick in the muds too. I tried to have them cut me a key. Ten bucks right they won't do it because I don't have the title in my name on the hemi. I have a bill of sale showed the guy pictures of the truck and he still refused to help me. So anyone in the valley avoid earnhardt dodge.

Pics

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by jasonw; 06-02-2011 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Merging double posts.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:33 PM
HemiDak-Quad
Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a simular broblom when I first started mine...Check these wires and make sure they are grounded....
C-4, Plug, Pin Number 12-bk/rd. wire.
C-4, Plug, pin Number 13-bk/rd.
C-4, plug, pin number 14-bk/rd.
C-2, plug, pin number 27-bk/lb.
C-1, plug, pin number 18-bk/tn.sensor ground
C-4, plug, pin number 9-tn/bk. Sensor Ground

Then check these wires...
C-1, Pin # 11-lg/bk- Ignition output.
C-1, Pin # 12-lg/bk-Fused Ignition Output.
C-1, pin # 30-YL- Fused Ignition Output.

These are the most important to check..And the hardest.Check with the Diagram on my thred to see where they go, and make sure they don't go somewhere else..

C-3, Pin # 3-db/yl- ASD Relay control
C-3, pin # 19-dg/or-ASD Relay OUTPUT.
C-3, Pin # 28-dg/or-ASD Relay OUTPUT.
C-3, pin # 37-BN- -Fuel Pump Relay "Control"..

My guess is you don't have a ASD Relay wire connected correctly or a bad ground...Any wire that is "DARK" Blue and Black - Or -Black and "DARK" blue grounds somewhere..This includes the wires from the PDC...
Try looking them over and let me know what happens..

Looks good..

Last edited by jasonw; 06-02-2011 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Merging double posts.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:12 PM
DDIRI
Professional

Thanks. I still need to do some welding on the firewall. I will have a look at the grounds tomorrow raining like crazy today.
Do you know if that computer I got from you was a transponder model or not.

I really hate trouble shooting.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:24 PM
HemiDak-Quad
Captain

Originally Posted by DDIRI
Thanks. I still need to do some welding on the firewall. I will have a look at the grounds tomorrow raining like crazy today.
Do you know if that computer I got from you was a transponder model or not.

I really hate trouble shooting.
That's why they call it Trouble shooting and not problom fixing I guess...
I don't know what that means-"Transponder"-but I bought that computer from Spalding ..It's a junkyard, They sent me the VIN# From the Dodge 2500,Hemi. SO If you have to have it re-booted from the dodge "Steelership", You'll need it..I'll try to find it in my mess-"I call a shop" tomorrow.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:20 PM
DDIRI
Professional

The transponder is the little security box on the steering column that sends the chip code from the key to the computer telling it that it is or isn't the correct key.

Old 04-12-2011, 02:30 PM
HemiDak-Quad
Captain

Im sure it had a reguler key..I'll look for the box it came in from Spalding, It has the Reciept with the VIN number on it..You'll need it if you ever have to get Dodge to re-program it or anything like that..I'll send it just in case -IF-for some reason you might need it..

Old 04-12-2011, 08:30 PM
DDIRI
Professional

Update.

I figured out how to get the truck to give me the codes its throwing so here they are
P 0113 intake air temperature circuit high input
P 0517 battery sensor temperature circuit high
P 2106 throttle actuator control system forced limited power.

Anyone want to help me figure these out. I think the intake one is because I don't have an air box on it yet and the battery might be because I haven't swapped over the sensor yet but the P2106 has me confused.

so I reset the throttle control box. And that got rid of the P 0216. When I try to start the truck it turns over builds up pressure in the throttle body then it blows out of the throttle body. I reset the fuel pump relay and now the pump is working I do not have an evaporator purge sylenoid. I don't have my charcoal canister hooked up either but I'm not sure if that would cause it not to start. Looking for any help.

Last edited by jasonw; 06-02-2011 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Merging double posts.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:47 PM
HemiDak-Quad
Captain

you don't have to have you're EVAP purge system hooked up just right - but you do have to have it hooked up. The computer has to be able to read something from the system or it won't know what to do..Another thing -I forgot to mention..My truck "will not" start no matter what, unless I turn the key on then wait until all the lights on the dash go off even the seat belt light.Then sometimes-it still don't start.But I know if it's going to start within the first couple seconds..It only takes a second to start- or not.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:53 PM
DDIRI
Professional

Ok I'm going to try to hook it up tonight. I pulled all my plugs and they were wet so I know that fuel is flowing. I'm wondering if I'm getting spark. Can I test for spark like with a dirtbike or snowmobile? Pull the plug and crank it and see if it sparks? Where do the ASD wires go to I found the wires but don't know where to trace them to. I have all the original plugs attached that I can see. Would the truck being rolled cause starting problems?

Do you have it build up pressure and make a whooshing noise out of the throttle body?

Last edited by jasonw; 06-02-2011 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Merging double posts.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:41 PM
HemiDak-Quad
Captain

Yes, You can take a screw driver and test it like a motorcycle to check for spark. My truck starts within the first 2 seconds -or it don't, but it don't make any funny noise, and I have to let all the dash lights go off.I can spin it over all day, but if there's a dash light on,"even the seatbelt light", it won't start..
You don't have the intake box for the throttle body ? The intake preassure plug don't make much differance, but it will make it idle rough. anoher thing about my truck- The check engine light and ABS brake lights stay on once it warms up..
the only way to check the ASD that I know of is to, look them up on my thread.Write down the pin and wire color from the 4.7 then the Hemi, and make sure they are hooked to each other..I think they go to the PDC.
Do you have two white plugs on top of you're PDC, or are they under the dash??

Last edited by HemiDak-Quad; 04-14-2011 at 03:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Hemi Swap into a 2nd Generation Ram