2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

is the brake booster causing this noise??

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010 | 02:20 AM
townsley4
|
Veteran

thats pretty sweet u got season tickets to the football games, i usually go to the basketball games more than football. and i live about 20 miles east of champaign in the country. my truck is a daily driver for me. 127k miles and had new shocks, u joints ball joints, torque converter, tranny rebuild, new steering gear, new exhaust...and plenum fix soon i think. and whatever is making this noise.

Jrob, i crawled under the truck and the driveshaft seems pretty tight, doesnt wiggle hardly at all. and it doesnt pull to either side, but i will check out the steering shaft and everything else out tommorow and get that vid. it sounds like the noise is coming from where the brake booster is, but im not sure they could make such a noise. anyone know if they can?

Last edited by townsley4; 07-28-2010 at 02:22 AM.
Old 07-28-2010 | 02:22 AM
FarmBoy428
Veteran

Nice, all i have done into my truck is nothin. Before i got my truck that was the first thing i checked was the plenum. But it looked perfect (:

Old 07-28-2010 | 02:24 AM
JRob238
Professional

im kinda stumped on this one. I wouldnt think the brake booster would make the noise. Its not engaged is it?

Old 07-28-2010 | 05:22 PM
townsley4
|
Veteran

ok so i tried to get a video but you couldnt hear it. before i left i put it in 4hi, and back in nuetral, then in 4low and back to 2hi just messing around with it, and the noise wasnt hardly noticable at all. maybe it is the transfer case making the noise? my 4wd light works and turns on and off goin in and out of 4wd. you would think if it ws going in and out of 4wd the light would be flashing or something. i know osmetimes to get out of 4wd i have to go in reverse a few feet. i dont think its the brake booster now, but it still sounds like its coming from somwhere in the middle of the dash, the grinding,chirping noise. im not sure what it could be

Old 07-28-2010 | 05:30 PM
JRob238
Professional

have you had your front dif serviced lately? Or do you have a front locker? If im not mistaking the driveshaft still turns even if 4wd is disengaged.

Old 07-28-2010 | 05:56 PM
townsley4
|
Veteran

no the only thing ive had done ot the front like that was new axle seals because they wer leaking, and a tranny rebuild. havnt had the dif. looked at. and no the front driveshaft doesnt turn when in 2wd. i can turn it freely with my hand. and the noise also happens in 4wd. its strange because it doesnt matter how fast or slow your going the noise always stays the same..doesnt speed up or slow down. just gets louder or quieter

Old 07-28-2010 | 06:26 PM
JRob238
Professional

Not the driveshaft
not the booster
not in the braking system
probably not the transfer case

im really gonna have to think on this one

So its a grinding sound liking metal rubbing metal or is it more like a spining grind? And you say its constant right? Not speeding up just softer or louder.

You may have said this but if you could say on area of the dash to where it sounds to be coming from where would you place it? More in the middle, towards the floor?

Old 07-28-2010 | 08:41 PM
townsley4
|
Veteran

yea it puzzles me to, i cant seem to find it.

and yea it is a constant spining grinding noise. It does get louder and quiter but not faster or slower. doesnt really sound like metal grinding, just a grinding/chirping noise. It really sounds like its coming from the drivers side in the dash. somewhere infront of the steering wheel. and it is loudest from about 5-20 mph especially turning or going over some bumps.

Old 07-28-2010 | 09:07 PM
JRob238
Professional

From that I would say recheck the steering gear and the column. Thats the only thing I could think that would make that kind of sound. Im not really familiar with anything steering with the exception of track bars and the like. Im more knowledgable on axles, suspention and anything to due with 4wd. But if I had to make a guess the steering is where I would start.

Old 07-28-2010 | 09:29 PM
townsley4
|
Veteran

yea i thought of that, but its like a constant noise, the steering isnt constantly spinning/grinding. besides i put a new stearing gear box in it, and it was doin this before that. might have to have a mechanic take a listen to it and see what they come up with if i cant pin point it

Quick Reply: is the brake booster causing this noise??