2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Would you buy another Dodge Ram???

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 08:50 PM
Mowhawk
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnboy11
Well I know I am going to get flamed for this. I have owned 2 Dodge rams and 3 toyota's, a 92 toyota 4x4 with the v6 and then a 95 toyota 4 runner and a 97 toyota camry that I still drive every day. Both trucks ran for over 250,000 miles before I sold them, the camry I drive daily and it currently has 160,000 miles, the only thing major item I replaced on any of the toyota's is a alternator on the camry, and new seals on the 4runners power steering pump. My dodges i have replace 2 tranny's, converters on both,plenums, alternators on both and clutch fan tensionor pullies ect.... lots of other stuff the first dodge was a 94 and i gave it away because the tranny went out the 2nd time after a 1 yr rebuild with no towing and it only had 87,000 miles when i gave it away, my current one the tranny went out 3 months after I bought it used, its still running but I worry bout it all the time. It currently has 180,000 miles. I would love to have the new Tundra but currently cannot afford it. so I guess I will drive this dodge til it dies and and go back to toyota after that.
Hope your throttle doesnt get stuck...or frame disintegrate haha just playing......

....but really. haha

Old 06-14-2010, 08:51 PM
01BigRedPickem-up

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another 2nd gen Dodge.Lately I have been looking for a clean 1st gen diesel 4x4 or a Ramcharger.I bought mine with 50,000 miles on it used and it the best used truck I ever bought.I have 98,000 miles on it now and still love it!!!My .02 Lincolns

Old 06-14-2010, 08:52 PM
DukesOfHazzard
Record Breaker

Sure I already know all or most of the common problems for me dodge,(which for the most part been taken care of) why would I want to relearn another brands **** ups??.........

Old 06-14-2010, 08:55 PM
truegent81
Captain

Originally Posted by Johnboy11
Well I know I am going to get flamed for this. I have owned 2 Dodge rams and 3 toyota's, a 92 toyota 4x4 with the v6 and then a 95 toyota 4 runner and a 97 toyota camry that I still drive every day. Both trucks ran for over 250,000 miles before I sold them, the camry I drive daily and it currently has 160,000 miles, the only thing major item I replaced on any of the toyota's is a alternator on the camry, and new seals on the 4runners power steering pump. My dodges i have replace 2 tranny's, converters on both,plenums, alternators on both and clutch fan tensionor pullies ect.... lots of other stuff the first dodge was a 94 and i gave it away because the tranny went out the 2nd time after a 1 yr rebuild with no towing and it only had 87,000 miles when i gave it away, my current one the tranny went out 3 months after I bought it used, its still running but I worry bout it all the time. It currently has 180,000 miles. I would love to have the new Tundra but currently cannot afford it. so I guess I will drive this dodge til it dies and and go back to toyota after that.

i cant really speak so much on personal experience bc this is only my second truck but i can compare to my parents. my dad bought a brand new 94 toyota pre runner 4banger 5 spd and just traded it in two months ago. he did the basic maintenance and NEVER had anything go wrong with it. to be honest i was pretty damn surpised. my mom has a 2000 toyota 4runner and hasn't had major work done either. now when compared to my truck (which has a rebuilt tranny and new u joints, plenum, etc) the dodge looks weak..BUT i am looking forward to fixing this truck up the way i want and knowing that the work i am doing NOW will be cheaper than new truck payments. hell my dad bought a 2004 ford sport trac (not bc he loved the truck) but b/c he got a great deal on it. he cant wait until he pays it off (12,000$), builds up higher credit, and gets a ...DODGE RAM.

dodge does seem to have a lot of "issues" but once you get it fixed it will pay for itself in the long run..i want the damn new challenger too!

Last edited by truegent81; 06-14-2010 at 09:01 PM.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:03 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Absolutely yes.

Mine is my first Ram and I've had it for about two months. I knew before I went in search of one what the engineering deficiencies were and what it would take to correct them. After weeks of searching I found the truck that met my requirements: 4WD, AC, <100k miles, mechanically sound, and in factory stock trim without any signs of mickey mouse repairs. Over the course of the next several months I'll be correcting the engineering deficiencies, and will then have a truck that with what I consider an acceptable investment of my time and money will be very reliable. It'll also get some cosmetic work, the monstrous bumpers I need for deer and elk country, that kind of thing, and it'll be precisely the truck I want and need, and without breaking the bank to get it.

Ultimately, no matter which truck you buy you're going to end up with a truck that has its share of problems. If it's new you pay for the repairs up-front; if it's used you pay for them as they come along.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:14 PM
greenmachine
All Star

I have owned a total of 4 only because I kept upgrading, and will get another if anything happens. 96 SC work edition(v6,4spd) 99 SC SLT 5.2(converted to sport) 99 QC SLT Sport 5.2(RIP-t boned) and my current love 01 QC SLT Sport 5.2. Really love the new body style but dont want the payment. Rather just keep replacing parts.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:48 PM
redheadhunter21
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would and if I can afford it my next vehicle will be a 96-02 2500 with the Cummins, my truck has been dependable and has things that other fords and chevys can't touch, but then again if I got a good deal on any truck when the time comes around I would be able to deal with any of the big 3

Old 06-14-2010, 10:03 PM
EndIsNear
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by kj4cwa
I think the new ones are just newer. Older cars are made with better materials IMHO. Also keep in mind that it is harder to work on newer vehicles. Lot's more dealer only parts that need dealer only tools. If you buy an new one and use it you will be outside the warranty within 2 years, sooner if you mod it. Did I say they cost more to repair. The parts cost more too. The dealership will try and screw you on repairs. I think you could take that 20k you would spend on a brand new ram and redo your current truck top to bottom.
Amen. That's the truth. I think older vehicles are built out of better materials as well. Every knocked on the side of a newer vehicle? Sounds like the body is made out of aluminum cans...

Old 06-14-2010, 10:31 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,269 Likes on 3,016 Posts

The toyotas and such may be more dependable, but, they just dont have the capacity to do what I want.

When I found my truck, I was actually looking for a chevy..... but, they were not to be found. At all..... My Dodge had everything I was looking for, was within my budget, so, that's what I got.

Unfortunately, I did NOT do my homework before purchasing it, so, I probably paid more than I should have. (blown plenum, MAJOR brake shudder, which I did knock off the purchase price for, and turned out to be a 25 dollar fix.... I LOVE the brakes.. sloppy steering...) But, even with the blown plenum (which I am in the process of modifying my spare kegger....), it still runs great, shifts fine, (160K miles now.... don't know if the trans has been rebuilt or not...) and is a comfortable ride... well, for a 3/4 ton...

Would I buy another one? Yep. Armed with my new knowledge, I would be another one looking for a CTD 2500 4X4. If I happen to see one, I might just trade mine off.....

Old 06-14-2010, 10:35 PM
lane
Veteran

Originally Posted by CSCustomCars
I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Dodge.

But then again, I've driven fords and chevy's and dodge's and Dodge is just my favorite. Ford's are just weird. Chevy's are nothing special, looks wise, comfort, reliability, etc. Dodge's are comfortable, look awesome, and take a beating. I'd never hesitate to buy another dodge truck. I will never even consider and toyota or nissan truck. NEVER. Actually, I'd never own an import to begin with, so, ya, that answer's that question. But Like you said, toyota's just aren't up to par yet with their domestic counterparts. They might be someday, but I'll still never buy one.
You must be delusional...

Quick Reply: Would you buy another Dodge Ram???