2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Buying ramps

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 09:24 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rwisaacks
I rarely go to advance, guess I need to use them more.
glad to help.
i've recently started visiting a new Advance that's near my house. They seem to have much better transmission filters (rubber gaskets instead of cork), better seals (National instead of Timken), and generally better pricing. everything at Autozone seems to be more expensive.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:27 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I don't trust any ramps.... Had a bad experience with 'em. .
i only use them for changing oil in the little cars that my kids drive. its easier than using the jacks. just be sure and chock the wheels !!!!

Old 06-26-2010, 09:51 PM
rwisaacks
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I do feel a little nervous getting under the heavy truck while on ramps, but it's high enough to change oil and stuff without raising it. I really need them for the mini-van, use the E brake and chock the rear wheels like dhvaughan said, it should be fine.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:00 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
i only use them for changing oil in the little cars that my kids drive. its easier than using the jacks. just be sure and chock the wheels !!!!
The car didn't roll off.... The ramps collapsed.... (3 ton ramps..... 2 ton car?? huh?) I got to spend some quality time practicing VERY shallow breathing under my caprice until my wife decided to come out and see why I didn't come in when she called me for dinner.. I couldn't draw enough breath to shout. I had some really cool bruises....

I will not use ramps.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:58 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

^ **** fire !! i'm glad you survived it. that must have been a LONG wait.

a tip that i once laughed at, but now practice - when the tires are removed i slide them under the edge of the vehicle.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:18 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have used the advance ramps for my wife's YUKON for the past 3 oil changes. THey worked like a charm.

They tend to slide when you are driving up them in a smooth surface garage floor. I don't need them for my truck.

I remember that advance was cheaper. Heck Harps (the grocery store) is cheaper on prestone 100% antifreeze. Autozone has it for 15 per gallon, and harps sold it for 10 per gallon. Wallmart is the cheapest. HOWEVER, they do not have rewards cards like autozone.

About prices:
Go to wallmart for RTV sealant, lucas oil additives, grease and other things like that.
If you are an autozone rewards guy, use it wisely, and never spend over 20-25 per trip (you get $20 credit every time you make 5x $20 purchases. SO you basically make 20 for every 100 you spend in 6 months).

I ussually spend that much in 6 months. Oil changes for 2 cars every 3 months. and little odds and ends.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:49 PM
rwisaacks
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I bought the ramps from Advance tonight and I really liked how much easier it was to change oil in the kid-hauler, my driveway is kinda rough so no slipping. I cut some chocks out of 4X4 and they worked good. I was looking around Advance and they ARE cheaper than autozone.

Quick Reply: Buying ramps