2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need some transmission help, guys

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 02:33 PM
matty675
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Road Agent
By shift lever, do you mean the actual shift lever for the column shifter or the lever the TV cable is hooked to? What exactly does the TV cable do? Oh, the fluid I drained out was darkish.
the lever on the trans. sometimes when a trans has lots of miles like 140000 on it and has never been changed it can actually do the trans in because your taking out all those metal particles that are actually keeping the trans from failing but i dont think this is the case. yea my bad man theyre kinda brittle

Old 06-20-2010, 04:17 PM
Road Agent
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying some epoxy, if that doesn't work I'll get a cable in the morning. If I adjust in the front band screw like Monty said, how will I know if I've gone too far?

Old 06-20-2010, 04:21 PM
Road Agent

Originally Posted by matty675
the lever on the trans. sometimes when a trans has lots of miles like 140000 on it and has never been changed it can actually do the trans in because your taking out all those metal particles that are actually keeping the trans from failing but i dont think this is the case. yea my bad man theyre kinda brittle
I didn't find any particles in the pan but the magnet was covered in a slate gray slop, like toothpaste consistency.

Old 06-20-2010, 04:32 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

front band should be 72inlbs and back off 2-7/8 turns
Hey Jason, This guy wants to take over my transmission corner. He obviously knows more than i do.

Im fully aware what the factory adjustment is.

OP: Completely redo the band adjustment but this time go to 1 7/8 - 2 turns.

Old 06-20-2010, 04:35 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker

lol, please stop.

Old 06-20-2010, 04:38 PM
Road Agent

Originally Posted by MonteC
Hey Jason, This guy wants to take over my transmission corner. He obviously knows more than i do.

Thanks Monty, how will I know if I've gone too far?

Old 06-20-2010, 04:41 PM
army_greywolf
Professional

FWIW, I did my bands @ 2 front and back, got the right feel to it, but I had the liberty of doing this with the valve body out so I could visually verify if this was too tight or not, the threads on my case are slightly damaged, not to mention dirty so when you torque it, in your case probably a false reading, do what MonteC says he's the man on this.

Old 06-20-2010, 06:01 PM
Road Agent

Alright guys, fixed and adjusted the TV cable, reset front band to 2 turns, it's much, much better than it was, but now when I get on the gas, sometimes it will downshift real hard for a second, then upshift normal, would this be too tight of band adj. or TV cable adj? Also, it's eating trans fluid....I have 5.5 qts in it and it's in the middle of the add area, I thought the fill capacity was 4 qts? Thanks again for your help.

Hey Monty, can a guy adjust the rear band tighter also if need be?

Last edited by Road Agent; 06-20-2010 at 06:04 PM.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:58 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Road Agent
Alright guys, fixed and adjusted the TV cable, reset front band to 2 turns, it's much, much better than it was, but now when I get on the gas, sometimes it will downshift real hard for a second, then upshift normal, would this be too tight of band adj. or TV cable adj? Also, it's eating trans fluid....I have 5.5 qts in it and it's in the middle of the add area, I thought the fill capacity was 4 qts? Thanks again for your help.

Hey Monty, can a guy adjust the rear band tighter also if need be?
eating trans fluid? Do you have a leak? Fill capacity varies Could be anywhere from 4-6 quarts.

Old 06-20-2010, 10:32 PM
matty675
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MonteC

woh man take it easy, the smart comments arent necessary, wasnt sure if you mistyped the spec or somtn. had similar problems to what he was havn and was tryn to help him. im by no means an expert but again dont appreciate your smart commentary

Quick Reply: Need some transmission help, guys