2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

WARNING to those with E Fans!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 12:44 AM
sprntpshr
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueBeast2
Just got back from the garage to have my ac recharged. Turns out that my e fans were causing part of the problem. Guy told me as long as the fans are on I'm fine, if their off the pressure in the ac system goes EXTREMELY high. Just wanted you other guys to know this so you don't explode your system. Mine is hooked to a temp sensor so they only come on when needed. I need to find a way to wire them to a switch or jump them off the ac to come on and stay on while it's on.
Good to know, never been a "fan" of E fans. Got more than enough grunt with my 5.9 for what I do with the engine driven fan.

You could wire the fan so the compressor clutch powers a relay which then powers the E fan. Both on the same circuit (compressor/fan) may draw too much current for the A/C switch to handle but the clutch and a 12v relay coil it should handle.

With out a cooling fan running compressor head pressure spikes causing leaks, compressor damage, blown seals, poor cooling and loss of system capacity.
Should be sweet for the trip south If not then take it back and get the tech to find out why it failed under warranty of course.

sprntpshr

Old 07-10-2010, 01:38 AM
BlueBeast2
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm probably gonna do a relay off the compressor so there's no chance of me forgetting to flip a switch on. I also might add a switch just for ****s and giggles. Figure if I'm sitting in traffic and my tranny temp gets too high I can turn the fans on and pull some air through the cooler.

Glad somebody knows about this subject and not just talking out their ***

Old 07-11-2010, 10:19 PM
mjackson92rs
Professional

Originally Posted by BlueBeast2
I'm probably gonna do a relay off the compressor so there's no chance of me forgetting to flip a switch on. I also might add a switch just for ****s and giggles. Figure if I'm sitting in traffic and my tranny temp gets too high I can turn the fans on and pull some air through the cooler.

Glad somebody knows about this subject and not just talking out their ***
+1 on using a relay as opposed to a manual switch. Just another thing to worry about when driving that you will most likely forget to do (no offense) and good luck trying to explain that to someone your lending your truck too!

I am very surprised that your E-Fan kit didn't come with an A\C input. Everyone I have seen out there has one.

Old 07-11-2010, 11:11 PM
BlueBeast2
Champion

Fixed this up today. pcfixer came over and we wired a relay that when the ac is turned on it trips that relay to trip the other 2 that were already installed and turns the fans on. We also added a switch so I can turn them on manually if I ever need too. Works great and the ac feels good.

LOL lend someone my truck??? Nobody drives my truck or Mustang but me. My parents have driven my truck before the rebuild but my mom always hated driving it the few times she had too. She don't want to drive it at all now. My dad drives like an dumbass so I don't let him drive. I let them drive my explorer cause I don't care about it

Old 07-12-2010, 12:38 PM
sprntpshr
Professional

One thing I was thinking of is to add an LED somewhere you can see it, that would only power on if the fans were being powered from the final E-fan relay. That way if any of the precedding electrical circuit failed you would know if the fans are not running or there is power to the fans and you can't hear them running. Just a thought..

Not too many people drive my vehicles, past experiance is just overloaded with reasons as to why not!

sprntpshr

Old 07-12-2010, 12:41 PM
BlueBeast2
Champion

Most of the time you can hear them kick on.

Old 07-12-2010, 12:54 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I've had my e-fans fail 1 time due to a bad butt connector. My trans temp gauge is what tipped me off. in the worst case, I never get above 185. This spiked up to 196* and I pulled the hell over to find out what was up. had to strip wire and the butt connector off with my teeth and twist the wires together to get home. Tasted like, well, butt.

Now I only use butt connectors, rings, and terminals that have the heat shrink adhesive for all wiring jobs.

Old 07-12-2010, 01:02 PM
BlueBeast2
Champion

I tried to soilder all my connections. Now the new ones arn't but it's just a temporary fix till after I get back from vacation. I usually put tape over them cause I don't really trust them 100%. I'm pretty **** about watching my gauges now. I know when the fans should kick on. Yesterday I was freaking out cause it didn't cool down fast enough for my liking. I told Greg you would think with the fans on all the time it wouldn't get warm. I did have the AC on and was going up a pretty big hill though. As soon as I hit the top of the hill it dropped right down.

I see high trans temps all the time but having the higher stall converter that's normal. Sucks in a way cause I can't say well the guys on df never go above this.

Old 07-12-2010, 01:40 PM
dodgeram07
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got a little light to tell me when my efan is on
Name:  0710001822.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  74.9 KB

Old 07-12-2010, 04:40 PM
BigRedRam95
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dodgeram07
i got a little light to tell me when my efan is on
I have been thinking about doing that

Quick Reply: WARNING to those with E Fans!!