2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

air bag suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 08:40 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

Just adding the air bags won't improve the ride. No.

However, as kx250f points out, removing all the leaves, except the main one (in order to locate the axle) and using the airbags as springs, would give a nice ride, when Unloaded, and could be aired up when you are towing, or have a load on. Keep in mind, doing it that way will lower the rear some (thickness of springs removed), and the rear end may sit even lower, due to not having the springs in there to support the weight. So, you would always have to run some pressure in the bags. Would it ride any better that way? I don't know......

I just live with it. Takes a bit of getting used to, after my cushy blazer..... (four door, no buckboard ride for me)

Old 06-27-2010, 08:40 PM
danynje
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks that answered my question.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:43 PM
torp74
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got 'em, love 'em too. I set 'em at 20 psi for the best ride. I can go all the way up to 80 for load lifting. Mine are firestone bags with an onboard compressor and controller. When my compressor was down I was riding without them, and I promise you, this beast rides much smoother with them inflated.

Old 06-28-2010, 03:11 PM
JohnnyZJ
Professional

Originally Posted by torp74
I got 'em, love 'em too. I set 'em at 20 psi for the best ride. I can go all the way up to 80 for load lifting. Mine are firestone bags with an onboard compressor and controller. When my compressor was down I was riding without them, and I promise you, this beast rides much smoother with them inflated.

x2.... runnin i think 15psi in them and the rear is smoooooth.... the fronts still a little jarring because i have crappy superlift shocks and diesel coils but i love the way my rear end is now (hehehe, sounds funny)

Old 06-28-2010, 03:28 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

Do these air bags make my butt look big?

Old 06-28-2010, 06:06 PM
Ugly1
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Do these air bags make my butt look big?
Why yes. Yes it does but bigger is badder *** not just bigger ***.

I like my Firestone Riderites, I'm pretty sure they limit wheel travel capabilities some.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:32 PM
chromed95
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by torp74
if you don't mind me asking, how much was that setup for yours? the compressor, controller, the whole works? I installed airbags on a buddies 3/4 ton chevy duramax a few days ago and he said he paid $250 for them ("Air Lift" brand?), but there was no compressor or gages or controller, just the air chucks that you mount where ever its best. After I installed those that's what got me thinking about putting some on my pickup

Old 06-28-2010, 10:45 PM
nathangfnd
Captain

on my 08 i installed firestone 5000 lb airbags with an airlift compressor and gauge for in the truck. they were super easy to install and work great to.

In my experience they do not really improve the rid quality at all but when i have 2 fourwheelers(bout 700lbs each) and a bed full of stuff the truck looks like normal. which always bugged me when i sagged.

I was in the same pickel as you, i hate when it sags(thats why i have a 2 inch AAL in my 99)so instead of a AAL i needed to lift the rear and got bags

Quick Reply: air bag suspension?