2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

AC compressor replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 03:10 PM
CSXfan
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC compressor replacement

Hi all,
I'll be replacing the AC compressor on my '99 1500 some time this week. I'm planning on buying a reman compressor from Advanced Auto. I am pretty mechanically inclined, but I've never messed with AC before. So my questions are...
1. Are there any specialty tools required?
2. What extra parts/fluids will I need to complete the install?
3. Once I complete the install, how do I recharge the system? Or should I just take it to a shop for that?

Adv Auto offers a 1yr warranty on this compressor as long as I provide a reciept showing that the accumulator was replaced at the same time. Is it worth it? Is there anything difficult about replacing the accumulator? Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 07-05-2010, 03:53 PM
beefythedodge
Veteran

whenever you buy advance auto parts you should do what is neccerary to generate a warranty. the accumulator/drier should be less than 50 bucks, and is always recomended whenever you crack your ac system open. other than that it is straight forward.

make sure when you put the new compressor in leave the plugs in the holes until it is installed. this will prevent you from pouring the oil out of it.

recharging when you are done is easy. just buy a couple of cans of r-134 with one of those nifty dispensers with a guage on it. you system will only take a charge while the compressor is kicked on. and until it is close to charged it most likely will kick on and off. so just pull the trigger while the compressor is running. and before you know it you will be cold!

Old 07-05-2010, 04:00 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,274 Likes on 3,021 Posts

Before you recharge the system though, you need to have it evacuated. If you just charge the system without doing so, you will have compromised performance, and shortened the life of ALL components.

Old 07-05-2010, 04:33 PM
ryan0714
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just unbolts the refrig. lines going to the top of it, un bolt the compressor from the mounts and the put the new one on. and recharge it.

Old 07-06-2010, 01:19 PM
Davect06607

As Hey You stated, the system has to be evacuated! Or you'll be replacing another compressor.

Your system has to be under vacuum to boil out any moisture.
I would suggest bringing it to a shop.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:52 AM
CSXfan
All Star

How do I evacuate the system? Could I have a shop evacuate the system for me and then drive it home and replace the compenents myself?

The shop wants an arm and a leg to diagnos and fix it for me, and I already gave up those limbs to put gas in my truck.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:02 AM
CSXfan
All Star

Ok nevermind. I did some research and it looks like it has to be evacuated everytime the system is cracked. Sooooo....what if I replaced the compressor and accumulator myself and then brought it to a shop to be evacuated/charged. Would 10 miles of driving do that much damage to the new components?

Old 07-08-2010, 11:56 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by CSXfan
Ok nevermind. I did some research and it looks like it has to be evacuated everytime the system is cracked. Sooooo....what if I replaced the compressor and accumulator myself and then brought it to a shop to be evacuated/charged. Would 10 miles of driving do that much damage to the new components?
Nope. Won't do any damage at all. With no pressure in the system, even if you request a/c (as that is all you can really do anyway....) the system will completely ignore you, and will not engage the compressor. You could drive it till the cows come home, and still not damage anything.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:41 PM
donnybrian

i have the same problem right now, any pointers would be appreciated.

Old 12-07-2010, 10:16 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Which problem?

Quick Reply: AC compressor replacement