2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Would you buy another Dodge Ram???

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 07:46 PM
Crabman
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Would you buy another Dodge Ram???

Well we have all bitched, moaned and complained about our Dodge Rams. My plenum, my tranny, my plug wires, speakers, radio, four-wheel drive, having to pull the hub bearings to cut or change rotors ('97 2500), paint, cracked dash, ball joints, steering box, universals. All this with only 88,000 miles and I take care of my truck. Not too dependable but what are my choices? A buddy's Ford F250 is just as bad. I looked at a Tundra but for me, it doesn't carry the load.

It's time for a new truck. The regular cab doesn't cut it anymore. My Ram runs great, it should everything has been replaced except the engine and my 360 purrs like a kitten. Heads will probably be next since I'm losing anti-freeze somewhere. With all this said, I like Dodge Rams. Are the new ones any better and would you buy another?

Old 06-14-2010, 08:04 PM
DODGEPWR
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, it all depends on how somthing has been taken care of and what its been threw in its life..

My truck has been great, 172,000 miles on it..Got it at 150,000 i beleive..

Things that needed to be replaced and got replaced:
CPS and the radiator.

Things that didnt need replaceing but i replaced anyway:

Plugs
Wires
Coil
TPS
Umm i think thats it.

I also deleted the check valve when i replaced the rad...My tranny is original and i havent had any probs. Truck has been great! Ofcourse id buy another one, Id get a 4x4 5 speed.

Oh yea, if your losing coolant and cant figure out where and smell it..Check your Radiator. It cracks right at where the side tank meets metal...

I also forgot to add, My truck is the most reliable vehicle in the driveway. If i need to take a trip somwhere, Its the one we take. No joke, i dont trust any other!!!

Last edited by DODGEPWR; 06-14-2010 at 08:09 PM.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:05 PM
ghost4321
Professional

I moan and complain about my "rolling scrap pile" of a truck all the time, but when I consider all the abuse it's taken from me it's honestly not doing to bad. I wouldn't go looking for another dodge exclusively, but if I came across one that fit my needs I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:12 PM
bigslick050
All Star

Without a question or hesitation, through all the work I've done to her, I would absolutely get another Dodge truck. My next will be the unkillable Cummins Diesel. The newer 3rd gen and 4th gen Rams are even better. It is my understanding that they are more dependable, slightly better fuel economy and are still better looking than all the other top brands. Now, every gen will have its short coming... ie Magnum V8 plenum blow out, 3rd gen interior not up to par...ect.

Are planning on buying a brand spanking new truck or just a newer used one? If you like your current truck, stick with a quad cab or ext cab 2nd gen. With a Cummins Diesel if you can afford it, there are still few low mileage ones out there. I believe I speak for most DF gas truck owners when I say most us wish we had the Inline 6 diesel powered beast. I know I do...

Old 06-14-2010, 08:22 PM
kj4cwa
Professional

I think the new ones are just newer. Older cars are made with better materials IMHO. Also keep in mind that it is harder to work on newer vehicles. Lot's more dealer only parts that need dealer only tools. If you buy an new one and use it you will be outside the warranty within 2 years, sooner if you mod it. Did I say they cost more to repair. The parts cost more too. The dealership will try and screw you on repairs. I think you could take that 20k you would spend on a brand new ram and redo your current truck top to bottom.

CSCustomCars
All Star
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Dodge.

But then again, I've driven fords and chevy's and dodge's and Dodge is just my favorite. Ford's are just weird. Chevy's are nothing special, looks wise, comfort, reliability, etc. Dodge's are comfortable, look awesome, and take a beating. I'd never hesitate to buy another dodge truck. I will never even consider and toyota or nissan truck. NEVER. Actually, I'd never own an import to begin with, so, ya, that answer's that question. But Like you said, toyota's just aren't up to par yet with their domestic counterparts. They might be someday, but I'll still never buy one.

army_greywolf
Professional

My neighbor has a Dodge like mine, but it is a 98, has I think 315K miles or something close to that, he's replaced U joints recently, and I know he did an oil pan gasket last fall, and the transmission is probably the second rebuild by now, but it still runs, he still puts a coat of wax on it when he can and the damn thing looks better than mine with 1/3rd the mileage. They last, but like everything you just got to ask yourself, does a payment cost less than planned and unplanned maintenance.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:24 PM
kj4cwa
Professional

Originally Posted by bigslick050
..... With a Cummins Diesel if you can afford it, there are still few low mileage ones out there. I believe I speak for most DF gas truck owners when I say most us wish we had the Inline 6 diesel powered beast. I know I do...
Yes the CTD is the exception to the rule in my book. Those engines will outlast the rest of the truck.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:37 PM
Johnboy11
Rookie

Well I know I am going to get flamed for this. I have owned 2 Dodge rams and 3 toyota's, a 92 toyota 4x4 with the v6 and then a 95 toyota 4 runner and a 97 toyota camry that I still drive every day. Both trucks ran for over 250,000 miles before I sold them, the camry I drive daily and it currently has 160,000 miles, the only thing major item I replaced on any of the toyota's is a alternator on the camry, and new seals on the 4runners power steering pump. My dodges i have replace 2 tranny's, converters on both,plenums, alternators on both and clutch fan tensionor pullies ect.... lots of other stuff the first dodge was a 94 and i gave it away because the tranny went out the 2nd time after a 1 yr rebuild with no towing and it only had 87,000 miles when i gave it away, my current one the tranny went out 3 months after I bought it used, its still running but I worry bout it all the time. It currently has 180,000 miles. I would love to have the new Tundra but currently cannot afford it. so I guess I will drive this dodge til it dies and and go back to toyota after that.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:48 PM
Mowhawk
Record Breaker

2001 or 98 dodge ram CTD 2500. In a second, in a heartbeat. Might even give my left nut for one ( who needs two anyway, those are for poser).

Hell yes I would.

Quick Reply: Would you buy another Dodge Ram???