2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

The night before the gears go in... UPDATED

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 09:05 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...showed-up.html

I ****ed up a bit when ordering I forget to ask for a rear yukon but oh well.

I have been looking over that gear in period thing you posted, is it really nessary to stop and let them cool down like that? It would take me about 2hrs to get home.

I know tomorrow on the way home I'll be in stop and go traffic.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:49 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Hammers right, don't take any whine. If she whines go back immediately and slowly. Be sure t check 4wd too!

It's more heat than distance you're worried about when breaking them in. Stop and go won't do much to build heat as the Diff won't be working really hard.

Make sure you heat cycle the front set at some point as well.

Old 07-13-2010, 10:02 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend

For the most part the ride will be in traffic and the speed limits are between 45-25 so speed won't be an issue. I just HAVE to keep my foot out of it.

What do you mean by cycle the 4x4? I though as I drove the front would break in at the same rate as the rear?

Old 07-13-2010, 10:25 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

Originally Posted by dodge15004x45.9
For the most part the ride will be in traffic and the speed limits are between 45-25 so speed won't be an issue. I just HAVE to keep my foot out of it.

What do you mean by cycle the 4x4? I though as I drove the front would break in at the same rate as the rear?
If you aren't in four wheel drive, the ring and pinion in front aren't turning. Not to mention there is no load on them in any event. Need to find some gravel parking lot, or a nice straight stretch of road, and engage the 4x4, and see what it sounds like. Keep in mind, you need to break in the front gears, and that can ONLY be done in four wheel drive.

Old 07-13-2010, 10:32 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend

Guess I'm gonna used 4wd as much as I can on the ride home and have to inform dad about this as well.

Didn't know I have to drive 500 miles in 4wd. This kinda of sucks. Lots of gas gas gas.

Old 07-13-2010, 10:51 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

don't run 4wd on paved roads. 500 miles of dirt road... LOL.
might take about 5 years.

Old 07-13-2010, 11:16 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend

Up here with out a question.

But I can run the 4wd on the straight parts.

Old 07-14-2010, 04:45 AM
army_greywolf
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
No matter what they tell you, gears should have not a hint of a whine in them, if they whine when you pick it up, take it right back!

Out of curiosity, what brand of gears and locker did you go with?
That's not exactly true. Gears can be cut with a larger shear face that will indeed whine because the backside of the gear teeth cause it. In fact I bought I want to say richmond gears, and the install sheet said right on it, it is normal for there to be a barely audible whine when off the throttle at highway speeds. It is abnormal for it to be loud, or heard over the drone of exhaust, or at very low speed... Now I am wondering if it was richmond I bought the gears from...I'm fairly confident in saying yes to that.

I drove about two tanks worth with the open locker in the front and was careful about turning and parking, so forth. My front oil looked especially bad when I did change it, so it is worth doing right.

Last edited by army_greywolf; 07-14-2010 at 04:47 AM.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:10 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Most Richmond gears have that issue. Yukons are usually Richmond rebranded, but the shot peening Yukon does typically gets rid of that whine.

There's only a few companies that actually make gears and everyone else rebrands them. Some don't do a damn thing to them except repackage and markup the price.

I one set I've been warned against repeatedly is Genuine gears, every shop I called warned me about them (except 4wheelparts as they sell them). One guy even told me they should rename the company Gen U whine.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:37 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I've had Genuine's in my truck for almost five years now, never had a hint of whine. They are actually re-branded Auburns or at least were back when I got mine, I confirmed this with an Auburn rep at a truck show. I went with them because of the Lifetime Warranty.

I think the reason why Genuine's got such a bad rap is that they are primarily sold by 4 Wheel Parts and the typical 4 Wheel Parts store doesn't pay well. As a result they have a bunch of sorry a$$ installers. I know a guy who is a mechanic at my local Dodge dealership who worked at a 4 Wheel Parts right after high school as a "tech" for all of $9 an hour. He's got some real horror stories about the sh*tty work turned out by lousy techs at 4 Wheel Parts in Orlando!!!

Now my local 4x4 shop sells Genuines and I've sent about half a dozen guys there for gears, two members of this forum included and none have had a hint of whine.

Yeah you can get a bad set once in a while from ANY manufacturer, but with gears IT'S ALL ABOUT THE INSTALL!!!

It's funny how a component can get a bad rap in no time anymore though. I had NEVER read a bad thing about Motive Gears ever and we had a kid in 3rd Gen go through two sets that supposedly howled like hell. Got the first set swapped out by Motive, no questions asked. Second set howled and the installer had the kid buy a set of Yukons finally stating "I've never had a set of Motive's that worked". The Yukons didn't make a hint of a sound. Kid got his $ back from Motive, again with no difficulty. Was it the gears or did the installer just get lucky on the third install? I dunno, but I know probably two dozen guys running Motives without issue.
But the kid got on here and a couple other forums and really bashed Motive. Now I have read how they are NO GOOD on about every forum recently. Most of them linked to posts made from the kid from here that he either made on DF or another forum...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 07-14-2010 at 11:56 AM.

Quick Reply: The night before the gears go in... UPDATED