2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Would you buy another Dodge Ram???

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 10:37 AM
1997DodgeRam
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had this dodge for a few days short of 13 years and the thought of buying anything else damn near brings me to tears. Screw who ever even brought this topic up! Would I buy another? Well it isn't something I have even thought of. If I could buy another 1997 with 8 miles on it then I would say hell yes with out a doubt, I'll take two! Only problem was I didn't have the money to buy a quad cab and now I have a regular cab truck in a family with 2 kids.

Realistically I have a truck with 146k and change that has never been to a mechanic. Ya I have had to do a little work, but to keep it in perspective in the grand scheme of things I am an automotive moron and have had 13 great years. (some credit goes to this forum)But for arguements sake If I got hit by a train on the way to work I would have to do my homework when it comes to looking for the next vehicle but first dibs goes to DODGE!

As for Toyota my wife drive a 4Runner but their trucks, capable or not, they look like $HIT

Old 06-19-2010, 11:57 AM
dirtyjoe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would buy another in a heartbeat!! I have drove other brands but they just don't come close to a Dodge. I have only owned MOPARs so I would never think to buy another brand. Yeah new trucks are nice but you can't work on them hardly anymore and that means alot to a shadetree mechanic like me.

Old 06-19-2010, 01:18 PM
dodgeram07
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ya,,,, long bed reg cab 4x4 5sp 12v ctd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! in a frist gen or a 2nd gen

i would love to have a frist gen again
Name:  truckss058-2.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  242.6 KB

Old 06-19-2010, 03:41 PM
fattmann

Yes I would, 317,000 miles and going strong. This is a truck from a farm, dirt roads, good sized loads etc.

Old 06-19-2010, 07:07 PM
CSCustomCars
All Star
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dodgeram07
ya,,,, long bed reg cab 4x4 5sp 12v ctd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! in a frist gen or a 2nd gen

i would love to have a frist gen again
Best picture I've seen in a long time.

Loved my first gen. Tank with wheels....

Old 06-19-2010, 11:13 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 2nd gen Ram is by far the best looking in my opion, I hate the looks of the 3rg gen, but I bought the best truck for the buck back in 06. Now I really hate four door trucks and 1/2 trucks are not built like the trucks I am used to.

If the need should ever arise to buy a new rig, I will look at all brands ( accpet ford ) and make the a educated gamble.

I'm your typical old school truck guy, solid axles, manual transmisson, 8 foot box, if I need to move people they can bring thier own car, for me utility is more important than 4 doors and a short box, as it stands now, the truck I would buy from any brand is not even made.

If dodge put a 6cy gas or diesel in a 1500 truck with a manual transmisson, I would step up and buy one with four doors and the short box and leave my 06 2500 Ram to the work and utility it was made for.

THe fourth gen Ram is unapealing to me as it sits but I do aprove the DNA that was brought forward from the 3rd gen Ram, to be blunt, all brands fail in some way, to be truthful, my first Ram, my 06 is the best truck I have owned.

A 3rd gen CTD with a 6sp man trans is more than tickle me ready, the new stuff is not.

Old 06-19-2010, 11:31 PM
lane
Veteran

Originally Posted by CSCustomCars
I was only referring to their trucks, not their cars. Specifically the tundra. They are having rot issues already. The 5.7's had to be re-called for something I can't recall at the moment. They can't yet take the hauling/towing abuse of the domestic trucks.

And yes, I'm slightly delusional.
yeah i dont know about Tundra's but i can tell you the older trucks are bullet proof besides those with the frame problems but those were also recalled and handled very well imo.

Old 06-20-2010, 12:07 AM
CPTAFW163
Champion

Originally Posted by Silver_Dodge
Ya, i'd buy another Dodge, but probably not another 2nd gen unless it was a Cummins. I have always liked the look of the 2nd gen best, but since they are 10 years old ( and older), I would probably look for something newer unless I could find a gem out there with really really really low miles. Now that I own a Hemi, I can tell how nice it would be to have one in a Ram, so that would be my other reason to look for a newer one. The magnum engines just don't hold a candle to the hemis.

So if I where to get a 1500, i'd probably try to get an '07 or '08. I just really like the look of those years the best of the 3rd gen Rams. I really don't like how the '09 and newer 4th gen Rams look.

If I was to get a 2500 with a Cummins, I would definetly still look at 2nd gens.
I was lucky and i got one of those gems. I still owned my 1996, but bought a 2001 with a 5.9. My 1996 5.2 has more *** (bc of mods) but there was a lot of potential with the 5.9.

Plus I upgraded to an extended cab (2 kids), leather seats, pristine interior, 4.10 gears, chrome brushguard w rocksliders, AND THE NEW STYLE CUPHOLDERS.

I bought the truck in aug 2009 w 41,250 mi Now it is at 49K and it is still running strong (had power steering pump and transfer case replaced UNDER WARRANTY). I was actually afraid to work on my truck doing all the mods, because it was in perfect running condition. I didn't want to mess anything up.

Old 06-20-2010, 06:57 AM
Crabman
Professional

Interesting replies. Pretty much what I thought I would hear.

I have to agree with a lot of you, I too, really like my 2nd Gen but I need to get an extended cab. I wish I could extend this one since I'm so familiar with it. I hate the thought of buying another and having to go through the acquaintance period. My truck is like my dog, eager and ready to go anywhere/anytime but occasionally craps on the carpet.

I don't know what truck is in my future but it will probably be another Dodge Ram. Thanks to Richard Petty, who originally got me into Chrysler, I've always been a Dodge fan. Although I have tried others over the years, I have to say since my first car in 1970 (Dodge Challenger) to my 1997 Ram, the Dodge brand has worked for me.

Old 06-20-2010, 04:09 PM
Skoubah
Rookie

Originally Posted by greenmachine
Sorry 3rd Gen guys but the 2nd Gens just have that look. You know the one that makes you say "That is a bad *** truck" while the 3rd Gens make you think "I think it wants to blow me". Just take a close look at that big ugly round grill. Again Sorry.
LOL. Exactly, i never could get used to that look. 2nd gen all the way.

Quick Reply: Would you buy another Dodge Ram???