2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

used 95 ram 3500 5.9 good and bad

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 02:43 PM
micahtbyrd
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default used 95 ram 3500 5.9 good and bad

Looking at a used 95 Ram 3500 chassi cab, 2wd, 12v 5.9, 47RH auto, 170K. Truck has nice 12ft bed, and allum undermount tool boxes, little rust on bottom of doors, a usual torn driver seat. In all its in solid good shape, for an OHIO truck of 15 years...I have heard it run, sounds strong, no wierd noises, but have not driven it, I am setup to drive it later next week....Owner is asking $4000, and is willing to throw in a new door for the driver side, because of the minor rust, and replace the steering wheel, because it is worn.

I would like to pay less, but what are some areas to check, common problems, and or systems to check on a test drive....Thanks for the help...

If it helps i will use this as a secondary tow/dd at my company for hualing and setting precast concrete products...Will see 4-6K a year....

also what cost will i be looking at to fix probs if they are present. Thanks....Micah.......I am mechanically mined not a noob, but i am new to dodge 2nd gen diesels....

Old 07-01-2010, 04:30 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Welcome to DF.

The diesels are notoriously bullet proof. The auto trans is the weak point. I don't think quite as bad as the gassers though. When you drive it, make sure it shifts out nice..... the fluid doesn't look burnt, or smell bad. (well, as far as tranny fluid goes anyway....)

Old 07-01-2010, 05:14 PM
micahtbyrd
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya i had guessed the tranny would be the weak point. I am guessing for my useage if its in good shape, and has been taken care of it will last. I am aware of the KDP problems, and have read up on how to fix that issue...I am still kinda unclear on the afc deal and what to look for on a used truck as far as tampering. I am planning to keep this stock, not really i need of crazy power, I just need it to tow and be reliable, reliability is the most important.

As far as dodge tranny problems, I have had 3 dodge gassers in my fleet in past years 2 1st gen 350's with 360's both had 4spds, and were great trucks...I also have a 95 2500 and it has had all the reg 2nd gen for a gasser including a tranny rebuild at 40k but it has been a very reliable strong truck....Thanks for the help any other issues i should check durring a test drive...

Old 07-01-2010, 07:20 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Just the usual stuff for any used vehicle. Does it drive good, stop good. Not make any rude noises..... (outside of the normal rude noises for a diesel....) Nothing obviously broken or missing, etc..

Quick Reply: used 95 ram 3500 5.9 good and bad