2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Brake Light Switch

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 10:56 AM
TimSully88
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Light Switch

So I was towed home recently, it needed a starter...and the driver ratchet strapped my steering wheel to the break pedal. I understand his intention, but why not do the old seat belt through the steering wheel trick. His method broke my break light switch causing the light to be on constantly. So I pulled the fuse so the battery doesn't drain. I bought the new one and the plunger was way too long and it wont stay in the mounting bracket. Anyone else have this issue/did they give me the wrong switch?

Thanks,
Tim

Old 06-18-2010, 11:03 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd like to know what makes either you or the driver think the steering wheel was supposed to be secured.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:25 AM
TimSully88
Professional

Thats not the point or the question of this post. If you don't have anything to post related to my question, don't post at all. Thank you.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:29 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TimSully88
Thats not the point or the question of this post. If you don't have anything to post related to my question, don't post at all. Thank you.

Actually, it is related to your question because it helps get to a bigger issue.

Once again, age begets youth and inexperience.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:29 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,382 Likes on 3,122 Posts

Is the new switch that much different from the old switch? The plunger on mine is fairly long as well...... Did the switch come with a new mounting clip?

Old 06-18-2010, 11:33 AM
TimSully88
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Is the new switch that much different from the old switch? The plunger on mine is fairly long as well...... Did the switch come with a new mounting clip?
The new switch is significantly longer and had a mounting clip on it as well.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:36 AM
TimSully88
Professional

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
Actually, it is related to your question because it helps get to a bigger issue.

Once again, age begets youth and inexperience.
The reasoning behind securing the steering wheel is at the discretion of the driver. Anytime that I have been towed, I have seen this practice used. I am not a tow truck driver nor have I been to any type of towing school. I was under the impression that they would not want the wheel turning freely behind them. I realize with the ignition off, the steering wheel locks and would prevent this. Maybe they like a bit of security. I hope this answers any questions related to this "bigger issue"

Old 06-18-2010, 11:53 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,382 Likes on 3,122 Posts

According to popular theory (and the 2001 manual....) you should put the switch in, rotate it 30* to 'lock it in place'..... let the pedal up, hit the release tab, and you are done...... Doesn't sound like the 95 uses the same set up..... I don't have anything specific to your year.

Just as a 'paranoia measure', I would be tempted to verify that you do indeed have the correct part.... have a look at your parking brake switch, does the new switch you have resemble that one more?

Old 06-18-2010, 12:06 PM
TimSully88
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
According to popular theory (and the 2001 manual....) you should put the switch in, rotate it 30* to 'lock it in place'..... let the pedal up, hit the release tab, and you are done...... Doesn't sound like the 95 uses the same set up..... I don't have anything specific to your year.

Just as a 'paranoia measure', I would be tempted to verify that you do indeed have the correct part.... have a look at your parking brake switch, does the new switch you have resemble that one more?
Ahhh great point. I will have to check that out. Thanks!

Old 06-18-2010, 12:14 PM
TimSully88
Professional

Thanks Hey You. The little rotation was all it needed to keep it locked and then it calibrated itself. I noticed that it could rotate but the directions made me nervous with the "one time only" words.

Quick Reply: Brake Light Switch