2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Vibration when braking and at 80MPH

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 06:44 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,269 Likes on 3,016 Posts

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
Yes, I know they have a minimum thickness, but at today's prices it's cheaper to chuck them and go new. My dad was a design engineer who loved talking with the Ford engineers about brakes. They literally walked, talked, ate, and shiat brakes and anything to do with braking systems.

Also note that in order to save weight for gas ratings, the auto companies equip new vehicles with brakes that typically don't last long. Why? Thinner rotors/drums saves weight.
Very true on the newer cars...... I guess I am just old skool.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:07 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Very true on the newer cars...... I guess I am just old skool.
Me too. That's why I always upgrade rotors, calipers, drums, shoes, et cetera the first time I have reason to mess with them. A car that won't go is a nuisance, a car that won't stop is a deathtrap!

Old 07-25-2010, 07:40 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
Me too. That's why I always upgrade rotors, calipers, drums, shoes, et cetera the first time I have reason to mess with them. A car that won't go is a nuisance, a car that won't stop is a deathtrap!
Agreed. I always upgrade/improve on the brakes. It kills me in car forums where guys talk about the massive upgrades they want to make on the engine/transmission and are flummoxed when asked if they intend to upgrade their brakes.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:09 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
Agreed. I always upgrade/improve on the brakes. It kills me in car forums where guys talk about the massive upgrades they want to make on the engine/transmission and are flummoxed when asked if they intend to upgrade their brakes.
funny you should say these things,

My next project for my truck are cryogenic rotors and MAYBE the drum to disc conversion for my rear. I like the power from the SCT and 1.7s, so that is good for a few years.

Brakes were the next thing that i wanted to do.

Here are the rotors:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PWR-8748XPR/

Drum to disc conversion kit: Single piston disc brake.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SSB-A158-1/

I just think that the conversion kit is a pretty original thing. However, it means swapping the axles with what comes in the kit. I have never done that.

--Dan

Old 07-25-2010, 09:37 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I Think you may have multiple brake system issues.

Vibration can definitely be warped rotors.

Pulling to one side usually indicates one brake caliper is not working. This can be caused by a failed caliper, debris in the line, debris in one chamber of the Brake Master Cylinder, a corroded metal line that leaks fluid/sucks air, a failed rubber brake line near the calipers.

Those rubber brake lines can fail internally, and not even be visible on the outside. A good indicator is brake fluid that looks black and has "stuff" floating in it, especially visible in the BMC reservoir.

I know I'm due to swap those rubber lines out, I want to get some SS braided lines.

Silver, if you read this, can you post up the link to those SS lines you bought?

Last edited by aim4squirrels; 07-25-2010 at 09:44 PM.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:10 PM
Gary-L
Legend

Originally Posted by aim4squirrels
I Think you may have multiple brake system issues.

Vibration can definitely be warped rotors.

Pulling to one side usually indicates one brake caliper is not working. This can be caused by a failed caliper, debris in the line, debris in one chamber of the Brake Master Cylinder, a corroded metal line that leaks fluid/sucks air, a failed rubber brake line near the calipers.

Those rubber brake lines can fail internally, and not even be visible on the outside. A good indicator is brake fluid that looks black and has "stuff" floating in it, especially visible in the BMC reservoir.

I know I'm due to swap those rubber lines out, I want to get some SS braided lines.

Silver, if you read this, can you post up the link to those SS lines you bought?
You're due? I have 208K on mine and am itching to completely go through the entire brake system. Got a source for the SS braided?

Old 07-26-2010, 08:26 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Yeah, I have a bunch of black bits n' pieces in the BMC reservoir.

PM Silver_Dodge on where he got his, I'll try to search for that thread.

I think Junior Mechanic once said is dad's shop used to make them too, might wanna ask him as well.

EDIT: found it

http://www.egrbrakes.com/brakelinekit.htm

Last edited by aim4squirrels; 07-26-2010 at 08:41 AM.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:00 AM
Gary-L
Legend

Originally Posted by aim4squirrels
Yeah, I have a bunch of black bits n' pieces in the BMC reservoir.

PM Silver_Dodge on where he got his, I'll try to search for that thread.

I think Junior Mechanic once said is dad's shop used to make them too, might wanna ask him as well.

EDIT: found it

http://www.egrbrakes.com/brakelinekit.htm
Flippin' Sweet!

Quick Reply: Vibration when braking and at 80MPH