2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

CAUTION! Coroded brake lines can fail!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 05:32 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haha, wow that is funny as **** (well not really, more ironic than anything). two brake line failures in one day. Makes me want to replace them all now... but stainless is too expensive

Old 06-17-2010, 05:55 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pcfixerpro
Makes me want to replace them all now... but stainless is too expensive
It's pretty cheap compared to body parts, including those the victims of the wreck were born with and probably want to keep intact.

Just a thought...

Old 06-17-2010, 06:54 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Trust me dude, he called me today and I said something along those lines.

Old 06-17-2010, 07:47 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
It's pretty cheap compared to body parts, including those the victims of the wreck were born with and probably want to keep intact.

Just a thought...
No arguement there. I already have to do the one. $350 for stainless + shipping is too much. I'll stick with the regular lines I guess. I'm screwed though because they need to order them so i won't get them until monday earliest if they order tomorrow. Sucks because I start work tomorrow lol.. was hoping to hitch a ride tomorrow and fix over the weekend but that ain't going to happen now. FML once again...

Old 06-17-2010, 07:53 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The important thing is that you're fixing the other lines before they fail. It's a good excuse to buy a power bleeder.

Thanks for not being one of those idiots who puts others at risk because he's too selfish to realize that can't afford to fix it means can't afford to drive it. I appreciate that a lot, having been hit by too many of them already. Stay safe and be well!

Old 06-17-2010, 08:32 PM
mr freeze
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Count me in.I have a busted brake line somewhere near the gas tank.Hopefully its something that can be repaired somewhat easily.Have brake fluid pouring out back there.I noticed it was a little low a while back but when I changed all my ball joints I guess the pressure I put on the calipers were the last straw.

Old 06-18-2010, 05:43 PM
saintdog1

Mine just went too.... 2 leaks just south of the master cylinder. replaced them all. a couple crumbled like rice crispies

Old 06-18-2010, 05:48 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Picked up my rear line today, other 3 are comming in tomorrow morning. $124.50 for four lines. :/ The stock hard line from the comination valve to the abs module looks brand new because it is sort of protected from the elements.. then again it can't be more than 6" long max total lol. No surface rust or anything. Where is a DIY for the rear line. I checked the fsm but I didn't see anything. They haynes is in the truck toolbox so I guess ill check that later on. I plan on disassembling it tonight for the most part. Pick up speed bleeders to help with bleeding, and... yeah do it up Need the truck back on the road asap.

Last edited by pcfixerpro; 06-18-2010 at 05:53 PM.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:37 PM
VEETEN
Captain
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The main line from the front to back is fairly easy.
I pulled the front plastic wheel well out to feed the line back down the frame rail, the multiple bends seem to get caught on everything. without the wheel well it was much much easier...
There are 2 or 3 clips between the gas tank and frame that you can't get to unless you drop the tank a bit. I dropped mine with a couple of jacks and a sheet of plywood, and snapped the new line into the clips.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:58 PM
vinnys

Try Inline Tube or Classis Tube for the complete set. They have both stainless steel and regular steel. The stainless will last the life of the truck. I used the steel ones on a Ford dump with a sander and plow, only lasted two years. Used the stainless on a 63 ****** about ten years ago and they still look like new. If you try to patch your old ones, they have to be double flaired.

Quick Reply: CAUTION! Coroded brake lines can fail!